Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
M.F.I.C.
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Downtown Harley Davidson.
Had a blast!

I have been thinking about getting a Buell XB-12R for sport and track times. I sold my Kawi ZX-12R last year cause it was just tooo much for Pacific Raceways.

Anyways, the Buell redlines at 7,000 RPM! I over-reved it a couple times accidentally until I figured out why the rev limiter kept cutting in...
It does pull great from 4k to 6k, gotta give it that. The tranny was a piece of shit! I got tired of it clunking and grinding, so a few times, I consciously tried to do extra smooth shifts, and still couldn't get it to go up OR down smoothly.
Brakes were good, but at street speeds you can't really tell.
The handling was good, probably better than the big Kawi.

I got back and bitched about the tranny and the rev limiter, and the sales lady recommeded that I try a VROD. I figured, what the hell, I'm dressed and already filled out the test drive waiver form.

I really liked that damn Vrod! It has the forward foot controls, so it felt a lot like my Big Dog, but a lot smoother. Of course, my Big Dog has an S&S 107 cubic inch mo-fo, so anything feels smoother...

The tranny on the Vrod was sweet, and the handling was great for a cruiser. The used one I rode was going for $15,000 which would buy a brand new Ducati or damn sure any of the Big Four liter bikes...
Not worth the money obviously, but I have to admit it was very nicey put together for a "Harley." Of course, part of that is because the engine was designed by Porsche and I don't even know where the rest was designed or built.

Good times. Good times.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Why look a Buell of all bikes for track duty? Why not get a used GSXR, best bang for the buck.

·
M.F.I.C.
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there's no doubt that a used Suzuki would be a better "bargain," but I want something unusual and distinctive.

Besides, the Buell's are getting a lot of recognition for their advanced designs, and I was curious. It did handle great, and I like the sound of a big twin, but I'll probably stick with something Japanese.

My favorite Suzi is the 2003 "Alstare" edition 600. I'm sure the gang here will claim it's ghey or whatever, but I think it's got an awesome paint job. RMC had a TON of them as carry-overs last summer, now I can't find a single one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
workbill said:
Yeah, there's no doubt that a used Suzuki would be a better "bargain," but I want something unusual and distinctive.

Besides, the Buell's are getting a lot of recognition for their advanced designs, and I was curious. It did handle great, and I like the sound of a big twin, but I'll probably stick with something Japanese.

My favorite Suzi is the 2003 "Alstare" edition 600. I'm sure the gang here will claim it's ghey or whatever, but I think it's got an awesome paint job. RMC had a TON of them as carry-overs last summer, now I can't find a single one.
That's a sweet ass bike. I think purple looks good on a bike.

·
Terminally Adolescent
2,506 Posts
jim_d2p said:
That's a sweet ass bike. I think purple looks good on a bike.
so does black and blonde. back on topic though. has anyone here seen the green black and white color scheme for the gixxers? it's tight.

·
Moderator,
8,310 Posts
Hey Bill, if you need more info on Buell's, PM 01Lightning. He has a Buell and I like it.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
workbill said:
Then get a gixxer and paint it pink with purple polka dots. :eek :laughing

Do you want something distinctive, or something that will actually go a few laps without blowing up? :redflip

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Buy any GSXR and then get the alstare plastics cheap off eBay.

The new Buell are cool to look at but I wouldn't own one. I know for a fact the previous models broke down a lot. Heck, they have a belt drive!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.