Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to make a purchase decision between either purchasing a Honda 919 now or putting a deposit down on an SV1000N. I've been burned bad with a lemon Kawasaki before and let's just say build quality and custome service are important to me.

Do you think Suzuki builds a quality product?

Has Suzuki treated you well for warranty service and issues?

Any general comments about build quality, maintenance isssues, customer satisfaction?

I'm leaning heavy towards the SV. Even though I can get a 919 for $1k off list, the SV is lighter and has better suspension and I bet will have a much superior torque curve.

Feedback appreciated.
David

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Your Suzuki service / warranty experience will be highly colored by your local Suzuki shop. I've had to escalate my issues to Suzuki America before, but they (Suzuki America) always got them resolved for me.

I had one warranty claim on my Suzuki where I <A HREF="http://www.tall-tales-racing.com/bikes/users/AMRTL1ks/20011222_BrokenSoloSeat/twobits3.jpg">broke the solo tail</A>. They replaced it once under warranty, but wouldn't the second time. :shrug It WAS abuse that broke it the second time so I'm not complaining.

I've found all my Zooks to be very reliable if treated properly (maintenance, etc.)

·
Just say NO to PC!
743 Posts
I have to second Adams comment on the dealers effect on your warranty experience with Suzuki. My personal history with them has been excellent. They did all reacalls in a timely manner, and even replaced the fuel pump/tank a little over 2 years out of warranty :thumb I have had no "built quality" problems with my bike, but I think proper maintenance will prevent most of that anyway. You may need to go up the ladder occasionally to get things done (or so I've heard) but I think most are made happy eventually. Ask around about the dealer and see if they are treating service issues well (they should be able to give you reference customers for this)

SV should be an EXCELLENT choice of bike too

Hope that helps

*is it me or does anyone else think M/C shops should have to meet certain customer satisfaction ratings in order to keep the manufacturers happy?

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Thats not comforting since I may have to take my TL to a dealer for my current problem. I was going to bring it in over the winter too since it blows a lot of smoke if it sits for a while. Does it matter if you go to the dealer you bought it from? That would be a bit tough for now, there is another dealer nearby that is supposed to be prety good( NOT mineola) so I am goin gto give them a shot.

As for reliability, I was very happy with my RF, and my TL so I cant complain, and even this current problem is stumping my local mechanic I hope the dealer can figure it out.

Tom

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
TL motor issues

this is the only issue I have had ,but theres a few others out there that have the very same identical problem with their TL motor spewing oil up and out of the airbox. The fix is easy, they only have to disassemble the engine and replace the "reed valve".

However since that is very expensive and suzuki doesnt like to pay all that in warranty work for something that has yet to be recalled. They will screw with you until your warranty has ran out. Take it to coperate suzuki, you get the run around still. If you stay in their face with the issue, and I mean as soon as it comes out of the shop TEST RIDE at least 100 miles. If there is even a minor issue you take it back and give them the keys and say...nope it still isnt right.

This was the process from October to January past. 9 times the bike was in the shop. 8 times they blamed me for lack of maintnace or riding wheelies, wrecking the bike, over filling the oil levels. This is the crap I hear from my dealer. BTW on #9 fix, suzuki didnt want to pay the mechanic his warranty work.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Great:mad So this is what I have to look forward to. Oh well. I guess I should practice yelling at people.

:bluecreep

Tom

·
Moderator,
9,884 Posts
X Racer said:
well, suzuki's have always done me well, and I have no brand loyalty at all.... I will agree that their fit and finish is not as nice as a honda, but if maintained properly they work just fine. And nobody can argue the performance of the zook....
I totally agree with X Racer. 7700 problem free miles, and I don't baby the bike, but I do perform the regular maintance.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Need_4_Speed said:
7700 problem free miles,
Does this include the ticket every 1200 miles:redflip

Tom

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
hey notice ...ITS THE ONLY PROBLEM ive ever had!

15000 miles this past year, and since that one problem is fixed.........problem free other than keeping a set of shoes on it

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Same here I just figured it would be problems with suzuki and the service people. I know a few TL owners have over 30K on theirs with little or no problems. All I did otherwise was change th ebrakes and the tires. The bike is solid otherwise.

Oh I did have to replace the damper and spring, but a bunch of stoppies with my fat ass on it was the cause for that:p

Tom

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Suzuki's seem to be dependable from what I hear. Sometimes you may have problems with the customer service dept. at Suzuki of America. I know I did.:cigar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts