Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a no BS answer about steering dampers. Do they make a big difference handling. I was looking at a few for my ZX9R. I mainly ride ride on the street with a few Trackdays a year.

·
There's a gun in my truck
4,816 Posts
I wouldnt ride a liter bike w/o one, especially on the track. You cant go wrong having one, but u may not need one, all depends on how hard u push and if u feel your bike tends to headshake under hard acceleration. :shrug

·
Registered
24 Posts
I never raced my ZX9, but I am a racer and I had it to the track a few times. That bike doesn't need a steering damper unless you are using the thing at 10/10ths level. It's perfecly stable without one and I never once experienced any headshake with it. My opinion? Save your money if it's just a street/track day bike.
My ZX10 on the other hand was another story....impossible to ride safely until I put one on it. It would headshake at every opportunity. so I forked out WAY too much money and put an Ohlins on it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input....I'll save the damper for the 10R when I upgrade in 2yrs:clap

Wish I had a time machine...he he

·
Registered
110 Posts
get the suspension sorted. damper isn't needed.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
Ian said:
a 9 is far from needing it. Unless you are big into stunting.
+1 I wouldn't get one for a 9 unless you are landing 100+mph wheelies.
The 9r is much more stable than the newer bikes with more radical steering geometry.

·
Fuelled by Rice
461 Posts
getting your suspension dialed in will make a big difference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts