Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a streetbike a month or so ago and am looking at getting a cheap used dirtbike to add to the fun, esp. during the winter. I'm looking to spend ~$1000 if possible, what kind of bikes should I look at? I hear dirtbikes don't last as long as streetbikes, what should I be looking at while I'm checking out used dirtbikes (ie, what wears out first)? I have only a vague idea about the differences between MX, trailriding etc, what kinda options are available in around madison, WI and chicago? What gear do I need?

·
Registered
535 Posts
yeah what he said......plus what kinda bike are you looking for......trail riding or flat out motorcrossing

if your trail riding then youd prob wanna look at the dualsport types......the honda xr, or the pe, yammi makes one too.

the motorcrossers like the cr are 2 stroke and have a really narrow powerband

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if I gotta spend more then I will, what price range will get me a decent bike? I'm interested in whatever is available the most, I've found a fair number of MX tracks in my area so I may go that route, but I think I'd be just as interested in trail riding if I can find trails (not gonna be many close to chicago methinks ;))

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
ScottyCoyote said:
the motorcrossers like the cr are 2 stroke and have a really narrow powerband
In case you haven't heard, there's a 4 stroke MX'er revolution. Competitive bikes that are light, have W I D E powerbands, no premix, much less frequent topend rebuilds, run off pump gas, and are fun to ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.