Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are 5 US riders and 5 Spanish riders in the championship this year. Spain is no suprise but has there ever at one time been this many Americans in Moto GP or 500?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
In the late '80s there was Rainey, Mamola, Schwantz, and Lawson. Maybe Schoebert, too? I can't find an entry list on google, but that's the most I can recall being in GP at the same time. And I'm not sure they were all there at the same time. :)

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Doung Chandler
Kevin Schwantz
Wayne Rainey
Randy Mamola
Eddie Lawson
John Kocinski

Is the most I can remember together in one season. I'm fairly certain John's first years on 500s were Eddie's time at Cagiva. Doug was either riding Robert's 2nd string bikes, or teamed with Schwantz, or Eddie(they both did time on Cagivas). Randy had a return to 500 in that same time frame on a Budwiser sponsered Yamaha, it didn't go very far.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
MotorToad said:
In the late '80s there was Rainey, Mamola, Schwantz, and Lawson. Maybe Schoebert, too? I can't find an entry list on google, but that's the most I can recall being in GP at the same time. And I'm not sure they were all there at the same time. :)
Bubba's career ended in 1989 at Laguna Seca. So he definatly raced against Rainey, Schwantz and Lawson. I'm still digging to try and find when Mamola was riding. For a guy so involved with MotoGP he sure doesn't have career stats up very many places :D

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
OK, further research(mostly from the AMA Hall of Fame website) provides this for riding careers in 500:
John K 1991-1994
Doug C 1991-1993(atleast, I know he rode for 3 teams in GP, but can't find all the years)
Bubba S 1989(only year)
Randy M 1980-1990, 1992
Wayne R 1988-1993
Kevin S 1989-1995
Eddie L 1983-1992

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so 6 US riders in 1992 then... so 5 this season is no record, but i'm still impressed we have that many when the bulk of the US doesn't even know moto gp exists let alone what it is or have any interest to watch it

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
MotoGP used to be mostly american. In 92 I don't think any other countries were represented as well as the US.

BTW, who are the 5 riders now?
Hayden
KRJR
Hopkins(half breed)
Texas Tomato
????

don't tell me they brough fireball roberts back?:rant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts