Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room mate is looking to sell his bike and guy a TLR. Its really the only bike hes looked at, our buddy Gui has one and my room mate and Gui are big guys and both comfortable on TLRs. The budget is 4-6K used. What some other bikes that are worth considering? Keep in mind my room mates 6'4 275Lbs ( Football player build, not fat)

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
fuck any other bike's he can get a nice TLR for 6k, a guy down here just sold his 2001 TLR with 10000 miles on it for 6k, just look for the deals, the TLS is a nice bike too buy for his size i would say the TLR is the way to go, besides... cant beat a twin :shake

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, we have been looking man and found some awesome bikes. Were waiting on a guy to call use bike, we have tried, boards, sites, news papers. Most the stuff is out of state, but we have a truck and trailer so anything around Texas or in is game.

·
Heavy Administrator,
527 Posts
Assuming he has years of experience, and throttle maturity... a busa is a far superior machine...

:redflip

·
Registered
203 Posts
Triumphs are good for big guys too, might look into those :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stick with the Tiller.

When it comes to alternatives for them, think about 'em, laugh about 'em, forget about 'em !

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yeah, my old TLR was about 6k. The medical bills after the tank slapper were another 10. Tell your buddy to save another grand. Used RC51's start at around 7k. Honda spent the money to finish the R&D on it. A triple is another good option.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Daytonas are great bikes, and you can find them for around 6k on EBay. Plus you don't see them everywhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We think we may have found one in Houston, but the guy hasn't returned any calls. My buddys been riding for a while, dirt bikes, then he had a old kawi vulcan, then he got the Vstar a little while back. He just wants a sport bike whiles hes young, because he has alot of time down the road to be riding a cruiser.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mojo said:
Yeah, my old TLR was about 6k. The medical bills after the tank slapper were another 10. Tell your buddy to save another grand. Used RC51's start at around 7k. Honda spent the money to finish the R&D on it. A triple is another good option.
Psst, set up the suspension and buy a steering damper, problem solved!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dialed in my suspension properly and installed an Ohlins Damper and it handles just as good as any other bike. I'm 6'7" and my TLR is one of few bikes that is comfortable to ride unlike the RC51.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Jason01'TLR said:
I dialed in my suspension properly and installed an Ohlins Damper and it handles just as good as any other bike. I'm 6'7" and my TLR is one of few bikes that is comfortable to ride unlike the RC51.
I can definitely say without a doubt that my TLR was much more comfy than my RC51. I spent two solid days in the saddle last weekend and by the end of it I felt like a prison bitch! The RC handles worlds better, though. It just seems that if you have to spend tons of money to fix the suspension on a bike, you may as well just buy one that works right out of the box. Granted, I'm a little sour toward the TL after my experience. Even though the RC has more power, the TL *felt* more powerful. I really loved the TL's power delivery.

BTW- I had my suspension done by Race Tech on the TLR. Factory turd damper, though. Funny thing, I was planning on purchasing an Ohlins that Saturday, I crashed the Wednesday before!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mojo said:
I can definitely say without a doubt that my TLR was much more comfy than my RC51. I spent two solid days in the saddle last weekend and by the end of it I felt like a prison bitch! The RC handles worlds better, though. It just seems that if you have to spend tons of money to fix the suspension on a bike, you may as well just buy one that works right out of the box. Granted, I'm a little sour toward the TL after my experience. Even though the RC has more power, the TL *felt* more powerful. I really loved the TL's power delivery.

BTW- I had my suspension done by Race Tech on the TLR. Factory turd damper, though. Funny thing, I was planning on purchasing an Ohlins that Saturday, I crashed the Wednesday before!
When I sold my VTR1000 I was going to purchase the RC........already riding Honda. I just couldn't deal with the fact and discomfort of my knees being above the tank. The RC is probably better built and more suited for the track out of the box but for my everyday riding my TLR suits this rickety 6'7"er ok. My baby has never given me an ounce of trouble. I'll take one of each please.

·
Registered
19 Posts
gixxerdreaming said:
He just wants a sport bike whiles hes young, because he has alot of time down the road to be riding a cruiser.
I intend to ALWAYS be riding sportbikes. A guy I used to ride with is 57 and rides the shit out of his RC51. I also ran into a 71 year old on a Ducati 888 tearing it up in the mountains once.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
cappy said:
How 'bout a Duc 916/996?:redflip Ahhh it's nice to be 5'8" :redflip
Damn skippy! :toothy I sat on an RC51 at a dealer a few weeks ago.. it felt like it was MADE for me. It's a very.. ah... INTIMATE seating position.. felt like I was melding with the bike. I can see how you tall fuckers would have a problem with it. Can't see through the windscreen because of your knees and shit. :redflip

1 - 20 of 21 Posts