Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TLR came with a PCII but it wasn't hooked up because the previous owner told the dealer he couldn't get it to run right/he liked the stock settings better.

I have a TERRIBLE flat spot in second gear around 4-6K.

I have been reading a little on the TRE. My question is, if I get the PCII dialed in at a DynoTune center, would I still need/see any benefit from a TRE?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Don't put the TRE on AFTER having the bike tuned. If you're going to use it, do it before as it will change your map.

You can eliminate most of the effects of that flatspot (the timing retard) w/the PCII, but in my opinion (eek, the dreaded 'o' word) the TRE still helps.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Oops, sorry. ^_^

I'll be more careful in the future. :laughing

·
Registered
91 Posts
Take the PCII and throw it away.Put the TRE on and use a yosh box to remap and be done.Had the PCII and got rid of it

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hmmm, I had a PCII and it worked great, I also had a TRE too, and a custom map...:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hammer4 said:
Hmmm, I had a PCII and it worked great, I also had a TRE too, and a custom map...:D
That is cool that the PCII worked for ya but from what I read you have a Gixxer.The PCII's don't(from my experience) work that well on the TLR.

·
Registered
301 Posts
NasTTwin said:
That is cool that the PCII worked for ya but from what I read you have a Gixxer.The PCII's don't(from my experience) work that well on the TLR.
Welp, I've never owned a TLR..so I'll take your word for it..:D

·
Vespa Rider
1,199 Posts
NasTTwin said:
Take the PCII and throw it away.Put the TRE on and use a yosh box to remap and be done.Had the PCII and got rid of it
Eric listen too those words. There exactly what I told ya biatch!:rolleyes

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
PCII worked awesome on my TLS. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the PCII in my TLR, it helps but I wasn't really thrilled. I just put in the home made TRE yesterday and took it for a ride, and it definitely felt much smoother.

However, I am still considering trying out the YAFMS, since I am just going to program it and forget it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Actually this post should be TRE/Yosh vs PCII.The other thing about having the Yosh box if ya decided to is that it works on the FI bikes 02 GSXR600,98-02 GSXR750,GSXR1000,And Hayabusa.You do the math.Oh yeah and we can forget the TLR and S

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Yes, but so do the appropriate Power Commander products.... I don't get your point there? Oh wait, I see it's not model specific so if you BUY one you can use it on other bikes... Most people I know just use the shop's YAFMS box and never buy one at all...

Ultimately it boils down to (in my opinion) this (when speaking of pre03-TL's):

The YAFMS Box is easy to use, easy to tune, has a low occurance of problems or errors. It's fire and forget.

The PCII is harder to use, but infiniately more adjustable. Better maps can be made w/the PCII but it costs $$ to do so. Without investing the extra money, you can still try any of the dozens (perhaps hundreds) of maps that others out in the world have made for their bikes. The PCII had some quality issues in the past.

If you want the bike to just run better and never think about it again? Get a YAFMS map. If you want to squeeze everything you can out of your bike? Get a PCII. Just my $.01.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ya pretty much got it Adam.The one thing that you may have been missing is that the PCII has not given very good results on the TLR.I see you have a TLS,I do see that you modded your motor but unless you put a TLR engine(Complete),Wiring and a TLR ECU in your bike you will not see what many others have seen.So to anyone that has a TLR all I can say is DO NOT waist your $$$$'s on a PCII.Adam this is in no way a dig at you just has been my experience with the PCII and the TLR.
I would be interested to know what kind of HP you got out of you bike with the mods that you have done to you bike.I have always been a fan of the TLS:toothy

P.S I bought the Box myself because I don't take my bike to shops.And it has come in handy with the last few bike that i have owned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How does 1 Yoshi box work with multiple bikes? Do you get different harnesses to connect to different bikes? Or is it a standard?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
NasTTwin said:
Ya pretty much got it Adam.The one thing that you may have been missing is that the PCII has not given very good results on the TLR.I see you have a TLS,I do see that you modded your motor but unless you put a TLR engine(Complete),Wiring and a TLR ECU in your bike you will not see what many others have seen.So to anyone that has a TLR all I can say is DO NOT waist your $$$$'s on a PCII.Adam this is in no way a dig at you just has been my experience with the PCII and the TLR.
I would be interested to know what kind of HP you got out of you bike with the mods that you have done to you bike.I have always been a fan of the TLS:toothy

P.S I bought the Box myself because I don't take my bike to shops.And it has come in handy with the last few bike that i have owned.
Cool. :) You're right though, I've seen more iffy results on a TLR than the TLS. PRIOR to any of my motorwork my TLS was making averge dyno runs of 119.1 rwHP and 77.6 ft-lbs of torque. :D Best it ever made was 119.6, but we never got that to repeat.... I think that's pretty serious horsepower out of a bike that's rated ~106ish stock. :D

I'll be putting her back on the dyno next week (hopefully) to get the final results of my motorwork... Basically I've gone to TLR pistons, 97 TLS cams, and did a little shave work on the heads. Compression tests out at a clean 12.56 front and 12.55 rear.... We'll see what kind of numbers she turns soon. I know what my butt dyno says, but ya know what that's worth... :laughing Still, I'm expect "Da Beast" as I call her, to be in the 130s for rwHP and well into the mid 80s for torque. :bluecreep :bluecreep :bluecreep

What I'd really like to do is figure out how to raise the redline a little bit. She slams so hard into 10.5K that it's not funny. Not that I *need* any more power... It's purely a *want* thing. :toothy

GLee: Seems like the Yosh box clips onto specific wires iirc. Pierces the insulation and all that? I don't think it's harness based... but I can't remember for sure, it's been over a year since I've seen one up close and personal...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glen there is a plug in the tailsection on the bikes all have the same plug.Plug the Yosh box to this plug do the remap unplug it and you are done.If ya had 10 bikes all lined up you could do them all one right after the other and when that is done you put the box in you toolbox for when it is needed again.
The plug is located on the left side of the tail.If ya take the cowl off and look between the trunk and the tailsection you will see a plug that has a cap on it.That is it

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
That'd be the so called "Dealer Mode" plug wouldn't it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Didn't know dealer plug is universal across different bikes. That's cool. So overall the Yoshi box is really a better buy then. I am getting pretty fed up with the PCII, mainly because I think it loses maps sometimes. Although I have no good way of proving it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
AdamTLS said:
That'd be the so called "Dealer Mode" plug wouldn't it?
Actually Adam NO it is not the dealer mode plug.Anyway there is another plug by the one you are referring to Adam and on the wiring diagram it seems to have no designation.I will just say this again "The use of the PCII on the TLR is a major waist of money"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts