Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting into some club racing but want to improve on my skills some (gee I feel like a newbie all over again :D ). Any suggestions on particular track schools that would be a good ones??

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
I've never been to one, but my question is: How come Kevin Schwantz and Freddie Spencer charge over $2000, and the other guys(Keith Code, Star, etc) are all only a couple of hundered.
What do you get from the KS, or FS school that makes it worth 2-4 times the amount.:confused :confused :confused

·
Moderator,
9,884 Posts
I would suggest the California Superbike School aka Keith Code's school. They are not as race oriented as some of the other schools, they work on the top mistakes riders in general make, thus helping with your street as well as track riding. I’ve only taken the level one course with them, but next year I will be going back for more.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have taken the Ed Bargy and if he does one in your area it is pretty good. Cost is like $325 fo the 1 day. After completion you can get your provisional race license. Ed is very knowledgable and the class was a blast. If you are taking it for racing then it is worth looking at.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have heard nothing but good things about Keith Code's school. Was supposed to do the class a few days ago here in Florida but things just didn't work out. :( Maybe next time.

Schwantz's school has had alot of good reviews as well. His prices keep going up and now his school is more expensive than Code's.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
karl_1052 said:
I've never been to one, but my question is: How come Kevin Schwantz and Freddie Spencer charge over $2000, and the other guys(Keith Code, Star, etc) are all only a couple of hundered.
What do you get from the KS, or FS school that makes it worth 2-4 times the amount.:confused :confused :confused
There are alot more frills with the Spencer school. A good lunch, and I believe hotel is also included, as examples. And his school is a Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I also believe those prices include track bike rental for Spencer and Schwantz.

·
Registered
775 Posts
karl_1052 said:
Remember that you are learning from THE Freddie Spencer and THE Kevin Schwantz, plus the AMA pro racers that teach at their schools (AMA privateers Lee Acree & Opie Caylor are instructors at Schwantz and Suzuki factory rider Jamie Hacking occasionally comes on board). If you dont know whats so special about KS and FS, time to review your motorcycle racing history :D Not downplaying the credentials of Keith Code, Ed Bargy, etc. at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I too recommend the Code school. It was a great time and I learned a lot. Class time kind of sucked but the track time can't be beat.
1 Track instructor for every 4 riders. The feed back was excellent.

HIGHLY recommend at least level I

·
Registered
413 Posts
hondasarge said:
I'm thinking about getting into some club racing but want to improve on my skills some (gee I feel like a newbie all over again :D ). Any suggestions on particular track schools that would be a good ones??
Don't forget, if you're going to a school to get a race licence, the school has to be recognized by the sanctioning body that you'll be racing under.

Bargy is recognized by WERA and CCS (I believe).
Learning Curves is recognized by CCS.
Schwantz school is recognised by WERA.

Make sure you check this out with one of the racers in your area before spending your money.

·
Registered
413 Posts
karl_1052 said:
Karl, I'll probably make myself really unpopular but I'll give you an honest answer. I've been to both of those schools and the cost broke down like this.

~$2000 for the Spencer School
~$700 for the Schwantz school

As the cost went down the average age of the participants went down also. At Spencers school I was surrounded by mainly 40-50 age somethings who had respect for life and limb, 2 days of school no crashes. At Schwantz's school the average age was lower 20 - 40 somethings, 1 day of class and three crashes. The average speed of the classes was very similar. YMMV, but I wonder what a ~$300 1 day class would be like based on that correlation?

The other thing I found was Spencers school had a real curriculum (how to trail brake successfully), with drills to reinforce the classroom sessions. Schwantz's school was a little less focussed and the drills were not as thorough. In all fairness Schwantz's school still seemed to be developing while Spencers school had been in operation a couple of years before I attended. All that said I'll go to Schwantz's school again and I'm thinking about going to STAR school.

Regards,
Terry

·
Moderator,
2,475 Posts
Hey... check out www.putnampark.com and then go to their schedule, they have a ton of schools come it, I think Keith Code goes there... yeah tons of stuff there :D

I am planning on taking one too, not sure if it will be at putnam though, I was told to make sure you investigate them thouroughly because the different schools have different styles and that some focus more on one thing then another... does that make sense?? I have no clue as of yet which ones focus on what, but I need to start my searching soon to find the best one :D:D

Good luck and is the mrs's going to do it too??

·
Registered
454 Posts
TJA1 said:
Karl, I'll probably make myself really unpopular but I'll give you an honest answer. I've been to both of those schools and the cost broke down like this.

~$2000 for the Spencer School
~$700 for the Schwantz school

As the cost went down the average age of the participants went down also. At Spencers school I was surrounded by mainly 40-50 age somethings who had respect for life and limb, 2 days of school no crashes. At Schwantz's school the average age was lower 20 - 40 somethings, 1 day of class and three crashes. The average speed of the classes was very similar. YMMV, but I wonder what a ~$300 1 day class would be like based on that correlation?

Regards,
Terry
Well I can tell you I actually crashed in the Bargy school. It was just a momentary brain fart but it cost me the rest of the day. The thing you need to look at is why you are taking the class. I took Bargy becuase I wanted a race license. At that school they teach how to go faster on the track, it is geared for the racer and possibly the track day junkie. I think that is where some of the different crash ratios come in. Also I believe the Bargy certificate is good for Wera, CCS, AHRMA, and I think one more I can't think of right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts