Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The Artful Dodger
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I was bored in traffic and was thinking about this today...just a little mental exercise:

What is faster, a turbo Busa or a Boss Hoss?
I saw a video of this Turbo Busa, I think there was a post about it here...the speedo moves faster than my tach! Now, at the monthly Ephrata, PA gathering, I also saw a Boss Hoss with NOS, if you believe that! That thing must have been god-awful fast too.

So which bike is faster? I guess 1/4 mile and top speed would be good measures. I would hate to think that the "fastest bike" award would go to *gulp* cruiser!!:eek
Also, I would intuitively think that aerodynamics would be a major factor at the higher speeds.

Waddya say?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Busa by a long shot, IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
BTW- Does a Boss Hoss Turn? :D
 

·
Rule #34
Joined
·
14,508 Posts
what if I told you the standard Boss Hosses are not exactly rockets.

I have seen them dragged at tracks and have ridden with two up the highway.

They are almost as fast as the current 600s in the 1/8th mile.

The problem is that they weigh 1200-1400lbs depending on model. The Boss Hoss is just an outrageous bike with decent performance. Look at any BossHoss site. Do they post performance numbers? Usually just for braking and some bullshit "Classified" in the top speed field.

whether it's 300hp or 502hp....it's of patchwork design at best. Beat a turbo Hayabusa? I want to see them beat a stock literbike first. I doubt that highly.
You'd figure that a bike that's biult around the premise of being the worlds only V8 muscle motorcycle would atleast post some numbers.......I guess that's "classified" info. :confused


:D
 

·
The Artful Dodger
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt do my homework before posting...I am pretty ignorant to the Boss Hoss's capability.

I guess I remember reading somewhere how the Boss Hoss was "so much more" powerful and fast than even a Busa. And I wondered, hmmm, whaddabout a Turbo Busa?

I guess that thing I read was full of it...I didn't know the Boss Hoss was so slow.



















....and NO, it CANT turn!:redflip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
I thought the Boss's were capable of sub-10 second 1/4's? Def not the 350's but the 502's. My uncle owns one and said that to my dad, but he was prob just trying to sound like a badass. Thats uncle steve for ya...:laughing :redflip


*****:confused
 

·
Rule #34
Joined
·
14,508 Posts
Make Boss Hoss
Model Stud Hoss
Powertrain Layout Mid Engine / RWD
Base Price $25,500
Dimensions

WheelBase 1981 mm / 78 in
Length 2133 mm / 84 in
Height 1168 mm / 46 in
Width 914 mm / 36 in
Weight 500 kg / 1100 lbs
Seat Height 660 mm / 26 in
Engine

Configuration Liquid-Cooled, V-8
Valvetrain SOHC 4 valves / cylinder
Displacement 8226 cc / 502 cu in
Power 443 kw / 670 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque 627 nm / 502 ft lbs @ 4200 rpm
Bore 113 mm / 4.47 in
Stroke 101 mm / 4.00 in
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
BHP / Liter 85.0 bhp
Redline 6,000 rpm
Carburetion 4-barrel Holley Carburetor
Transmission

Type 2-Speed powerglide auto with reverse
Final Drive -
1st Gear Ratio -
2nd Gear Ratio -
3rd Gear Ratio -
4th Gear Ratio -
5th Gear Ratio -
6th Gear Ratio -
Chassis & Body

Front Suspension Dual Forks
Rear Suspension 2x2 Swing arm polished-chrome
Tire Sizes F 120/70-ZR16
R 230-55-ZR15
Brake Types Cross drilled discs
Brake Size F - mm / - in
R - mm / - in
Available ABS Not Available
Body Material Steel perimeter 1.5 in chrome molly .095
Performance

Top Speed 221.0 mph / 355 kph
0 - 30 mph 1.2 seconds
0 - 60 mph 1.9 seconds
0 - 100 mph 5.1 seconds
0 - ¼ mile 8 @ 140 mph
EPA City / Hwy 24/30 mpg
Series

The Patriot The Bruiser
Boston's Boss Mountain Flame
Black Jack Jersey Runner
Big Blue Carbon Fiber
Purple Luck White Alamo
Kentucky Red American Bad Ass
Midnight Rider


Overview
Boss-Hoss street legal V8 motorcycle

The meanest, nastiest, fastest, and most outrageous motorcycle born out of American steel with a Chevy V8 502cid big block sitting between your legs. You haven't ridden a true red, white, and blue motorcycle made in the USA unless the name etched in the steel says Boss Hoss.
The unmistakable power from these hogs is delivered via a ram air cowl induction cnc designed, machined, and matched for ultimate performance that sits atop the iron horse's heart and center grafted to the feul tank. Allowing the fuel delivery for stronger and denser octane for optimum horsepower. Looking for horsepower then look no further with the two wheeled version reaching in excess of 700 HP and the Low Boy Trike edition exceeding 1600 HP your sure to have enough muscle traveling through America's Greatland... keep riding safe. Drop the base stock equipped Boss Hoss Chevy v8 350 in a car and you have an instant hot rod. Put one in a motorcycle, and you have instant insanity.

For comparison, the 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa, the speed king of mass-produced bikes, has a 79 cubic-inch motor that produces around 160 horsepower good for nearly 190 m.p.h. A run-of-the-mill Harley-Davidson has a 88 cubic-inch motor that makes around 65 HP, enough for 100 to 115 mph on most models. The Boss Hoss power plant dwarfs them combined. If you come across the owner of the Boss Hoss edition that sports the license plate "221 m.p.h." ask him if it's good for it. The owner says "You hold you breath, roll your wrist as far forward as you can and open it up." Along with his words of experience are "At speeds of more than 120 or so, it's hard for most mortals to process sensory information fast enough to ride and react proficiently [so don't try this at home]".


Look what I found.

And it contains loads of info that doesn't jive.

First off....this is NOT the base Hoss. This is a 502cu. Look at the hp. SERIOUSLY worked.

Here are the specs for a STOCK hayabusa from Performance bikes mag:

Top Speed : 190.3 mph
Standing quarter : 9.8 sec @ 147.9 mph
0-60 mph : 2.6 sec
0-100 mph : 5.2 sec
Power : 151.6 bhp
Torque : 94 ft-lbs
Measured wet weight : 252 kg


I understand that conditions differ and there are many outside factors at play. Here's my brief overview.

Hoss 0-60 1.9
Hayabusa 2.6

Hoss 0-100 5.1
Hayabusa 5.3

Hoss quarter 8 flat @140
Hayabusa [email protected] 148?
How is the Hayabusa almost 2 seocnds slower yet 8 mph faster? The Boss Hoss only had to shift once (2 speed)

First off, the hoss track time is hogwash. Secondly...by Boss hoss's posted numbers for thier 670 rearwheel hp motorcycle is being reeled in after 60mph and damn near closes the gap @ 100. After that...it's ALL hayabusa. So literally..after the first 6 seconds of the race. It's over. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A NEAR 700 HP BIKE. The stadard Hoss is 400hp less.

Oh yeah...221 mph topspeed. That's as ridiculous as the 1/4th time. Will is do 221? Notice the ambiguous answer. Another thing...the Hoss is a Two speed and redlines @ 6,000. 221mph?:shake

I like Boss Hosses. I don't consider them "it" for performance
 

·
Moderator,
Joined
·
16,949 Posts
Vandal is correct, the owner of Boss Hoss brought both a 350 and 502 version of his cycles and raced a pretty standard fare ZX-12R and got pretty convincingly beat in ALL races... I don't think they ran from a stop since the owner knew the Hoss couldn't hook up... So they went from a roll, slow rolls, fast rolls... All the same outcome.

So I don't believe those specs for a moment.
 

·
Rule #34
Joined
·
14,508 Posts
I didn't believe them either. I was trying to show that even by the FOS method of thinking used to derive those numbers gave the advantage to the hayabusa.


I have talked to several owners of BH's. Ask them if it's fast. "Hell yeah it's fast" they'll answer. What was your prior bike? "Softail".....hahahahahha. Well no shit-
 

·
Moderator,
Joined
·
16,949 Posts
Scot said:
I didn't believe them either. I was trying to show that even by the FOS method of thinking used to derive those numbers gave the advantage to the hayabusa.


I have talked to several owners of BH's. Ask them if it's fast. "Hell yeah it's fast" they'll answer. What was your prior bike? "Softail".....hahahahahha. Well no shit-
:lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Scot said:
I didn't believe them either. I was trying to show that even by the FOS method of thinking used to derive those numbers gave the advantage to the hayabusa.


I have talked to several owners of BH's. Ask them if it's fast. "Hell yeah it's fast" they'll answer. What was your prior bike? "Softail".....hahahahahha. Well no shit-
:toofunny :lol


*****:confused
 

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
Joined
·
19,663 Posts
ZXLNT said:
The Boss Hoss is an overpriced ugly overweight piece of shit.

The owner of the company got his ass handed to him by a zx12r several times. It wasn't even close. :redflip
but that 12R was 'heavily modified'. It had a full exhaust system.:rolleyes:laughing
the Boss Hoss owner even admitted the 12 was too fast for him.

Since the 12 and hayabusa are so close in performance, a stock bus should be able to take the Hoss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Scot said:


Top Speed 221.0 mph / 355 kph
0 - 30 mph 1.2 seconds
0 - 60 mph 1.9 seconds
0 - 100 mph 5.1 seconds
0 - ¼ mile 8 @ 140 mph
EPA City / Hwy 24/30 mpg
Series

Look what I found.
And it contains loads of info that doesn't jive.

First off....this is NOT the base Hoss. This is a 502cu. Look at the hp. SERIOUSLY worked.


Hoss 0-60 1.9
Hayabusa 2.6

Hoss 0-100 5.1
Hayabusa 5.3

Hoss quarter 8 flat @140
Hayabusa [email protected] 148?
How is the Hayabusa almost 2 seocnds slower yet 8 mph faster? The Boss Hoss only had to shift once (2 speed)


Oh yeah...221 mph topspeed. That's as ridiculous as the 1/4th time. Will is do 221? Notice the ambiguous answer. Another thing...the Hoss is a Two speed and redlines @ 6,000. 221mph?:shake

I like Boss Hosses. I don't consider them "it" for performance
Scot said:




I would have to agree with you on that those numbers they are bullshit. Think about it, If you have a car (with a 502) that weighs 2x the amount of a boss hoss that runs 8s or even 9s- how streetable is it? Its not. The one that passed me had a 502, I took off before him and he passed me like I was standing still when I was WFO and so was he. But that was no where near a single digit run. By the way we were not at a track we were leaving a motorcycle rally. And for the 221 top speed--:laughing that thing is like a ole shoebox 55 compared to a z06 corvette as far as cutting the wind. I would have to see it to believe it.
But this .02 is brought to you by someone who has ridden neither of the two bikes.

Other than that they are pretty fucking cool, not my cup of tea. I could go alot faster for less $$$. I think those Corbin trikes or what ever they are much cooler and would be a better toy.

WWW.Corbin.com/corbinmotors/merlinroadster.shtml

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Scot said:
Make Boss Hoss
Model Stud Hoss
Powertrain Layout Mid Engine / RWD
Base Price $25,500
Dimensions

WheelBase 1981 mm / 78 in
Length 2133 mm / 84 in
Height 1168 mm / 46 in
Width 914 mm / 36 in
Weight 500 kg / 1100 lbs
Seat Height 660 mm / 26 in
Engine

Configuration Liquid-Cooled, V-8
Valvetrain SOHC 4 valves / cylinder
Displacement 8226 cc / 502 cu in
Power 443 kw / 670 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque 627 nm / 502 ft lbs @ 4200 rpm
Bore 113 mm / 4.47 in
Stroke 101 mm / 4.00 in
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
BHP / Liter 85.0 bhp
Redline 6,000 rpm
Carburetion 4-barrel Holley Carburetor
Transmission

Type 2-Speed powerglide auto with reverse
Final Drive -
1st Gear Ratio -
2nd Gear Ratio -
3rd Gear Ratio -
4th Gear Ratio -
5th Gear Ratio -
6th Gear Ratio -
Chassis & Body

Front Suspension Dual Forks
Rear Suspension 2x2 Swing arm polished-chrome
Tire Sizes F 120/70-ZR16
R 230-55-ZR15
Brake Types Cross drilled discs
Brake Size F - mm / - in
R - mm / - in
Available ABS Not Available
Body Material Steel perimeter 1.5 in chrome molly .095
Performance

Top Speed 221.0 mph / 355 kph
0 - 30 mph 1.2 seconds
0 - 60 mph 1.9 seconds
0 - 100 mph 5.1 seconds
0 - ¼ mile 8 @ 140 mph
EPA City / Hwy 24/30 mpg
Series

The Patriot The Bruiser
Boston's Boss Mountain Flame
Black Jack Jersey Runner
Big Blue Carbon Fiber
Purple Luck White Alamo
Kentucky Red American Bad Ass
Midnight Rider


Overview
Boss-Hoss street legal V8 motorcycle

The meanest, nastiest, fastest, and most outrageous motorcycle born out of American steel with a Chevy V8 502cid big block sitting between your legs. You haven't ridden a true red, white, and blue motorcycle made in the USA unless the name etched in the steel says Boss Hoss.
The unmistakable power from these hogs is delivered via a ram air cowl induction cnc designed, machined, and matched for ultimate performance that sits atop the iron horse's heart and center grafted to the feul tank. Allowing the fuel delivery for stronger and denser octane for optimum horsepower. Looking for horsepower then look no further with the two wheeled version reaching in excess of 700 HP and the Low Boy Trike edition exceeding 1600 HP your sure to have enough muscle traveling through America's Greatland... keep riding safe. Drop the base stock equipped Boss Hoss Chevy v8 350 in a car and you have an instant hot rod. Put one in a motorcycle, and you have instant insanity.

For comparison, the 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa, the speed king of mass-produced bikes, has a 79 cubic-inch motor that produces around 160 horsepower good for nearly 190 m.p.h. A run-of-the-mill Harley-Davidson has a 88 cubic-inch motor that makes around 65 HP, enough for 100 to 115 mph on most models. The Boss Hoss power plant dwarfs them combined. If you come across the owner of the Boss Hoss edition that sports the license plate "221 m.p.h." ask him if it's good for it. The owner says "You hold you breath, roll your wrist as far forward as you can and open it up." Along with his words of experience are "At speeds of more than 120 or so, it's hard for most mortals to process sensory information fast enough to ride and react proficiently [so don't try this at home]".


Look what I found.

And it contains loads of info that doesn't jive.

First off....this is NOT the base Hoss. This is a 502cu. Look at the hp. SERIOUSLY worked.

Here are the specs for a STOCK hayabusa from Performance bikes mag:

Top Speed : 190.3 mph
Standing quarter : 9.8 sec @ 147.9 mph
0-60 mph : 2.6 sec
0-100 mph : 5.2 sec
Power : 151.6 bhp
Torque : 94 ft-lbs
Measured wet weight : 252 kg


I understand that conditions differ and there are many outside factors at play. Here's my brief overview.

Hoss 0-60 1.9
Hayabusa 2.6

Hoss 0-100 5.1
Hayabusa 5.3

Hoss quarter 8 flat @140
Hayabusa [email protected] 148?
How is the Hayabusa almost 2 seocnds slower yet 8 mph faster? The Boss Hoss only had to shift once (2 speed)

who audited these numbers? Andersen Consulting???
:D
But I see they have good lawyers... "The meanest, nastiest, <b>fastest</B>, and most outrageous motorcycle <b>born out of American steel</b>"
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top