Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randomly threads pop up here with people asking about good ways to cure depression without drugs.

I've tried a lot of things, even different combos of ideas.

What I find to be a dead on cure all when ever I'm feeling down...

...a work out. It doesn't have to be a good one, I'll run really hard for a few mins, or do a lot of sit ups or push ups. Just until I get a really good burn going.

I guess it releases something in my body because I feel a lot better afterwards.

Just thought I'd share

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Booze. Lots of it.

Just kidding.

Distraction is good to keep your mind focused on other activities, but it's not a cure.

I tend to talk my friend's ears off more often than not. It doesn't fix anything, but I'll usually get a fresh perspective. Other times they'll smack me on the head when I need a good...well...smack to the head.

·
Crotch-Rocket Curmudgeon
4,752 Posts
EvanInMD said:
I guess it releases something in my body because I feel a lot better afterwards.
Endorphins. Chemically very simliar to opiates......so yeah, you feel better. Laughing and sex also release endorphins.

Presumably, fucking a funny looking chick while you hang from the rafters should make you feel positively amazing.

:D

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Re: Re: The cure for depression

Endorphins. Chemically very simliar to opiates......
Not similar, exactly the same ;)
Running releases indigenous opiates (with the same ultimate end result, dopamine release into the pleasure center) that have an even higher agonist affinity for the mu and kappa receptors than external sources of pure morphine. Runner's high is just that, a flood of indigenous opiates. Your body makes the best smack on the PLANET. You just gotta know how to get it out........

And i completely agree, I went from one of the worst depressions of my life to one of the most euphoric and confident phases, JUST by running a mile and ultimtaely 2 miles every day for a mere 2 months. it WORKS.......

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The cure for depression

sonick said:
Running releases indigenous opiates (with the same ultimate end result, dopamine release into the pleasure center) that have an even higher agonist affinity for the mu and kappa receptors than external sources of pure morphine. Runner's high is just that, a flood of indigenous opiates. Your body makes the best smack on the PLANET. You just gotta know how to get it out........
And I learned that from "I Come In Peace" :redflip

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

sonick said:
And i completely agree, I went from one of the worst depressions of my life to one of the most euphoric and confident phases, JUST by running a mile and ultimtaely 2 miles every day for a mere 2 months. it WORKS.......
+1 I gots bad knees now tho, from running up/down hills for x-c in high school, now my only resort is to be a pain in the ass online....Offline, I'm a shrimpy person so I'm everyone's bitch...Here, I can be like.....yo sukka!!! Bring it!!!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
re

lots of self praze helps me. seems being big headed but it helps
lots. im now getting back to my old self

SO BLOODY WATCH OUT ;)

:crackup :crackup :crackup

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bijou, try swimming its a great stress relief and no harm on the knees.

What happens when exercise just doesnt work anymore?

Lately doing 40 laps 3-4x a week just isnt doing anything for me anymore :(
(motorcycle would be nice but its at home and i wont be there for another few weeks)

Im not sure if im just so stressed out latley or just unhappy with how things are at the moment but there's been a lot of stuff bugging me and swimming used to help. I wish i could sometimes just shut down my brain to stop thinking about things that i bug me.

People say its not what happens but how you handle it. All I can tell myself and everyone else is to keep on getting up and fighting to get what I want, things will turn around...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
haha....I was just messing around about using CF to let off a bit o' steam...Tho I am guilty of it occasionally.

Danylos, if exercise isn't helping, thinking it through is just getting you numb, you might want to try some volunteer work. It makes you feel needed, and gives some people a sense of purpose. I personally don't do a lot of volunteering, but my dad does it to cope with his depression, and it works most of the time. When it doesn't, he's busy yelling at me. I prefer him angry, rather than laying in bed all weekend sulking about.

Watching Jerry Springer makes me feel better too, along with looking at medical oddities, and being glad I don't suffer from them.....darn...I'm gonna burn in hell for those bad thoughts....

I'm guessing that no one wants suggestions along the lines of "see a therapist," since that's the easiest answer...

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
Re: Re: The cure for depression

Presumably, fucking a funny looking chick while you hang from the rafters should make you feel positively amazing.

Playing with a set of these always does it for me.

·
Moderator,
12,051 Posts
bijou said:
haha....I was just messing around about using CF to let off a bit o' steam...Tho I am guilty of it occasionally.

Danylos, if exercise isn't helping, thinking it through is just getting you numb, you might want to try some volunteer work. It makes you feel needed, and gives some people a sense of purpose. I personally don't do a lot of volunteering, but my dad does it to cope with his depression, and it works most of the time. When it doesn't, he's busy yelling at me. I prefer him angry, rather than laying in bed all weekend sulking about.

Watching Jerry Springer makes me feel better too, along with looking at medical oddities, and being glad I don't suffer from them.....darn...I'm gonna burn in hell for those bad thoughts....

I'm guessing that no one wants suggestions along the lines of "see a therapist," since that's the easiest answer...
While sometimes I think a therapist is often a good answer, sometimes it isn't. A therapist is good for those that need someone to hear them when there is something inside that is bothering them. They need someone to talk to and to vent thier issues to - sometimes just talking about something and getting it off ones chest is the first step, and a huge one, into dealing with whatever internal issues might be there.

Sometimes it isn't a good answer when there's something that is bothering someone due to external circumstances. Something that can be addressed, or worked off with a little bit of steam. Maybe a friend (Or super hot - semi geeky boyfriend) ;) to lend a listening ear and offer up advice if it's needed.

It's interesting - everyone has their own different ways for dealing with things that bother them. Maybe some are learned from childhood, and maybe others just come out naturally out of instinct. The interesting part is that different things work for different people. Exercise tends to be a common one - some go introspective, some run around and break stuff, and others bury it deep down. The one common basis is that everyone needs someone to talk to, even if it's just to lend an ear and hear them out.

Then again, I like the Jerry Springer therapy idea - coupled with a bowl of Vanilla bean ice cream and I'll put a psychologist out of a job :D

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Unmet expectations is a real depressor for me. People tell you to think and do positive things, but when they won't happen, even to a deserving person, you get down. :(

I have been running for a while now and somedays are better than others. Isolation is bad, but hanging around bad people can be just as bad. Sometimes you don't have a choice, you just gotta have faith and gut it out.

Positive loving friends and family are the best thing to cure depression in my view.

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Different things work for different people. Blast some music you like, ride your bike, cit had a good point w/ sparring, do something productive that you've been putting off (the feeling of accomplishment will be helpful)... just try to keep busy. Big plus on the friends and family, too. Oh yeah, and getting laid never hurts :)

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts

sonick said:
Running releases indigenous opiates (with the same ultimate end result, dopamine release into the pleasure center)

I've done a lot of running, usually because I was an ass during practices, and I never felt anything in my pleasure center:laughing :laughing :laughing

1 - 20 of 30 Posts