Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tis' the season.
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-->start rant:

As some of you know, I got a ticket at Alki last summer for "improper eye protection". I had my hearing today and my game plan was strong, but I came out Seattle Court 1 - Mike 0:(.

My first attack was the 48hr filing period, but that backfired coz the officer filed it over the weekend, but still within 2 business days.

For my second attack I brought in the RCW law that defines proper eye protection. It says any motorcycle driven vehicle must have a windshield or the driver must be wearing glasses, face shield, blah blah blah. I showed the judge a picture of my bike to show it has a windscreen, and I showed him my helmet to show it too has a face shield. Unfortunately, I wasn't cited under RCW, and was cited under SMC (seattle municipal court). So that backfired on me also:(

I then explained that I have taken the motorcycle safty course, and they said it was ok the have your faceshield up at half way. He told me that was personal reccomadation, but that doesn't change the law. So I explained the circumstances, that I was on Alki strip, in stop-n-go traffic moving at 5mph, I had something in my eye, flipped up my shield quick to rub my eye, and then put it back down.

Now after all this testimony, you'd think the judge would be understandable and dismiss the ticket. NOPE. I was found guilty of the infraction for a total of $101.

haha, even as I was walking one of the officers at the metal dector was talking to me about it and he couldn't believe I got sited for it, and was even more shocked the judge didn't dismiss it.

LESSON LEARNED: I guess always ride with your shield down, unless you want another bullshit ticket.

-->/end rant

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Bummer yeah i always in the summer ride with sun glasses on and shield just for that reason so if it is slow i can pop up the visor and have the air flow but still have the protection ....

·
No longer in Seattle
1,566 Posts
r6rebel said:

LESSON LEARNED: I guess always ride with your shield down, unless you want another bullshit ticket.

-->/end rant
Also that when fighting tickets a lawyer can do a better job although this was a chicken shit infraction. Probably not the dollar ammount you would get a lawyer for unless it was sited as a moving violation.

·
tis' the season.
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: UPDATE: on my ticket

gtaholic said:
Also that when fighting tickets a lawyer can do a better job although this was a chicken shit infraction. Probably not the dollar ammount you would get a lawyer for unless it was sited as a moving violation.
totally. I thought almost for sure I would be able to fight it. The ticket was $101 and a non-moving violation, and hiring a lawyer for $250 wasn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: Re: Re: UPDATE: on my ticket

r6rebel said:
totally. I thought almost for sure I would be able to fight it. The ticket was $101 and a non-moving violation, and hiring a lawyer for $250 wasn't worth it to me.
Dumb question here, but what did you wear to court? My friends dad is a judge in another state and believe it or not, someones appearance actually can either aid or hurt their chances when they are in court. Obviously that wouldn't have made or broke your chances but I'm just curious. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
I got a ticket in edmonds a long time ago for 26 in a 25 and then I get back on my bike and start to roll away with my face mask up (starting out looking over my shoulder both hands on wheel and I get 5 feet slap my face mask down and the cop pulls me over and cites me for no eye protection I hate edmonds cops

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.