Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the latest Cycle World Kevin Cameron talks about some of the different vibration modes in modern racing bikes, and how some chassie flex has been used to make the bike work better (RC51 for instance). He mentions that at about 80 mph tire irregularities are in tune with the resonate frequency of the forks, which show up in hard cornering. But at the end he talks about new tire technology coming.

In Octobers Racewatch, he tells us that both Michelin and Pirelli are testing a new computerized tire making machine, one that makes tires that are both thinner and more regular because a robot lays the cords out Then the mold is brought in to encase the tire for curing. The machine is also small enough that maybe a GP team could own one, and it doesn't take long to make a tire, over night, and you can alter the profile of the tire at will.

Looking back, the big shake ups in motorcycle racing, occur when there are changes in tire technology.
Better tires allow stiffer chassies, which can then control more hp.

Chassies and Engines leap frogging tires, and visa-versa.

With a big improvment in tires almost here, be prepared for a bump in HP, the 220+hp just might be leading to 250-260 hp. They can make more hp, just can't keep tires on the bike for a whole race, But that's going to change.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The best thing is that this could mean better tires for the general riding public. It could also indicate a rise in tire prices.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rsv1000R said:
With a big improvment in tires almost here, be prepared for a bump in HP, the 220+hp just might be leading to 250-260 hp. They can make more hp, just can't keep tires on the bike for a whole race, But that's going to change.
I don't think that will see 250-260 hp MotoGP bikes until they good a good traction control system on the bikes. On one of the MotoGP races on Speed TV, the commentator said that Rossi's bike was limited to 60% of it's full power at full lean. In three years after the electronic technology catches up will see bikes making 250hp. If the FIM let's them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tire prices went up this season 30%. I can't afford them to be higher. I want a tire making machine to go with that money making machine. :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
roadracer669 said:
Tire prices went up this season 30%. I can't afford them to be higher. I want a tire making machine to go with that money making machine. :D
amen.. if tire price continue to go up i may have to rethink this whole track riding hobby thing..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts