Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That bike is SWEET! I went to AMS to BS with Jeff and he got me onto one of their ST4S demos (with ABS). He said "try the ST4 and you won't want to ride the Triumph anymore". I'm amazed at how smooth the v-twin is. Also, the brakes are awesome but what else can you say about Brembos. I still lovve the S3 but now I wish I hadn't ridden the ST4. :( A sport tourer was the next type of bike I was going to buy but it was going to be a few years before the purchase. Now I can see myself selling everything of value (minus the S3 ;) ) to get one.

·
"You're not worthy."
2,545 Posts
Have you ridden a new (02+) Sprint ST and/or a new VFR? I'd like to hear a comparison.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The ST4s is an awesome bike. My best friend picked one up this summer the day before I got the Tuono. I know that it is apples to oranges, but the Tuono is much more comfortable and the Aprilia motor feels a lot stronger according to the old butt dyno. The Aprilia engine is also smoother than the Ducati. On the positive side, the brakes are excellent. He has the ABS version and the the bike is confidence inspiring. It also handles like a dream at the limits. Having the Ohlins makes a huge difference in the qualityof the ride. It is a hoot to ride at sportbike speeds ( and feel more confident) on a sport tourer.
I have been on the Duc on several occassions and told my friend that the bike would be perfect for me if it had bar risers that were about 1 1/2" higher and 1" further back. You also need to maintain the batery on it. My friends bike has sat for the last 4 weeks, and now it won't start. He let the battery get flat and then recharged it on the tender and now it turns over fine but won't fire. The local Ducati dealer drove to his house and picked it up.

Good luck on your decision. There truly isn't a bad bike to be bought out there, just that these Italian bikes tend to need a little more care.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ST4 feels really stretched out and I would definitley need to raise the bars. Going from the ST4 to my S3 felt like going from my S3 to a Buell.

·
Ess Rider
193 Posts
I have an ST4s sharing garage with some other fine rides. This Duc is the finest all round bike I've ever been on. Superbike engine, great handling. Ohlins. Detachable bags. Have read reviews noting it is Ducati's finest street bike. I would agree.

Don't get me started on the exhaust note ;).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
sfarson said:
I have an ST4s sharing garage with some other fine rides. This Duc is the finest all round bike I've ever been on. Superbike engine, great handling. Ohlins. Detachable bags. Have read reviews noting it is Ducati's finest street bike. I would agree.

Don't get me started on the exhaust note ;).

sfarson, Do you need me to come up there and help you ride some of these bikes? :D

·
Ess Rider
193 Posts
Sleil said:
sfarson, Do you need me to come up there and help you ride some of these bikes? :D
Well, if you want or like dual-sports, yes, I can use some help ;).

Maybe this reminds you of the Birmingham area?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Nice pictures. Is that your GS too? Nicenicenice.

I went to visit Colorado this summer to visit my brother. Driving back home to Alabama made me REALLY sad, as Colorado was one of the most beautiful places I've seen, nature and weather wise.

Lucky man, you are.

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
Sleil, you're still young, you have plenty of time to get out to CO. Hell, move out there! My family and I spent a week in Boulder a few years ago and I rented a Sprint RS from a guy in Golden. I rode through the Rockies for a full day. LOVED riding through the rockies up to Estes Park. You GOTTA do it!

The place that rented the Triumph, MotoRanch, used to have a website at http://www.motoranch.com but he doesn't seem to be there now. Does anyone in Colorado know if this outfit is still operational? The guy was located in Golden.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I want to get an st one of these days, not for a while though. Going several hundred miles on the 749 can be painfull to the back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts