Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you always obey the law when riding, never speed, pass on double yellows, always give signals, never ever stunt, etc.

How many of you always wear gear when riding on the street?

been noticing a lot more here lately that whenever somebody crashes or gets a ticket or something, then all the high and mighty hollier than though people come out of the woodwork to preach about it.

BTW: if you have never owned a motorcycle and dont own one now, this thread in no way shape or form applies to you

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I wear gear every single time I go out. Even a 5 mph spill on the asphalt would be nasty, and plus, who the heck knows what cagers are thinking when they're out there on the road. As for the not speeding, uh, yeeeeaaaah. Ok. I don't pass on double yellows though, and I always signal because of the aforementioned cagers. I also stop completely for stop signs, that's such a pointless (and expensive) ticket to get.

Oh, and I wheelie. That's about the extent of my stunting.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,280 Posts
Yamerhaw said:
How many of you always obey the law when riding, never speed, pass on double yellows, always give signals, never ever stunt, etc.

nope, don't fall into that catagory... I'm not excessive, but there is the occasional law that get fractured here and there... :D

:hi

BTW: if you have never owned a motorcycle and dont own one now, this thread in no way shape or form applies to you
How about if you plan on buying another one? :nanana

·
Registered
28,590 Posts

I obey the law as much as I would in my car... I have to speed, I live in Texas (SERIOUSLY, if you aren't doing 75 on the freeway you get squished). I always signal, though I think it confuses the average driver ~ "WHAT is that blinking light"!!!!??! Stunt :laughing I can't STUNT :laughing

Gear ;) always wear gear ;) I have picked asphalt out of my knee, won't EVER happen again...

·
Good on 2 God on 1
4,568 Posts
Re: Re: Sportbike street riders??

PrtclMn001 said:
nope, don't fall into that catagory... I'm not excessive, but there is the occasional law that get fractured here and there... :D

You don't have the SV??

·
Registered
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

PrtclMn001 said:

but you've at least owned one before

·
37,280 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Sportbike street riders??

chris_y2k_r1 said:
You don't have the SV??
oh, I still have the SV... I plan on buying a SECOND bike. :)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Sportbike street riders??

Yamerhaw said:
but you've at least owned one before
i think he's still got it, i'd say he wants to add another one too.

btw, I am an idiot when I ride. lol

·
37,280 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Sportbike street riders??

stanger92 said:
i think he's still got it, i'd say he wants to add another one too.

btw, I am an idiot when I ride. lol
:nanana :laughing

·
Grand Master Fu
1,934 Posts
Yamerhaw said:
I speed. Highways, usually 20+ the posted. Normal Streets, 5-15+ posted. Residential, less than 5 over the posted limit.

I never stunt period. (I don't classify an occasional wheelie done safely and not around other drivers as stunting).

I signal all the time, unless there are no other vehicles around, then I may get lazy and skip a signal.

I generally ride in traffic in a manner that won't provoke a "fucking crotch rocket asshole!" type thought by a car/truck driver.

I only pass on double yellows when the slower vehicle in front of me ignores the safety pullouts on my favorite mountain roads.

Absolutely, ALWAYS. Never, ever, barring circumstances beyond my control, will you catch me riding in anything less than...

A full face helmet
Leather jacket w/ armor
Gauntlet style leather gloves
Pants (99% of the time it's draggin jeans type pants)
Sidi Race Verts (occasionally Icon Heavy Duty Boots)

The only time I would forgo the gear is if I'm going up and down my residential street to test something out after working on the bike.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
I never get on the bike without helmet, jacket and gloves at a minimum. Roadrash fucking hurts. I found out the hard way when I was 17.

Stunting, hmmm. I do the occaisional wheelie now and then, but nothing I would classify as stunting. I don't want to say I outgrew that, but I kind of just lost interest a couple years back.

I speed, but within reason. I'll pony up the 150 or so for a track day when I want to get the real speed out of my system.

As far as preaching to others goes, I've given up. If you want to be an idiot on a superbike, experience is the best teacher by far.

·
37,280 Posts
Stillie said:

As far as preaching to others goes, I've given up. If you want to be an idiot on a superbike, experience is the best teacher by far.
+1 for sure. :thumb

·
Registered
802 Posts
99% with a full face helmet, and anytime i'm going out for a ride (not just a commute to school) then i throw on a jacket and some good boots. I have a lack of equipment, due to a lack of money, so I ride with the gera that i have when i feel it is appropriate.

i don't stunt, but my record of tickets will show that i speed regularly (but i've never run, thus why i have so many tickets)

·
Registered
5,597 Posts

quackPOT said:
I speed. Highways, usually 20+ the posted. Normal Streets, 5-15+ posted. Residential, less than 5 over the posted limit.

I never stunt period. (I don't classify an occasional wheelie done safely and not around other drivers as stunting).

I signal all the time, unless there are no other vehicles around, then I may get lazy and skip a signal.

I generally ride in traffic in a manner that won't provoke a "fucking crotch rocket asshole!" type thought by a car/truck driver.

I only pass on double yellows when the slower vehicle in front of me ignores the safety pullouts on my favorite mountain roads.

Absolutely, ALWAYS. Never, ever, barring circumstances beyond my control, will you catch me riding in anything less than...

A full face helmet
Leather jacket w/ armor
Gauntlet style leather gloves
Pants (99% of the time it's draggin jeans type pants)
Sidi Race Verts (occasionally Icon Heavy Duty Boots)

The only time I would forgo the gear is if I'm going up and down my residential street to test something out after working on the bike.

+1

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,767 Posts
I ride the way I drive. I will speed and pass a slow asswipe in a no passing, as long as it's safe and worthwhile. I don't wheelie or do any other bullshit. I'm too old to heal quickly.

I always wear my helmet, gloves, and just bought a leather. I need to lose a few pounds before spring, but I wear a jacket every ride. I used to wear jeans, but I'm gonna get real pants this year. I get all weirded out when I don't have the gear on when I ride.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
it is hard to break a speed limit if the country you live in doesnt have'em

so there fore i always wear my gear cause a spill at 160 mph would be really nasty

and since i ride the dinosauer i can't stunt

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Yamerhaw said:

been noticing a lot more here lately that whenever somebody crashes or gets a ticket or something, then all the high and mighty hollier than though people come out of the woodwork to preach about it.

I'll occasionally pass on a double yellow, when I deem it safe to do so (ie. good visibility). I speed somewhat. I never stunt. I always use my signals. The only time that I don't wear my gear is when I'm taking a 2 minute run to dry my chain off after washing my bike. At all other times, even going down to the corner store, I'm in gear.

These days I'll rarely get on people for lack of gear. Your life. I'll frequently jump on people for turning a moving violation into a felony though. Same when someone stunting on busy streets crashes. Some things are just blatently stupid.

There's risk management and there's risking others. They aren't the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. If someone wants to jump off a bridge with a half cut bungie, that's his business. When there's a group of kids standing under him, then that's a different story all together.

Still, I haven't done a whole lot of that here.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yamerhaw said:

never pass on double line:shake
least gear: full face, gloves....not always my jacket in town...always on the highway...
stunt? :laughing next.....
signal, always.
speed...its a 250:laughing :rant
full stop at stop signs (so I don't tip over:nanana)

·
Moderator,
17,102 Posts
I did most of my idiotic riding when I was younger. When I wore anything greater than squid gear, it was a mans one piece that was sadly too big for me, if I'd have stacked in that my ass would have been pinched right off of my body. (ooh, I'm off to wreck in mens leathers :laughing)

At one point I had nine points on my license. Had it revoked in CA. Ummm, never ran from the cops, but I broke pretty much every other law, including riding while I was baked off my ass. And after drinking.

Now, when I get my street ride, I'll gear up, and ride sober, not to mention scared. I've got a lot more to lose, and have lost that feeling of immortality.

Try not to get too annoyed. Some people come off as condescending, but behind the delivery is a message of caring. It is "be careful, I don't want you to get hurt". It's frustrating when people you care about put themselves in dangerous positions. That frustration comes out harshly sometimes.

Be careful you all, I don't want you to get hurt.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.