Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this belongs in the gadgest and gizmos but theres NO ONE in there right now.. once I getmy answer, i'll delete it..

i'm trying to uninstall XP and reload it as a new operating system.

When i put the disc in and reboot, it takes me through all the b.s. and it installs XP.. but when it boots up, its the same stupid old XP i've always had.. the one thats full of problems..

what am I doing wrong? I've done this twice now and its not changed anything.

is there a way to clean the hard drive completely and run this cdrom and install it on a fresh, clean hard drive with none of the stupid shit thats on here now?

cale

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on! someone here knows how to do this!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
karl_1052 said:
FORMAT C:<ENTER>

that'll do it.
will i still be able to boot up from a cdrom if i do that?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
reboot in DOS and run an F-disk (format disk) command. That should wipe out your entire drive and allow for a clean install.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Riceaholic said:
reboot in DOS and run an F-disk (format disk) command. That should wipe out your entire drive and allow for a clean install.
how do i reboot into dos and run a format disk command?

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
Riceaholic said:
there is no DOS in XP

Boot from the XP CD, pressing F8 repeatedly when you see the computer BIOS info screen. that will bring you to a menu where you should ahve an option for boot from command prompt(or similar)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
karl_1052 said:
there is no DOS in XP

Boot from the XP CD, pressing F8 repeatedly when you see the computer BIOS info screen. that will bring you to a menu where you should ahve an option for boot from command prompt(or similar)
Sorry...I overlooked that OS in the post...disregard anything I've said and listen to karl who has his head waay more together than I do right now...:laughing

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i get to c: and i type in FORMAT C:, i get the message about "by doing this, you will erase everything on the non-removable disk" or some B.S. .. so i type "Y" and it says "unable to format c, volume in use, would you like to override? Y/N.. so i type Y.. comes back "unable to override"..

a
a
rrgggghh!

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
hmm... he disappeared... wonder if it worked... :eek

·
Thanks for having us all these years, Rez. Best o
20,204 Posts
Cale:

1. Go to this web site: http://www.bootdisk.com
2. Click on DOS - Windows 9X/Me/NT/2K/XP Excellent Bootdisks
3. Click on Windows 98 OEM
4. Either Open the file in your browser or save it to your C:\ drive
5. When you run the program you will need to put a floppy disk in your floppy drive
6. Once it's complete, leave the floppy in the computer and reboot
7. When it comes up type in " format c: /q /u " without the quotes, of course
8. Once it's finished, remove the floppy disk and make sure your XP CD is in the drive then reboot

Lee

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LeeNetworX said:
Cale:

5. When you run the program you will need to put a floppy disk in your floppy drive
8. Once it's finished, remove the floppy disk and make sure your XP CD is in the drive then reboot

Lee
What a pain in the ass, but it worked! Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LeeNetworX said:
Cale:

Lee
Hey Lee, I'm tryin this again and I cant seem to get it to work.. I got the boot disk made and when i go to type in the format c: stuff, i get a ton of errors regardless of how i type it in..

it comes up at the a: prompt, is that where i need to type it in? are there any spaces between the / and the "Q"?

any help is appreciated..

cale

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Cale...

It should look like this:

a:\>format c: /u /q

There are spaces between "format" and "c:", between "c:" and "/u", between "/u" and "/q".

·
20,204 Posts
What H20 said... +1

If you type that and you are still having problems, try typing just "format c:" with no switches. If that still gives you problems tell us exactly what it's doing/saying when you try this. Thanks.

BTW - how often do you plan on reinstalling XP???? :nanana

J.K. :redflip

·
20,204 Posts
Actually, on the subject of reinstalling XP....why ARE you doing it again? You having virus problems? If so, you should type "format c: /mbr" as well, before reinstalling XP. That will wipe out your master boot record and eliminate any boot sector virus you may have.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Cale...you may want to look hard at doing a clean install, getting all of the apps, etc. that you want in place, and then imaging the hard disk and making a "recovery" CD. That way you won't have to go through all of this BS again if things get toasty somewhere down the line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts