Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup and Apple. I've owned a damn windows machine for so long, I'm ready for a change with my next PC. I'll still keep my current machine, but will probably strip it down for games and surfing. SO any advice from Mac owners for shopping?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
I went and looked at macs the other day because they look really good, and have the BSD core. I really like having *ix tools.

But my main complaints haven't changed since the pre OS 9 days:
* one damn mouse button. Except on the new systems, the whole top of the mouse is a button. Lame.
* I still can't find anything.
* expensive. The cinema display I used was really, really nice, but cost more than my motorcycle. :eek:

and a couple new ones

* the mouse acceleration is weird with the G4 that I played with. Move the mouse slow, and it goes really, really slow. Move it faster, and it goes normal. Move it even faster, and it goes way too fast. I like my mouse to move at a constant speed.
* everything is clear plastic now. Kinda neat in moderation, but mostly ugly.

But, hey, if you've got the money, go for the dual G4 with the huge cinema display :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Ugh....I hate Macs.......always have, and probabl always will :shake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
WOTs Chick said:
Ugh....I hate Macs.......always have, and probabl always will :shake
It's because of the one big donkey mouse button. Everybody hates the one mouse button. Even mac users hate the one big mouse button.

Jobs has said that they will never ship a 2 btn mouse.

Even worse now that the whole mouse is a big button.

My mouse has 5 buttons and a wheel, and I likes it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
I don't know about MACs, but you could check out this.
 

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
Joined
·
7,107 Posts
WOTs Chick said:
Ugh....I hate Macs.......always have, and probabl always will :shake
I'm with you on that one. The only following they usually get are heavy graphics users
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,198 Posts
Don't get one...
You have no idea what your getting yourself into you poor bastard...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Hey sarge ...

I picked up a dual 800MHz G4 about a year back that I use to do my video editing on. It's a great box, and ties back into all my Linux boxes really well ... you can get to a unix shell and everything if it comes down to now being able to figure something out under the Mac OS interface.

Me and F4_Daddy have been sharing tips back and forth on the Mac front ... let either of us know if there's something specific you're needing answered, and we'll try to hook you up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,891 Posts
I've been using Macs for years now. It's the standard when doing graphics work....mainly print. Go to an offset printing press, they've got nothing but Macs. Visit a design studio, you'll see bunches 'o shiny new Macs, and maybe a dirty old PC off in the corner.

Here's the thing, though. If I weren't in a field where it's extremelly beneficial to use an Apple, I wouldn't be using one. Why? Because PC's are so much more common. You can get more games, more (non-graphics) software, and, for the most part, spend less money.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Macs over PC's. My Apple crashes less, is easier to use and is more fun to use than my PC. But for an average user, I just don't see the reason to buy an Apple.

As for the single mouse button....I like it. But, it took quite a while to get use to it and I've been using it for years now. You can also choose from a large variety of two mouse buttons with scroll wheels. They aren't that hard to find.

I wouldn't base my choice on number of mouse buttons. That's really not that important when considering what you'll do with the machine, why you want it, how much you'll pay, what you'll install on it, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
I use a Mac and I love it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
I have always been a hard core PC user, and I was always the one saying "I hate Macs, I can't believe people buy those things, I will NEVER use a Mac." Plus, I am in the digital video / graphic design field so you would think I would be a hard core Mac user. Recently I started looking at lightweight laptops so I could carry the computer to school with me and use it between classes and in the library. I looked at a bunch of PCs and then went to Cnet for reviews. They absolutely loved the Mac Ibook, so I read some more about it. After reading NOTHING but positive reviews on the Ibook, I decided to take the plunge, commit sacriledge, and buy an Ibook. I found one on Ebay for @ $850, and it is totally tricked out. I got it home and opened the box, man what a lightweight, good looking computer. It has OSX on it, and I absolutely LOVE IT. Windows cannot hope to have an OS like this, it is so smooth and stable, and it looks so nice. I use my Ibook ALL of the time now, more than my P4 desktop with a 19inch screen and gobs of ram. I love my Mac that much. I feel like I should be on one of those commercials that you see about why everyone loves Macs. It is very easy, there are no conflicts, software errors, networking problems, anything. My campus has wireless access, and with my old PC getting the wireless card working took a LONG time because of compatibility problems. I turned on my Ibook and turned the airport card on and bam, instant access without setting up anything. I have Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Final Cut Pro and they all run perfectly with NO crashes whatsoever. The best thing though, is the standby mode on the Mac is great, it takes about 2 seconds to come out of sleep mode and there are never any freezes or need to reboot. In my opinion, anyone who says they hate Macs needs to sit down with OSX and use it for about a week, they will likely be converted like I am. The single mouse button is not a huge issue for me, and I use high end software extensively. I am thinking about getting a G4 dual processor desktop in the future, it is just so nice to not have to hassle with software and hardware incompatibilities....even though I have been a PC user for 8 years and have been a software consultant, the PC still gives me headaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,891 Posts
cgreer00 said:
I have always been a hard core PC user, and I was always the one saying "I hate Macs, I can't believe people buy those things, I will NEVER use a Mac." Plus, I am in the digital video / graphic design field so you would think I would be a hard core Mac user. Recently I started looking at lightweight laptops so I could carry the computer to school with me and use it between classes and in the library. I looked at a bunch of PCs and then went to Cnet for reviews. They absolutely loved the Mac Ibook, so I read some more about it. After reading NOTHING but positive reviews on the Ibook, I decided to take the plunge, commit sacriledge, and buy an Ibook. I found one on Ebay for @ $850, and it is totally tricked out. I got it home and opened the box, man what a lightweight, good looking computer. It has OSX on it, and I absolutely LOVE IT. Windows cannot hope to have an OS like this, it is so smooth and stable, and it looks so nice. I use my Ibook ALL of the time now, more than my P4 desktop with a 19inch screen and gobs of ram. I love my Mac that much. I feel like I should be on one of those commercials that you see about why everyone loves Macs. It is very easy, there are no conflicts, software errors, networking problems, anything. My campus has wireless access, and with my old PC getting the wireless card working took a LONG time because of compatibility problems. I turned on my Ibook and turned the airport card on and bam, instant access without setting up anything. I have Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Final Cut Pro and they all run perfectly with NO crashes whatsoever. The best thing though, is the standby mode on the Mac is great, it takes about 2 seconds to come out of sleep mode and there are never any freezes or need to reboot. In my opinion, anyone who says they hate Macs needs to sit down with OSX and use it for about a week, they will likely be converted like I am. The single mouse button is not a huge issue for me, and I use high end software extensively. I am thinking about getting a G4 dual processor desktop in the future, it is just so nice to not have to hassle with software and hardware incompatibilities....even though I have been a PC user for 8 years and have been a software consultant, the PC still gives me headaches.
Well said.

Another thing....when you have to set up 3 gig photoshop files for HUGE exhibit gaphics, you DO NOT want to use a PC to do it.

Don't say you hate Mac until you try OSX. That's like saying you hate Honda even though you've never even ridden a Honda. Take a test ride first. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Milo said:
Well said.

Another thing....when you have to set up 3 gig photoshop files for HUGE exhibit gaphics, you DO NOT want to use a PC to do it.

Don't say you hate Mac until you try OSX. That's like saying you hate Honda even though you've never even ridden a Honda. Take a test ride first. :p
OS X is great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Milo said:

As for the single mouse button....I like it. But, it took quite a while to get use to it and I've been using it for years now. You can also choose from a large variety of two mouse buttons with scroll wheels. They aren't that hard to find.

I wouldn't base my choice on number of mouse buttons. That's really not that important when considering what you'll do with the machine, why you want it, how much you'll pay, what you'll install on it, etc.
I agree, but it is the #1 thing PC users pick at when they talk about a mac. I don't really care about having one or 5 or 7 mouse buttons. I do like how having 2+ buttons works for me. I do not, however, like having one big button that also acts as the top of the mouse.

I want to like OS X, but I wasn't super impressed. Granted, my whole OS X experience was with 5 min of use in the store. It looks absolutly beautiful, and if i had the money to spare for a dual G4, there would be one sitting next to me. The display was absolutly beautiful, much better than any 3rd party flatscreen i've ever seen. All the icons and the layout of the GUI was wonderful.

To me, it seems that macs try to be appliances. The toaster of the computing world. Put in bread, set the darkness, and you get toast out. But what do you do if you want to make soup?

Then you get out iSoup, click on the Chicken and Noodle icon, and you have soup in 30 min. Want to change how it makes soup? Sorry, can't do that. Maybe if you wait for OS X.1, or look around the kitchen for third party soup software, you can do that.

But it always makes toast correctly, and it always makes soup correctly.

PCs aren't much better, but there is a ton of 3rd party support. Ocassionally you run the soup program and get toast, and sometimes the toaster part burns your toast, or just vaporizes it. If you want to modify your soup, download an update from MS, reboot three times, and pray. Usually it works, sometimes not.

Linux gives you grain, water, chicken broth, chicken, a pan, a breadmaker with 127 unmarked buttons, seasoning, noodles, and says "make some soup and toast. if you need help, type `man soup` or `man toast`. You can ask for help on irc, but they'll just tell you to RTFM anyways."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Mac's are great computers!!!!
 

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
Joined
·
7,107 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Top