Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys go on group rides do you ever swap bikes with anyone? I love to swap with people, but sometimes when I ask they look at me like I have three heads! I mean, it's an unwritten rule that you take it easy on somebody else's bike... so as long as you know the person you're swapping with isn't a total squid then it's no big deal right? I just think it's great fun trying out another bike and comparing it to mine....

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
did somebody say chinese fire drill? That would be a freakin hillarious sight.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've swapped with one of my bud's '02 GSXR 750 a couple times. Your right if you know the rider and their abilities, your not gonna have a problem as long as you both take it easy, no racing each other or wheelies 'n stuff. That said, there's no-one else around I would trust (or want) to swap bikes with. people may look at you like you've got three heads cause they've never experianced the practice.
Good of you to put it out there though:thumb, people should experiance as many different bikes as possible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It can be a Chinese fire drill! But as long as the person isn't a total knob it's no big deal! Swapped with a guy that rode a 998 last summer -- that was fun!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
this one i guy i ride with has a zx7r and i have a old kz550 and everytime we go riding he wants to swap bikes for some reason he likes my bike.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I usually don't swap bikes with anyone unless I've been riding with them for a while. Yeah if they are guys that I know are good riders and will respect my bike: I don't mind. Example: I will swap with my riding buddy with a XX anytime...:cool When my stunting puck kid of a cousin asks me to ride my dope 54...:blank :shake

·
Registered
402 Posts
Very mixed feelings on this do to a bad experience. I would normally say Ok as long as there is a witness in the "you brake it you fix it & cover any insurance increase costs that might occur" before the swap.

I had the opportunity to try many different bikes this year, mostly other bikers were asking to try the Triumph, so they asked me. It was sweet to see how my bike looked and sounded on the road and to try others in a real world test.

One lad I "used to" ride with, has a Busa & was letting several try his bike so I asked him for a swap. This guy normally putts around in 6th gear all day pissing everyone off by riding too slow. Anyway, he jumps on my bike & smokes away. Riding at very high speeds & taking risks. There is a nasty set of railway tracks that we would normally go very slow over, not buddy on my bike. He hit them fast & hard. I'm not used to his bike so I take it relatively easy but can keep him in my sights. He finally pulls over & the first thing he says is "Wow this thing flies, I kept smashing it off the vev limiter" and starts laughing. I wanted to punch his face off, kick his groin, gouge his eyes out, I was so pissed off. I thought for sure this would be a good guy to let ride my bike, boy I was WRONG. I don't even ride with him anymore and wouldn't let anyone ride my bike again.

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
I let just about anyone ride my bike . When I was at TWO in GA a few weeks ago , I prolly let 15 people I'd never met before ride my Skorpion because they'd never ridden a street single ( most had never even seen one ! ) . Most of the guys I ride with tend to be of the *veteran rider * catagory , so their easy pace is fookin fast compared to most but I tell everyone to ride it like its meant to be ridden . WTF is the point of riding something designed soley to rain around corners if you're going to pussy foot it ? When you go test drive Camaros for fun you don't short shift em do you ?
Just to be a name dropper - if you read Motorcyclist you've prolly read articles by Darwin Holmstrom ( he did the Idiots Guide to Motorcyles book as well ) . I've known one of the other guys that freelances stuff for MCist for a couple years who was also at the rally , but had never met Darwin before . Anyway I hadn't bothered to check the fuel after so many people had ridden it and he ran it out of gas - as if there's anywhere to refuel out in the middle of nowhere , doh !

Oh , made me laugh : one of the guys here let me take his new sebenfitty for a spin *around the block* When I got back , he couldn't believe I'd worn the chicken strips off and one of the guys riding with him asked if I'd do the same for his 600 ! :laughing

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I always do. I love to it's the only way to experience them all. I certainly don't make enough to buy each one that I want. So this way I get to experience all the manufacturers, their quirks, etc...

Usually as long as I'm on someone's bike I don't care if they are on mine. I've logged some good mileage and rode alot of bikes I probably will never get the chance to own this way. :)

Hell I only knew Clay for a few hours and let him take the R1. :twofinger :D

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I used to swap my ZX-9R with my buddies CBR900RR. It was pretty cool. He wants to get an RC51, so we will probably swap again. But I've been riding with this guy for a while and know his riding style and habits.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If I know the person and know that they can ride I don't have a problem with it. They don't have to be the best rider in the world but as long as I know they can handle a bike no big deal. I have ridden a few peoples bike and it is a great way to enjoy something else and most times make you like your bike even better.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have swapped with a good friend of mine I have know since childhood.

He gets to ride my ZX-7 and I get to the his 2001 V-Max, which is a 1200cc.

Talk about trying to rip you arms off, that V-Max is an amazing rush.

I have also swapped the MV with my friend who is a great rider with lots of insurance and has an Aprilia Mille; that is one great motorcycle as well.

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
To me that is the fun thing about group rides! Of course you gotta show me that you can ride before you get on my bike. Also don't ask to swap if you are riding a POS. How else would we be able to experience so many bikes?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It depends on the person for me..... I'll watch them ride a little bit then if they ask to ride my bike, I usually let them unless they are a total newbie or something.

I dont mind people riding my bikes as long as they understand the you break it/buy it policy and there is no stunting allowed. When I ride others bikes, Im more careful with them than I am my own bike just because I'd expect the same from the other person.....

·
Forum Leader,
18,929 Posts
A good friend of mine and I always are swapping bikes whether its at the light or I let him take my bike for several days. Its funny watching people look at us like WTF at the light when we both jump off and run around to the next bike.

·
Grand Master Fu
1,934 Posts
IMO, HELL NO. Bad Idea.

Unless you KNOW you can collect repair $ or replacement money, IMO, you are asking for it. Roomates, Co-workers, GF's, etc are all BAD news in regards to bike swaps. I had a roomate loop my FZR and total it. Rat bastard still owes me $$$

:doublefli you Jason Swope!

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
Brian F4i said:
It depends on the person for me..... I'll watch them ride a little bit then if they ask to ride my bike, I usually let them unless they are a total newbie or something.

I dont mind people riding my bikes as long as they understand the you break it/buy it policy and there is no stunting allowed. When I ride others bikes, Im more careful with them than I am my own bike just because I'd expect the same from the other person.....

But he DOES get a little nervous when you are on his bike!! :D

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
I let certain people ride either of my bikes, but not strangers. I will admit that I am WAY more selective when it comes to the 'priller ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts