Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I miss my daggone stars
12,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

YEAH RIGHT! :laughing

After riding this weekend for the first time with my Penske and racetech fork package I can tell you why SOOOO many people insist you do something about the suspension :eek:

IT IS AMAZING what this bike can do with aftermarket suspension!

I'm been pretty fast on the ole tiller before....and she's always kinda "wallowed" in the turns. Nothing I couldn't handle, and actually gotten use to it. Like riding a very large set of washboards. It was simply not holding the road, but I consider myself a decent rider and knew I could overcome it and make the bike haul!

Well, one ride on the new suspenders and I've added another 5-10 mph on curves I was already doubling the speed limit on :thumbup:

MAN ALIVE!!! you never really appreciate what GOOD suspension can do for you till you've actually EXPERIENCED it! Cause you have no idea what you're riding on is NOT the best ever. Well basically, cause you have no BASE for judgement.

ANYWAY...If there was ANY MOD I would reccommend to ANYONE with a TLR......it's not exhaust, looks, sound, or power...I now know...it's SUSPENSION

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Nice to hear you got it sorted.... I know my buddies is a pleasure to corner with. And he hasn't even fully setup it up correctly. :eek:

Your post should say the first mod ANYONE should do is rework their suspension. :thumb

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
They're right guys. I will buy / rebuild / etc. the suspension on my next bike before ANY other mod. You can't top it.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Hey Cas., in that pic. where your leaned over around the turn, you still have the stock suspension, right?

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Did you have some pre determined settings or did you just start at one point. If you start tinkering you may be able to get even more out of it.

Tom

·
I miss my daggone stars
12,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Crusher said:
Hey Cas., in that pic. where your leaned over around the turn, you still have the stock suspension, right?
Yep, stock. And I could really rail that bike with the stock suspension :thumb

But I never had a baseline of comparison to know how good it COULD be ;)

tommymac said:
Did you have some pre determined settings or did you just start at one point. If you start tinkering you may be able to get even more out of it.
It's a custom penske set for the right weight and I've set the compression and rebound for the right way I want it.

The preload on the front will have to wait till the springs setle a bit though, so yeah there IS some tweaking left to do

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
...too bad new forks and shock costs a good boner and a half... :( Ah well, since I probably don't ride nearly half as well as Castor, I'll hit it off with some poser goodies first! :laughing

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
I still think the suspension upgrades are a must. I am hoping to at least do the rear over the winter. The front may have to wait.

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always feel that the TLR is wobbly around turns if you hit an uneven one. I was fairly new to riding so I always considered it lack of experience then. However, more and more I am thinking it's a bike's design.

Question though, do you really feel the difference with an aftermarket steering damper?

·
Registered
50 Posts
CT - bike looks sweet with the waves, Brembo calipers ? Hugger worked well - looks great.

Glad to hear the Penske works well. Will probably be my next upgrade.

:eek:hyeah

·
Registered
94 Posts
sounds like you have a new bike now :)

i remember when i bought my TL, it already had the rear ohlins and ohlin fork springs, I have never ridden a stock suspension TLR before so i have nothing to compare it too, the previous owner ad everything on the softest setting. I played with it for a hour or so and left it at that, i just change the rear when i have a pillion, doing a track day etc and leave the front as it is .. I just need to tweak the rear a bit more and the front needs a lil more adjusting, but you cant rush these big jobs ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts