Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to put lower fairings on my sv650s. I've seen a couple of different kinds. The one I think I like the most is the OEM kit. I found this picture of a yellow 650s with what I think is an OEM kit on it, but it also seems to be lower in front. Is it actually lower or does the kit itself just make the bike look lower? Here is another pic of a bike with a different fairing kit where it doesn't look nearly as low. If I want my bike to turn out like this yellow one what what will I have to do it besides ordering the OEM kit?

Attachments

·
Now in extra strength formula
243 Posts
The yellow one has a different front end, and the forks look raised in the triples a bit = lowered.

But also the yellow fairing follows the black line of the scoops on the upper, so it also reduces the gap between the tire and lower fairing, which makes it look lower still than the blue one.

I like the yellow one :clap .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob H. said:
The yellow one has a different front end, and the forks look raised in the triples a bit = lowered.
Ok that makes the bike look alot better. A couple of questions;
A) Does that affect the performance of the bike in any way?
and B) If not, then how, as a new rider who doesn't know much in the way of bike mechanics, can I go about doing this?

·
Now in extra strength formula
243 Posts
Just using the factory fairing will look better, IMO because it's a little closer to the front wheel.

Lowering the front has a dramatic effect on handling, and if your bike turns and rides well to you, you should probably not change it. It will make it quicker to turn in, but it will be less stable at speed. Most people would raise the forks 2-10 mm to compensate for a taller race tire when going to a track (example, using a 120/70 instead of a 120/60 front tire on an F3).

To do it you just raise the front of the bike (rafter straps/ jackstands/ headstock stand), loosen the pinch bolts in the triple clamps, raise tubes -- measure to insure they're the same, and tighten. A lot of bikes have a circlip on the fork tube under the clipons, they have to be removed first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts