Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I've been thinking about the idea of selling my sportbike and getting a dirtbike. I would be able to ride the dirtbike more often. I am going back and forth on it and I don't know.

What are your thoughts/opinions?

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Michelle (mitchR6) is selling her R6 to get a XT660 :) Not a dirt bike.. motard style :)

I think it's going to be great :) Especially for meeeeeeeee

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts

·
Obey The Pug
7,899 Posts
i'm toying with the same idea myself. I already found the bike i want (suzuki dr200se). but i really don't want to get rid of my SV since i already upgraded my suspension.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LauraLynne said:
get both ;)
Oh I wish I could. There's no way I can afford it. :( It's one or the other for now.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
OK!!! this is what we need to do..

Find you a hunk of spunk who owns 2 dirt bikes :) One for you one for him and you still get to keep your road bike :)

Amen sister

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
hot4speed said:
Oh I wish I could. There's no way I can afford it. :( It's one or the other for now.
Ya really can't afford to get a little beater of a dirt bike? Doesn't have to be new and shiney. Get an old, ugly one. Test it out to see if you'd really like to ride dirt.

What if you sold your bike only to find out a few months later that you wanted it back. :(

You can always upgrade if you find you love dirt riding. But I'd start out with a beater of a dirt bike just to make sure it's something I really wanted to do!

·
Registered
850 Posts
What do you mean by "dirt bike". Are you talking dual sport or unlicensed off road?

Here is my "biased" opinion. The areas to ride an unlicensed off road bike around here are few and far between. It also means hauling the bike wherever I want to ride. Dirt riding is not a relaxing "wind in my face" experience, it's hard work, great exercise, and fun. Dirt bikes are also high maintenance and IMO whiny, high strung beasts.

Dual sporting is really what I like. I like to be able to get off the pavement and explore dirt roads and trails. I have two dual sports. One is a big heavy KLR650. The other is my nimble and lightweight KLX250 (both are Kawi). I can take the 250 out on more challenging trails and I can pick it up by myself. It weighs only 250 pounds.

You can put street tires on your dual sport and they are a fun little machine. I also own sport bikes, but I actually prefer the dual sport on the street. The grin factor is huge.

The only drawback with the smaller dual sport is, it is not a very good bike for long rides or high speeds. Don't get me wrong, long distance is doable, but the comfort level isn't exactly high. For longer days in the saddle I prefer a larger, heavy bike like my FZ1 or two up on the Capo Nord.

You can pick up a used 250 for fairly cheap. Look at the DR's, or the Kawi Sherpa. The Kawi KLX is brand new for 2006. The people that own these bikes tend to take care of them.

If I had to get rid of all my bikes and settle for just one, it would be a dual sport.

·
living on the edge of chaos
792 Posts
I just got a XT225 for those times I want to hit the dirt... one of the nice things with the XT is that it is street legal so I don't have to truck it someplace to go ride... another nice thing is that I didn't have to lower it to ride it! Stock height is the same as my SV650S but the seat is MUCH narrower; I'm on my tip toes on it and that's fine for me. If you can, you shouldn't get rid of your street bike, there's gonna be times that you are gonna want something with more power... in my case, during the warmer months I commute by bike and I think in my case the SVS is much better for that (gonna put hard bags on it this year)

·
Registered
850 Posts
I forgot about the XT!! DR 200, XT 225, KLX 250 All neat little bikes !! The cool thing about these light weight dual purpose bikes is you can actually take them off the kickstand and lean them over to get on. You don't need to "flat foot" them at all.

Oh, and the gas mileage is phenomenal !!

It's great to see another dual rider. If you ever get this way, let me know.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
who makes the XT? I want a lightweight, lower seat height dual sport. Honda doesn't make one, so I am at a loss... that is what I see everyday...

·
SPODE in training
1,745 Posts
My vote goes for MX :)

After I sold my gixxer last year I thought I was going to miss it like crazy but not as much really... My lil KTM has kept me happy even through the bruises, sore muscles, and cartwheels over the handlebars :laughing

I can't speak for dual sports or trail bikes but as far as MX bikes are concerned, only the 4strokes are time consuming. I have a friend that rides an RM85 and she loves it! The bike is a 2stroke so all she has to do is just mix the premix with the gas and oil a new air filter and go :)

Here she is...

My bike is a little more time consuming and heavier. My bike is about ~200lbs and I HAVE to do oil changes every 5hrs or riding. I also have to do valve checks every ~10hrs, not to mention I can't touch the ground to save my life.

Christina - I would suggest to go to the local tracks and just watch the riders. Get a feel for that type of riding.

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
canibeyou said:
Ya really can't afford to get a little beater of a dirt bike? Doesn't have to be new and shiney. Get an old, ugly one. Test it out to see if you'd really like to ride dirt.

What if you sold your bike only to find out a few months later that you wanted it back. :(

You can always upgrade if you find you love dirt riding. But I'd start out with a beater of a dirt bike just to make sure it's something I really wanted to do!
+1

I'd really hate to see you give up your sportbike, and regret it later..... :(

·
Registered
850 Posts
The XT is a Yami, DR is a Suzi, and the KLX is a Kawi. You'll find these small bikes are reasonably good height, that is not too tall. And like I said, because they are all so light weight it doesn't feel "top heavy". I've got a KTM exc as well and that thing is really tall, like 36 inches. But I have no problem with that - even with my short legs. Also, dirt and dual bikes really compress when you sit on them.

If I had the AZ desert to play in, ya I can see riding MX. But most of us are not that fortunate. Lucky you !!

I'd give up my sportbike in a heartbeat for the dual.

·
living on the edge of chaos
792 Posts
diamond said:
who makes the XT? I want a lightweight, lower seat height dual sport. Honda doesn't make one, so I am at a loss... that is what I see everyday...
Yamaha. Seems like they're the only one making a shorter dual sport, every other one I looked at was at least an inch and a half taller.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I just recently started dirbike riding and sold my streetbikes to do so. I am more comfortable with the lighter style of my Yamaha TTR125. Only downside? It is not and, without some finesse, will never be, street legal. I am looking to practice in the dirt a bit more before moving up to a 225/250/300 (something like this:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/131915668.html) .. I'm actually going to see this one on Saturday and hope to buy it and sell the TTR. This one is street legal so I can still ride it wherever I want to AND in the dirt.

I think it's a great move on your part, just make sure the bike you get is street legal so when you DO want to go riding for "riding" you can :)

Good Luck! It is a BLAST!

·
Registered
411 Posts
dirt

Yep, one of each is the answer. You can pick up a good used bike cheap too. After about one year they all require the same maintenance schedule anyway so you're not loosing anything with an older bike, with the exception of technology.

Full on dirt is way better in rough trails or track atmosphere. I guess a dual sport would be ok if you stay on single track type of roads.

·
Registered
824 Posts
canibeyou said:

I completely agree! You can find old ones for just a few hundred and also gets you practice tinkering with them too. Check out craigslist, tons of them for "dirt" cheap prices (sorry couldnt resist!)

Oh don't forget this! Us tree huggin peeps up here have put the kabosh on ALOT of ORV parks so it can be a challenge to find spots to ride sometimes too! MX is great but dont limit yourself - EXPAND!!

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've rode dirtbikes when I was younger and loved it. I would get completely dirt. There are several tracks around here and my parents live on 20 acres so I would have plenty of places to ride. I know the hauling can be a pain but I would definitely sell my car and get myself a truck. I've road Honda and Yamah and would probably get a Yamaha TTR125.

Carolyn, my ex boyfriend Jason bought a KTM and he loved it. It was street legal but at same time, he could take it off-road. He loved it! :) I've actually been talking to him about the decision because he grew up riding dirt and competing and he sold his dirtbike last winter and purchased several streetbikes and now he races.

Decisions, decisions, decisions! *sigh*

1 - 20 of 26 Posts