Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rest in peace to all those who have been effected or killed by the tsunami which hit the Pacific/Indian Oceans.

Last death count I saw on the news was 13,000. :(

-Kate

·
Registered
39 Posts
They say at least 11,500 are dead in Sri Lanka alone - now 16,400 overall in south-east Asia. I'm wondering what relief packages will be available, how to contribute and whether they will need volunteers.

I've just had friends fly home to Sri Lanka on Christmas Eve and haven't been able to get in contact with them yet. :(

·
This little piggy went to market...
2,684 Posts
We were planning on visiting Phuket, Thailand for vacation next year but it looks like that may be delayed.

The Kata Beach Resort is where I usually stay and it got hit pretty hart along with Patong Beach. :(

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Bravo1 said:
We were planning on visiting Phuket, Thailand for vacation next year but it looks like that may be delayed.
I've found that one of the best times to visit a place is after a catastrophy...I can't really describe the felling, but you'll never feel it anywhere else...one of our trips to Kauai was three months after Iniki and everything was all boarded up and destroyed...hotels were nice and empty, too :D Besides the locals, it almost felt like we had the island to ourselves. Then after a few trips to other islands over the years, we went back and everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
689 Posts
damn 9.0 earthquake. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to experience that along with tidal waves. I have been through a 5.0 epicenter 3 miles from my house and the 6.9 Loma Prieta and I remember all the damage those caused and they were nothing compared to this one. The true count will be out in a couple of days. I hope it isn't too much higher

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Horrible horrible travesty. The death toll was about 44,000 as of this morning.

But with lack of clean drinking water this could become much more horrible very fast. My thoughts go out to the families involved and the fallen. RIP :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.