Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Triumph ValMoto is pleased to announce that in 2004 it will once again contest the British Supersport Championship with the stunning Daytona 600. The factory effort is aiming to build on the success of its first season of competition and become a genuine title contender.
Teenage sensation Craig Jones has been confirmed as the team's sole rider. Last season, the 18-year-old impressed many with his skill and determination before finally achieving Triumph's first-ever British Supersport podium finish.
"I'm extremely happy to be continuing ValMoto's groundbreaking partnership with Triumph," said Team Manager Jack Valentine. "Working with a British manufacturer has been a lifetime ambition for me and last season was one of the most rewarding of my career. We had our highs and lows but certainly succeeded in demonstrating the true potential of the Daytona 600. We've made further improvements in performance since the end of the season and I'm feeling exceptionally positive about the year ahead. "The single-rider structure has proven to be a success in Supersport," he continued. "In 2003 the championship was dominated by teams that fielded only one rider. Craig learned a great deal during that time thanks to a close working relationship with Jim Moodie and I now feel that he is ready to shoulder the responsibility himself. He is an exceptional talent and one which Triumph and ValMoto are keen to nurture."
Jones' never say die attitude helped develop Triumph's 600cc challenger from an excellent road bike to a remarkable racing machine. By signing for a second year, he has also shown that he has the maturity and commitment to see a project through to completion.
"I'm really looking forward to my second season with Triumph ValMoto," said Jones. "There's a lot being said at the moment about the lack of opportunities for young riders, so it's great that a major manufacturer has put its faith in me.
"The learning curve was steep last season but I had a fantastic team-mate and things came together toward the end. I got a real sense of satisfaction from playing my part in our success and next year we should be competing on a more level playing field."
A further announcement regarding Triumph ValMoto and its commercial partners will be made in due course.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems the Triumph sportbike line isn't quite dead, as it's been reported by some boards. I'll be very interested in following their results this coming year. Shame about them dropping Moodie, but if one rider teams seem to be the way to go, than more power to 'em.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
I wonder if they will try entering into the AMA races as well.

Tom

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tommymac said:
I wonder if they will try entering into the AMA races as well.

Tom
Triumph? Not as an official effort. Huey130 already tried pitching a team concept to them for WERA and some AMA races, and got silence back from them. There was a team out of GA doing occational rounds with TT600 and than a D600. I hope they continue

·
Cranky Euro-Gnome
1,344 Posts
SprintST said:
Shame about them dropping Moodie, but if one rider teams seem to be the way to go, than more power to 'em.
I was under the impression that after the mess at the IOM and his recovery from his injuries, Moodie has basically come out and said he can't race with the needed agression to win anymore and sort of retired at the end of the season. Or was that just for road races like the IOM or Northwest 200.
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Tonight we dine in HELL!!
2,541 Posts
SprintST said:
Seems the Triumph sportbike line isn't quite dead, as it's been reported by some boards.
I sure hope the sportbike line doesnt die off...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, With that Great movie coming out:rolleyes , and The new changes to the windscreen on the Daytona 955i... And if the Daytona 600 does any good on the track... i can actually see them picking up in sales... The bad thing for you Triumph owners, The crowd that might be buying them may be the "Fast and Furious" groupies... They see Ice cube doing really cool wheelies and jumping over trains and stuff... They are bound to get in on the action :eek

I have never rode a Daytona 600, But from the looks of them I would not mind owning one... My only complaint is the tank... It looks like an alien head or something! If it had a 955i tank on it.. I would like it way better! I also like the Daytona 955i, the new windscreen on it looks kewl. I also really like the tail off of the 99-01's.. Maybe they were 97-01?? Can't remember!
But I think they are moving in the right direction, Maybe if they get some AMA podiums... They will become more and more popular... I think the bike builders have done their part... Now its up to the P-R people to get the word out in the states... Maybe some kool commercials with the daytonas flying around a track, Roping a good rider to climb aboard the Triumph brand in the AMA series..

The potential is there, Its really up to them if they want to take it to the next level! (in popularity that is, They seem to be there in performance)

Damn, Thats long!! Get me started, and I don't shut up!:nanana

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lee955i said:
I was under the impression that after the mess at the IOM and his recovery from his injuries, Moodie has basically come out and said he can't race with the needed agression to win anymore and sort of retired at the end of the season. Or was that just for road races like the IOM or Northwest 200.
Cheers, Lee S.
The only injuries he got at the IoM was a sore neck, and he never stopped racing. He's stated he won't return to real road racing(IoM NW200, etc).

·
Cranky Euro-Gnome
1,344 Posts
SprintST said:
The only injuries he got at the IoM was a sore neck, and he never stopped racing. He's stated he won't return to real road racing(IoM NW200, etc).
Yes, true, but if you look at his results after the Isle, they really kinda went right in tie toilet, like he was missing something:(
Then I read the blurb about him not doing anymore road racing, then....seemed to disappear.
Curious. Has he signed on with anyone else for next year, yet?
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lee955i said:
Yes, true, but if you look at his results after the Isle, they really kinda went right in tie toilet, like he was missing something:(
Then I read the blurb about him not doing anymore road racing, then....seemed to disappear.
Curious. Has he signed on with anyone else for next year, yet?
Cheers, Lee S.
Haven't heard of him signing. Ya gotta remember that British series regularly has guys racing late into their 30's, ala Steve Hislop, etc, so I don't think Moodie is ready to step out. Though I could be wrong, having a guy like Big Dave die right in front of you on the course could have a way of shaking you. Though his riding in the British Supersport series hasn't been exactly timid, from what I read. Eh, time will tell:shrug

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jon Kelly said:
Well, With that Great movie coming out:rolleyes , and The new changes to the windscreen on the Daytona 955i... And if the Daytona 600 does any good on the track... i can actually see them picking up in sales... The bad thing for you Triumph owners, The crowd that might be buying them may be the "Fast and Furious" groupies... They see Ice cube doing really cool wheelies and jumping over trains and stuff... They are bound to get in on the action :eek
I'm special cuz of me, not because I have a bike noone else rides. ANY pick up in sales means lower prices and more choices. That's what really matters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys, not been on here for a while so apologies. Knowing Jim Moodie well I thought I would let you know one or two things that have been happening.

First of all there have been management changes at Triumph and I’m not sure if that has anything to do with the changes to their racing plans but cutting back to a one rider set up is something that Moodie did not expect. Jim’s a seasoned campaigner and although I am biased he is probably one of the best development riders there is, that’s apart from being a bloody good rider. His ability to set up a motorcycle is nothing short of amazing and that’s one of the reasons why Triumph got the Moodster on board in the first place. I’ve watched him go through many points with the bike, slowly but surely getting each point sorted as the season went on. Lets not forget the Honda’s and Yamahas have been developed over the years, not just in the UK, but all around the world and there is a mountain of tuning and set up data available to anyone who is serious about racing these bikes at a high level.

The Triumph effort has to be put into perspective, in that they had no data whatsoever for suspension or tuning. Lap records have been smashed by over a second at most of the circuits and Moodie and Jones were running at previous lap record speeds…..not good enough for this year, 2003, but still a really good motorcycle nevertheless.

The major problem with the bike (not the road bike) was that it was backing in to the corners under braking, the knock on effect being unpredictability in the handling department. The main cause for this is usually fuelling or sometimes the clutch and as they have no slipper clutch the fuelling was always the main area for improvement. It’s bloody ironic that after the season finished they have all but solved the backing in problem with a new fuelling system. It’s even more amazing that the new fuelling system has released a new batch of horses and if the riders had that at the beginning of the season I would guess a much better overall result would have been the case.

Craig Jones has a riding style that “backing in” was less of a problem. Moodie on the other hand is a high corner speed rider and he tends to tip it in earlier and as you can imagine the backing in, then, becomes more of a problem. Jones had no real development worries, or set up skills, whereas Moodie was always thinking of ways to improve the bike. That’s no excuse, just fact. I would also say the Moodie would not push the bike over the limit in order to gain a couple of places, especially if those extra places was only going to move him up the minor placing’s.

The opposition had more powerful engines and I’ll not be far off saying that the Triumphs were around 9 bhp down on the other top bikes and in supersport you cannot afford to give that amount away. The new fuelling system has given the team that extra power and I have little doubt that Craig Jones will run at a higher pace next season. It’s a real shame Jim Moodie won’t be in the position to reap the rewards from his, and the teams, hard work.

I have serious doubt about running a single rider. There’s little doubt that Jones is fast, really fast, but he has no real set up experience. I’ve seen it a few times when Jones was off the pace and Moodie would sort out his bike, no problem. As I said it’s not hard with other bikes to get some basic set up info from the grape vine. With Triumph there will be no fall back, no Moodie and no other teams running the same bikes. Jones, to his credit, gave Moodie lots of praise for his performances and I know Jim Moodie wishes Jonesy and the team well.

As for the TT….well that’s a highly volatile subject and its worth remembering Moodie still holds three TT lap records besides his 8 wins. People don’t realise that he was so close to being killed and if it wasn’t for the telephone wires breaking as they tightened round his neck. He often wonders if there was another wire on that rig he wouldn’t be here today. He also lay for over ten minutes for medical attention and if he did sever an artery, then who knows. Of course there are lots more to this but DJ was his mate and I think after that incident Moodie was almost sure about his TT future.

Here are a few web sites, if you don’t know already, that could be useful. I have also put in a link to DJ’s web site, still run by his father Tony. There’s an article on the home page headed “David Jefferies inquest” I think you will find it quite chilling.

I hope you all had a good Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Harvey T.

http://www.davidjefferiesracing.com/

http://www.thomson24.fsworld.co.uk/page52.html

http://www.triumphvalmoto.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts