Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which brand would u reccommend? which would you stay away from?

Is it for every one up in front is like 3 down in the back?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i stay away from aluminum sprockets, so if you stay with steel it really dont matter who makes them. i know some ppl will argue but the tiny weight savings with aluminum just dont make enought difference to me to trash a chain early, especially if your a little hard on the bike like i am.
yes one tooth in the front is like 3 in tha back, but i dont think you want to go up in the front or down in the back unless you want to lose acceleration and gain top speed. most people go down in the front or up in the back or both like i have. the stock 108 link chain on my bike will allow you to go up 2 in the back without getting a longer chain. or 1 down in the front and 3 up in the back with the stock chain. 15/47 being the stocks sprocket sizes. good luck
:redflip

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i got that ass backwards... So you have a 14/50? with a stock chain? Whats a 520 chain?

·
Graphic support
1,525 Posts
520 conversion = Weight Reduction._ Less Unsprung Mass._ Sometimes up to 4lbs depending on the Motorcycle.__Your bike will accelerate faster, brake quicker, and handle better._

I prefer Vortex sprockets._Typically unless you're going 3+ in the rear, you can still use your stock chain. But if you do get a new chain, your New Chain will be plenty long for most all gearing selectons.__

A Sprocket Choice with a Larger rear or smaller front to will greatly increase your bike acceleration.

or Choose a Smaller rear Sprocket and Increase the Top End. Whatever fits your needs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
im running 14/49 and could go to 50 with the stock chain. as tony said a 520 chain is lighter because its smaller but enough for 600 size bikes. the 5 in the 520 is the pitch between rollers roughly 5/8 " the 20 is the width between the side plates. dont go smaller then 14 on the countershaft though or your chain will saw through the swingarm :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts