• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing the aspell and ispell databases on this server to enable a real-time spell checker for posts and PM's. It is a little complex, so I want to get a reaction before I do this.

Is this a feature you guys would like?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Unnecessary, IMO. We're all adults here and we should be able to spell reasonably. Even if we don't, just long as we get our point across...would it matter?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I agree...and since at work I use a shitty port replicator for my laptop I get all sorts of nasty typos and extra characters...

And I still don't know how to spell their / thier...:D

·
Grand Master Fu
1,934 Posts
I can do without, but if you want to go to the effort, I'd probably use it a fair amount. Would save me from going to www.dictionary.com as much :p

·
Wait'll they get a load a me...
3,456 Posts
would it correct or point out errors as you type, ala word, or would it correct the errors after you post? Or would it be something you have to tell the system to do each time you want your text checked?

·
Registered
93 Posts
RE

It's a nice feature, educational at that, and I would use it. It doesn't take long to check a post before it's sent and may prevent a a poster from having to edit his/her post. My two cents.

-cos

·
CF's Official Bookie and Trivia God
9,070 Posts
just because people can do woudl insted of would and have the e in the a space aprt from typing fast we get our point accross, but if we can have it, withoug losing out on anything I'd like it, I'd feel smart for once

Peace Out

·
Master Debater
3,090 Posts
1. Does it cost more to add it?
2. Does it compromise bandwidth?
If answer to 1 and 2 are yes than no we don't need it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My spelling was better before I started to use the 'net & now I note my spelling is going all to heck. True at times I pick up the dictionary & look the word up, but then at times I make the error & do not even realize it is a spelling error. Feel a spell check would certainly help even if they are not 100% perfect.

·
Dark Lord
2,071 Posts
Rezin said:
I am considering installing the aspell and ispell databases on this server to enable a real-time spell checker for posts and PM's. It is a little complex, so I want to get a reaction before I do this.

Is this a feature you guys would like?
Yes!!!, but I'm biased, because:

1) I can't spell worth a damn.
2) The company I work for owns/developed Ispell....

Mark

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
quackPOT said:
I can do without, but if you want to go to the effort, I'd probably use it a fair amount. Would save me from going to www.dictionary.com as much :p
It's comforting to see that I am not the only one who does this when unsure of spelling.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yep, I think it would be a good thing. Not that one would use it every time but there if one needed it.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
I don't think it would be good.
There are some users who are not the best spellers, but I have never had a problem reading thier posts.
I sometimes like to misspell words on purpose, and a spell checked might not allow that.
Plus unrecognized words might be problematci.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't think it's really needed, besides some people mispell words on purpose. Anyway...i'm still hoping for Thread Preview.

·
Registered
689 Posts
checkers

Sure...install it. Those who didn't pay attention in the "basics" class but who now (somehow) earn tens and tens of thousands could probably use it. Just raw jealousy, I guess.... so transparent am I.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.