Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding since I was 9, which was in 1967. Ok so you can start with the old man jokes but I still look like I'm 30! Anyway, On a whim I bought a MZ125SM because I found it at a dealer on the lot, brand new, mismarked price wise. It was supposed to sell for around $4100.00 US, and was marked at $1650.00 because the lot boy wasn't paying attention or was stoned. I bought it even though I didn't need another bike, I have 4 others. I rode it once and knew I loved SUperMoto!

I have a 2000 GSXR600, a 1973 Yamaha 650 twin street tracker, an RM250 and a DR125 for hunting and fishing. The little Sumo made me look and feel like a hero on the backroads where I could spank sportbikes thru sheer warp drive corner speed. I had a DR 350 years ago which I put a ton of money into and it was as fun alomst but that as before SuMo and it had knobbies, so it was a little BIT OF A HANDFUL to go fast on on the street.

I am now going to get another SUMO, in fact I want ot trade my GSXR streight across for one. I am looking into another XR600,650 because they are stone reliable, or a KTM625SMC.

Now to the point, I am so into SuMo now that I will not ride anything else on the street. They are so perfect unless you want to go touring by yourself, or with others who aren't on SuMo's. They handle like a 250GP bike, the are faster than a sportbike up to about 80 or 90 and cost nothing to maintain and can go off road even without changing to different tyres and wheels.

I am looking forward to another SuMo.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good for you and welcome back to the SuMo fold!

I think Detroit Eurocycles (586)778-8900 has a MZ Baghira used black for sale. It was a factory Demo so it still has warranty I believe.

·
BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappP
2,256 Posts
SniperX said:

I am now going to get another SUMO, in fact I want ot trade my GSXR streight across for one. I am looking into another XR600,650 because they are stone reliable, or a KTM625SMC.
I was looking for a 625SMC, however I'm now leaning towards a XR650R. It seems like less maintence and great reliability.........

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Re: SuperMoto vs sportbikes

Gino said:
I was looking for a 625SMC, however I'm now leaning towards a XR650R. It seems like less maintence and great reliability.........
I've had no problems with my 640sm and maintance is no worse than any of my streetbikes and it can't be any worse than an xr. All together I think the lc4 is a good package with a better suspension and fit and finish.

·
BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappP
2,256 Posts
I guess my problem is the lack of 625 SMC's in this area......I like to find a used one, rather than spend over $8,000 for a new one. I'm still considering the KTM.......

·
BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappP
2,256 Posts
More I look into it, the XR has some close maintence intervals.........I might start my quest for an LC4 again......first I need to sell this stupid sportbike........

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Gino said:
I guess my problem is the lack of 625 SMC's in this area......I like to find a used one, rather than spend over $8,000 for a new one. I'm still considering the KTM.......
There were only 125 05 625 SMC's brought into the country. Both my dad and one of my friends bought theirs off eBay and paid under $7500. Actually one paid $6200 for one with 400 miles on it. Keep a watch on that, I"ve seen quite a few on there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
SniperX said:
I have been riding since I was 9, which was in 1967. Ok so you can start with the old man jokes but I still look like I'm 30! Anyway, On a whim I bought a MZ125SM because I found it at a dealer on the lot, brand new, mismarked price wise. It was supposed to sell for around $4100.00 US, and was marked at $1650.00 because the lot boy wasn't paying attention or was stoned. I bought it even though I didn't need another bike, I have 4 others. I rode it once and knew I loved SUperMoto!

I have a 2000 GSXR600, a 1973 Yamaha 650 twin street tracker, an RM250 and a DR125 for hunting and fishing. The little Sumo made me look and feel like a hero on the backroads where I could spank sportbikes thru sheer warp drive corner speed. I had a DR 350 years ago which I put a ton of money into and it was as fun alomst but that as before SuMo and it had knobbies, so it was a little BIT OF A HANDFUL to go fast on on the street.

Now to the point, I am so into SuMo now that I will not ride anything else on the street. They are so perfect unless you want to go touring by yourself, or with others who aren't on SuMo's. They handle like a 250GP bike, the are faster than a sportbike up to about 80 or 90 and cost nothing to maintain and can go off road even without changing to different tyres and wheels.

I am looking forward to another SuMo.....
If you haven't found this site yet......http://www.supermotojunkie.com/index.php?

Don't let the recommended 600mi service intervals or the kick start keep you away from the XR. I have an estimated 20K miles on mine ,have not been changing the oil every 600 (more like every 2K) and so far it's trouble free.

You want one like this (not mine):

Attachments

·
Curves Monkey
314 Posts
yea ebay is definately a place to check out. Thats where my smc came from (katoom mentioned). Also, check of supermotojunkie.com they usually have alot of bikes on there for sale.

·
BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappP
2,256 Posts
I think I'm just gonna sell my gixxer and wait for a SMC to come along. I've got my EXC tard to tide me over until then.......:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
XR 600mi service

Yeah, the service interval of 600mi on a XR600R is crap. If you put a aftermarket oil cooler on one you can easily go 3000 between oil changes. My freind hade on e for 10 years, put about 20K street miles on it, and probably half tha much on desert race venues and nEVER had one problem with the whole bike. XR600s have the best reliability record on the planet and of all bikes I have heard of I have never heard of an XR in any size breaking when standard maintainence has been done. I have heard the LC4 is very good in the reliability department too. I would love to have a 625SMC, but I couldnt find anyone who wants to trade on for the GSXR I am trading for the XR....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gino said:
I think I'm just gonna sell my gixxer and wait for a SMC to come along. I've got my EXC tard to tide me over until then.......:D
They pop up from time to time for fair money, depending on exactly what you are looking for. I got a '00 640sm last year for a very fair deal. The newer stuff pop's up but has held it's value a little better as the prices have been on the rise. I know a guy who bought an '05 who might want to get rid of it this spring, but he thinks he will get what he paid for it:crackup $7k+!

·
BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappP
2,256 Posts
Alright, made my mind up and I think I'm gonna sit tight for an SMC to come along.......Gixxer should be gone in a couple days..............KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN FOR ME GUYS......:D

·
BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappP
2,256 Posts
Have no fear................I'm now sippin on a case of Milwaukee's Best Light.................:redflip

1 - 20 of 29 Posts