1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
:eek 5,600 people. :( More missing... WOW.

Can you imagine?

Officials, however, said thousands were missing and more than a half million had been displaced.

The huge waves also swept away a high security prison in Matara, in southern Sri Lanka, allowing 200 prisoners to escape. Eyewitnesses in eastern Sri Lankan port city of Trincomalee reported waves as high as 40 feet (12 meters), hitting inland as far as half a mile (1 km).
and

Along India's southeastern coast, several villages appeared to have been swept away, and thousands of fishermen -- including 2,000 from the Chennai area alone -- who were out at sea when when the massive waves swept across the waters have not returned.
both quotes from: CNN.com

:( :(

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked at the article again on the att page and it up over 7k

This is going to be nasty

Tom

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jester27 said:
I just read up to 8k and a lot more missing. That had to be scary as hell:eek :eek
+1 they are saying bodies are just washing up on the shoreline:eek

Tom

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Has a tsunami ever hit the US east coast?? I live steps from the shore...I'm kinda worried...:eek

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just read about all of it. Northern tip of Sumatra was the epicenter, 8.9!:eek Largest since 1964. The damn waves made it 1000 miles West to Sri Lanka! :eek

My cousin and her husband are over there I think....

·
Moderator,
14,193 Posts
Over 10,000 dead now and its still rising.... Just unreal...

Scientists say the entire planet is still vibrating after the earthquake yesterday... Thats how big this thing was.... :(

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
I heard of the earthquake, but they downplayed the Tsunami it created. I suppose because it wasn't going to hit anything major. :rolleyes

MV, when La Palma goes (can happen with the next volcanic erruption or earthquake they have), a 700 kph wall of water 50-80 meters high will take out the entire East Coast in just over 8 hours from when it begins. :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
D.T. said:
I just read about all of it. Northern tip of Sumatra was the epicenter, 8.9!:eek Largest since 1964. The damn waves made it 1000 miles West to Sri Lanka! :eek

My cousin and her husband are over there I think....
D.T.: Are your cousin and her husband living in Sri Lanka or just visiting?

I am originally from Sri Lanka (now living in Texas) and my parents parents still live there. Depending on which part of the island there are in, I may be able to give some insight into if those areas were affected or not.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
rip :(

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
"An Acehnese woman tries to identify her missing relatives among bodies of victims of a tsunami that hit following an earthquake in Lhokseumawe, Aceh province, Indonesia, Sunday. (AP/str)"

More then 11 300 people killed and going up :(

Attachments

·
Stress Relief 101
13,580 Posts
11300. :shake

James

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.