Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
smoothcurvesracing.com/images/Accident20060210.wmv

just put the www in the front..can't post a link here yet (sorry)

Here's a video of my friend Dawn who was on her way home from work on the freeway... the guy in the civic was in the carpool (HOV) lane (with no passenger)...he broke hard to avoid the car in front of him, lost control doing a 360, and goes over a few lanes, she hits the car, and flies over.. she's somewhat okay... this was yesterday (Friday)

She's got 9 lives I tell yah... she wears full gear to work and back ... not jeans and a jacket, but full leathers...

Check out the video...she's one tough rider
I'm just glad she's okay

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
That is amazing! I'm glad she is ok. Just one more good reason to wear your gear no matter what!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
SO glad to hear she's all right.

The stuff of nightmares. I hope, at the very least, the Civic driver was cited.

Something similar happened to a BMW rider here while he was in the carpool lane.

Hopefully posting the film won't affect any insurance company negotiations over it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Watch his front wheels, that was no accident, he was trying some dumbass ricer move that didnt work out the way it works in the movies. Most people, when they slide, will try to do something to at least attempt to recover, he had his wheels hard to right, and kept them there the whole time, that guys wasnt avoiding anything other than smart driving.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Does she always ride everywhere with a camera? Where was it mounted? That was pretty scary and I am glad she is ok. You can tell she was really trying to avoid it but didn't have a chance.

·
SPODE in training
1,745 Posts
My bet is that he was 'ricing' it or not paying attention because he saw a girl on a bike.

That dumbass wasn't paying attention to traffic and when he saw the brake lights in front of him, he ended up locking up his brakes. He was 'ricing' and you can see in the video that he sped up a little bit prior to going 'Oh shit! There's a car in front of me' - What I don't understand is WTF was he thinking locking up his brakes and cranking the wheel hard right?? He had more than enough room to slow down before hitting the white car.

I'm so glad that she's OK! It looks like in the video that she even tried to squeeze in between the 2 cars but didn't have enough room or room to stop. That is so awesome that she wears her gear and the helmet cam (video says a lot) !!

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
:rant I can't see it. I have dial-up! :rant

From what others have said, I'm glad she's okay.

Any chance the film can be used for insurance purposes?!?!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
HurricaneHeather said:
um....is is a really big file? It's saying 16 minutes to download...and I have a very fast computer with a very fast connection...what's up?:confused

It didn't take a long time in my mom's comp... it took a while 'buffering' but I'd say about 3 minutes, more or less?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
:eek What a friggin idiot!!!!:mad What the hell was he doing anyway?

I'm glad she is alright and caught that asshole on video. No way to squirm out of that one.

·
Moderator,
2,475 Posts
wow. that is scary, and so very possible at any time we are out there. I hope this girl comes out okay from this. What great people around her that helped.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow, I'm wishing Dawn all the best and I hope she --and her bike-- feel better soon! Good job on wearing the right gear; I'm sure her leathers saved her a lot of grief.

This video also underscored the desire I've had to take an accident scene management course. There will be one at the AMA conference, and I'm totally signing up.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
:eek What in the hell was that asshole trying to do?! :mad What a dickhead.

I hope she heals up quick! :) Thank goodness for the helmet cam.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i've known Dawn since i first started riding. if there's one thing she is, it's tough. she rides every day to and from work and commutes approximately 40+ miles each way and always wears full leathers. about 2 years ago, she started club racing locally and has seen more than her share of crashes. this is not the first time she's gotten intimate with the pavement. it could be that that's why she's riding with the bullet cam on her helmet now.

heel up soon Dawn

·
Registered
268 Posts
well the video proves she has alot of riding expierence, she seen the guy go out of control and she pointed her bike at her only safe spot. she almost got trough it, just caught the corner.
she is tough. she is a true rider. I wish her the best.

the guy in the car is a total asshole, is that him on the video, saying something like "I swerved I swerved" well we all know he caused this collision.

now about the people helping her, how good is that, many kind people there, I never thought the camera automatically finds the cleavage, I am sure dawn didnt look at that womans chest, at least not at a time like that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
here's the thread link to the SoCal site

http://www.socalsportbikes.info/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=34948&page=1

i thought Vytisha was on here too? :confused maybe i'm just remembering her from SBN days.

either way, she says she was wearing the camera for 2 reasons.................1: as a control rider for track days, she was trying to fine tune the setup for instructional purposes and 2: knew that it could be valuable should anything go wrong.......

this vid is wildly making the rounds and plenty of folks are making asshat assumptions based solely on the vid and knowledge that she's female.............those of you who know her better can also attest, but she's a great racer/instructor/commuter with over 200K logged miles.

only minor injuries, but i still hope she heals quickly and takes the civic driver for everything he's worth given the fact that he LIED to the CHP and tried to blame it all on her. :mad

·
Registered
637 Posts
btw, two of the women who stopped were RN's and one of the CHP officers was insisting that Dawn move out of the road even though both nurses strongly advised against it. :shake

1 - 20 of 31 Posts