Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used V Star 1100? your opinion

I went down to a small, privater bike lot yesterday. A buddy of mine knows the owner and was gona hook me up on a trade for a dirtbike. I have a 95 YZF with a few mods, some woren body work and 30k miles. They are willing to swap me bike for bike. Anyway, while I was there I noticed a V Star 1100 siting on the lot. It looked a little beat on but nothing too terrible. It's saposably a 2001 model. When I asked what the milage was they weren't sure. When we turned on the bike to check none of the accesorey electrics worked, but it kicked right over and ran fine. It's missing the speedo cable and has a couple scratches and small dents but nothing serious. I noticed some light surface rust on some of the chrome. The rocker shifter was a bit lose as was the brake pedel but nothing dramatic. It's also missing the passenger seat. The dealer did admit to droping it a few days earlier. They said the electrical problem is new and not sure what it is. Still have no idea what the milage is. They are asking $6995 for it. KBB retailes the bike at $7300 with avaerage miles and good condition. I took a look through the recent local cycletrader and found 7 bikes from '01 and '00 that beat the dealers asking price by at least $500. most of witch were very low mile bikes with full dresser accessories. My question to you is...
With the trade of my bike, lets say he wants to give me $2500 for it. What do you think I can knock him down to reasonably? If I walked up with cash in hand and my bike. BTW, Sportbikes are big sellers in this area so he primarily wants to sell those. He seems pretty hard up on my bike too considering he hasn't seen it yet. Thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wow he seems high for what is wrong with the bike. My main worry would be the electrical system. Could be something simple or have to replace part of the harness, who knows. I would offer at least a grand less than what he wants, especially since they don't know mileage or what is wrong with the electrical acc. Maybe 3K and your bike but I would check it out carefully first. If I was at the shop I could give you an idea about what a pass seat and speedo cable would run but that won't be till Tues. Just my opinion. Let us know how it goes.

Just out of curiosity where is the lot. I might be able to help if I know them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a small used bike lot/repair shop out in Tampa. I belive it's off Fleture/Fauller. Somewhere in that area. I wasn't driving so I'm not sure. I don't know the name of the shop but I can get it. I'm gona see if I can get it as is for my bike and $2500. See what happens. Thanks WKD.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Tampa is a little out of my area. I thought maybe somewhere in O-town. Good luck with the offer, let me know what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just my .02

I would too offer a G note less than what he wants. I would insist on a compression test, and run it through the gears to check for $$$ tranny problems. It's good to know how it handles and any carb problems will be obvious under load.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
574 Posts
HEy Scrapyard,
Did you purchase the 1100 Vstar? If you did, hopefully you didn't give the guy any more than $5k tops. It sounds to me like it was left out in the weather and basically thrown around by the dealer.:mad Dropped it?:confused With the damage that you described and the electrical problems, he might be sitting on it for awhile at the price that he was asking. I have a '00 Vstar Classic 650, and love it. I bought it in Sept '99. .3 miles on it when she rolled off the showroom floor into my possession, and it now has 7729. If you did buy it let me know. I have some good websites for Star bikes(accessories and such).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never bought the bike. He didn't want to come down on the price. That was about 6 months ago. Since then the bike was sold. It's alright though. I got a new piece of chopper foder to play with. And I can build it for a lot cheaper then buying a newer bike.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sounds like someone got cheated, glad to hear that it wasn't you. You'll have to keep us updated on your "Chopper foder". Good luck and have fun building.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts