Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden the Tuono? After being used to the 954 and now the R1, I've not been impressed with the twins I've ridden thusfar, but that bike is just plain cool. I'm curious what someone other than the standard bike-rag reviewers has to say.

· Registered
535 Posts
i love the look of the tuono, i saw one at a vendors tent at road atlanta last year....very sweet, very trick looking....might have to picked up a used one in a few years (12k for a streetfighter? man i just cant see it)

· Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dvus3000 said:
go to www.apriliaforum.com and ask your question there. Or go to moto international and they'll let you take a test ride.
I may take it for a ride, but first I was hoping to get some feedback from someone in this forum. I'd rather hear an opinion from someone I know than random nettrash.

· Registered
7,594 Posts
More or less that's a mille engine with an upright position. I think the older models of R versions has the Ohlins suspension upgrades. Of course if you can find and can afford the higher prices of the Race setup then you'd have some carbon fiber fairings and a choice of straight risers or clip-ons, but you would be paying a hefty price tag. I was thinking of buying the tuono as an all around bike since it kept the mille engine, but I was convinced not to just because of the pure sprotbiking reasons. Let us know what you think of the test ride though.

· Registered
8,602 Posts
great bike. i only have about 2000 miles on mine but i love it now. truthfully, i had a couple small issues on mine that i've just now sorted. but almost all of that was due to aftermarket modifications. i have ohlins suspension and the oz lightweight wheels on mine. so take that with a grain of salt. the only issue i've had with it in "stock" form is that the dashboard had a couple defective number on the odometer. they replaced that a few weeks ago and everything is good.

as someone else mentioned, it is in essence a comfortable mille. i'm about 6'2" and 250# with a 34" inseam. the tuono is pretty damn comfortable for me. it's a tall bike, which works out well for me. i had adjustable footpegs on to give me a little more legroom and now it's really perfect. although i met a guy up here a few weeks ago who also had a gray tuono and he was probably around 5'6" if not shorter. i asked him about it and he said that he hasn't really had an issue with the height. go figure. i had a falco before the tuono and the position was just a little too aggressive for daily driving. but the tuono is a perfect compromise. the wide handlebars make riding the tuono feel like a mx bike (from what i would gather). the leverage is really great and you find yourself kinda throwing the bike down under you in some turns.

power delivery is what you would expect from a twin. nice low end with lots of torque. the thing wheelies at the drop of a hat even though i'm terrible at wheelies. from the factory most aprilias have an odd flat spot around 5500 rpm. it's nothing that a good pipe/slip-on and new efi chip can't fix. i have a power commander on mine and had a renegade slip-on and chip on the falco.

my suspension isn't stock for a standard tuono, so i don't know if my comments will help you in that regard. but i do know that i've just raised my forks into my triple clamps by three lines (ohlins) and it's turning in great. but the other tuono riders i've been with all seem to find the stock suspension set-up really good.

the bike is pretty flickable for a literbike and the ergo's are good for both aggressive street, track or casual riding. it's a great all-rounder. honestly though, for a true all-rounder i prefer my zrx. the tuono is really a race-derived bike and you can feel that it's a little more "high-strung" than the zrx, which is pretty much a straight-on street bike.

i haven't tracked my tuono yet since i bought a much cheaper bike to play with at the track. but a lot of the guys at aprilaiforum have been all over the track with theirs and only have good things to report. the only downside for a tuono on the track is, of course, the weight distribution compared to the mille. take a full-on race bike and then raise the bars so that there's less weight over the front wheel and figure out yourself what happens. but it's very manageable i'm sure.

wind protection is surprisingly good for a naked bike. at my height the windshield deflects the wind to hit the top of my helmet. so not very much buffeting and the hands are actually out of the windblast due to the little design elements right around the grips.

really a fantastic bike. if you're looking for one i'd suggest looking for a used one. they're popping up now and aprilias traditionally don't hold their values all that well. there are a few for sale on apriliaforum. there's even an "r" model for sale with lots of mods. lemme know if you have any more questions. i know bbqchef has one and i think one other tuono is running around in the euro forum.

· 90% scare tissue
5,482 Posts
Giggy go to moto Int and ride one! Dave is pretty cool bout that 206-297-3822 talk to dave!

Or talk to clarkie on aprilia forums!

the tuono [thunder in Italian] is basicly a naked mille.....so you get all the handling and power of the mille without the stiff neck

Just go ride one...... the braking and handling is awesome! It is just a tick slower than your R-1 unmodded with some minor mods it will be just as fast ;)

· Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hm... almost as fast as the R1, flickable and sexy as hell? Starting to sound better and better...

Thanks, thunderex

· Registered
8,602 Posts
nakedjig said:
Hm... almost as fast as the R1, flickable and sexy as hell? Starting to sound better and better...

Thanks, thunderex
no problem man. check out apriliaforum. most of the posters there aren't too biased towards prillers. they'll give you some honest opinions and some of those folks are VERY technically savvy. they'll point you towards any mods you might have questions about.

· Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
briF4i said:
I think we are about to loose another inline to a twin :(
The more I read about it, the more likely you're right. The test-ride will make the decision. I started to go today, but got rained out. I'll try again on Friday or Saturday.

· Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Anyone have a preference? I'm cool with a meet-up.

· And we will send you to whatever God you wish
3,444 Posts
smokee said:
but i want to look at a futura :)
F00kin awesome bike. Rode with a guy last year who absolutely railed on it. Wheelied it too and it was a sweet looking bike.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.