Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to throw a hitch on my Pathfinder to drag a bike trailer. There's a U-haul right down the street from my house. Am I nuts to trust these guys with this work or have others had any good/bad experiences?

Renting trucks from them has not always been that great of a consumer/customer service experience for me.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
their hitches are pretty good.

What I find hilarious is that they won't rent trailers to people with explorers but will to people with mountaineers and aviators even though they're basically the same :citadel

·
Mad Hawk
5,313 Posts
I have heard good things about U-haul installed hitches...

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PrtclMn001 said:

What I find hilarious is that they won't rent trailers to people with explorers but will to people with mountaineers and aviators even though they're basically the same :citadel
It must be a certain size trailer because they'll rent trailers to people with Hyundais. Do you mean their "bike carrier?"

·
Thanks for having us all these years, Rez. Best o
20,204 Posts
Buy a hitch and put it on yourself....it's quick and easy. I don't believe U-Haul hitches come with frame stiffeners; don't think I'd want one of theirs on my truck. :shrug

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
www.etrailer.com

buy the hitch and the wiring harness from there, install it yourself. It's cake. comes with directions and everytihing...

I have one on my Hyundai Elantra, and I tow a 4 x 6 Tractor Supply Co. Trailer with my hayabusa on it EVERYWHERE

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
Hinesy said:
It must be a certain size trailer because they'll rent trailers to people with Hyundais. Do you mean their "bike carrier?"
all the ones around here say they won't rent any trailers to people with explorers because of the whole "fliping over" thing.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
they did the hitch on the miata, we found a local place for the hitch on the cutlas, we mail ordered the one for the camry.

they're prolly not the cheapest, but they are the most convenient, and w/ a "normal" car like yours it really shouldn't be a prob.

·
I give girls cancer.
7,928 Posts
RACER X said:

they're prolly not the cheapest, but they are the most convenient, and w/ a "normal" car like yours it really shouldn't be a prob.
+1

I have a U-Haul hitch on my car. No problems.

They have a lifetime warranty as well.

·
I am the It in Sh!t
2,934 Posts
shmike said:
+1

I have a U-Haul hitch on my car. No problems.

They have a lifetime warranty as well.
:hi me too

:thumb

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
got on one my infiniti, seems to be fine. the guy there didn't have an easy time doing my wiring so he sent me elsewhere. but i think the fx has really goofball wiring if you don't get the tow kit oem. but my hitch seems to be doing well.

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
Unless your short on time or don't like doing things yourself I would just buy one and install it yourself. I put one on my Olds and it not a big deal.

James

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Hinesy said:
I need to throw a hitch on my Pathfinder to drag a bike trailer. There's a U-haul right down the street from my house. Am I nuts to trust these guys with this work or have others had any good/bad experiences?

Renting trucks from them has not always been that great of a consumer/customer service experience for me.
What U hall?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live right up the street from the one in Allston, on North Beacon street right next to the Pike.

You got connections somewhere?

The one I had issues with locally was Rte 1 Dedham, but I had similar experiences elsewhere in the US with them taking reservations and not have the specified equipment on the day of rental.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We had them do the one for the Santa Fe and had wiring problems from that day on. Our blinkers would short out and so would the brake lights everytime we used it. We took it back to them for repairs and they said it was our fault because "when you put the boat or jetskis in the water you get your trailer too wet" Uh No, we don't tow a boat or jetskis, we tow a motorcycle trailer. After that, they fixed it but it went out the very next time that we used it. We took it back and got the same speech(different guy) and I again re-iterated that we have a MOTORCYCLE TRAILER, we DO NOT OWN OR TOW A BOAT! Finally we just took it to the dealership and had them install an OEM one and got out money back from U-Haul. It could be though that we just have idiots working at our local U-Haul?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Since U-Haul pays crap wages, they probably get they pay for when it comes to shop help.

If you do let them put on one, make sure it's the standard 2" box receiver hitch. U-Haul typically puts on a 1" receiver which only really works with U-Haul trailer gear.

·
Future stunta in training!!
1,667 Posts
I had a U-Haul installed hitch on my Pathfinder for 6 years. I used to haul 2 bikes and gear to the tracks. I never experienced a problem.

thunderex said:
got on one my infiniti, seems to be fine. the guy there didn't have an easy time doing my wiring so he sent me elsewhere. but i think the fx has really goofball wiring if you don't get the tow kit oem. but my hitch seems to be doing well.
I need to get a hitch on my FX and I've thought about going oem to avoid problems. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Hinesy said:
I live right up the street from the one in Allston, on North Beacon street right next to the Pike.

You got connections somewhere?

The one I had issues with locally was Rte 1 Dedham, but I had similar experiences elsewhere in the US with them taking reservations and not have the specified equipment on the day of rental.
The one in Natick on RT 9 is the one that does all of mine over 14. I know them real well. What kind of car??

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2001 Pathfinder, shouldn't need drilling, I'd do it myself but time is of the essence, gotta lug the rig up to BCM for some work the weekend of the 25th.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts