Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here simply because I've never heard of this before.

I just got back from a three day moto camping trip. I took my 86 Suzuki intruder vs 700. Day one and two the bike ran fine. The end of day two it would die at idle. I adjusted the throttle return and that worked for a bit by the time I made it to camp i had to rev it to keep it running in neutral. Then I started losing power. It was dark so there was little I could do. Thus morning it didn't want to start at all finally got it by giving gas.

Going up mountains I was only getting up to 50mph and it would die if i put the clutch in and let off the throttle. Got to the gas starting and I was only getting 20mpg normally 55 or so. There was a wet spot from the bottom of the exhaust manifold and almost no oil. I added oil and had to keep going to get home.

With the average of 50mph I would randomly feel the second cylinder kick in and my buddy said it was blowing smoke out of my left pipe when it fired. I figured oil in the chamber. Next stop the oil was full. About 200 miles later of the bike randomly functioning properly it was like I got all the power back moving 80 in a 70 zone. I thought it worked its self out however any time I let off the throttle it would die again.

I finally got home and started pulling it apart after a hot shower and a few beers. I worked through most of the fuel system and it all seems fine, oil is still where I filled it to and when I pulled the plug it didn't even look fouled with no oil to be seen on it.

Im going to take my time with it but was curious if anyone had an idea what was going on. My first thought is a bad valve seal.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So if anyone was wondering I've got it idling now and firing on both after several attempts at just looking at it and trying to start I noticed my rear spark plug well had spark in it. I pulled the boot and found it was cracked. Several wraps of electrical tape and that solved the no start issue.

Im curious if the oil from the exhaust was just continuous pressure building and no combustion.

Any thoughts? No oil leaking after several minutes of idling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts