Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warrior and YZF426 package deal - help me out

I've been thinking about buying a quad for myself after riding a buddies Warrior a few weeks ago. There are some good trails within about 3-4 miles of my house so I just have to find a way to get to them.

Anway....a lady I work with is selling her husbands 1999 Warrior and 2002 YZF426 as a package deal....I thought about buying them both and then selling the 426. Hell....I'm half afraid I will really like the 426 and want to keep them both.

Anyway they bought the Warrior used and its supposedly in good shape....hasnt been ridden in 6 months or so though. and the front bumper is cracked --where her husband hit a stump, flew over the handlebars, broke his neck, and died :eh

The 426 was bought new last fall and has been ridden maybe 10 times [and same not in past 6 months deal].

1. Whats this worth?
2. How difficult can I expect it to be the sell the 426?
3. and what can I expect to get for it [426]?
4. and I guess.....would you buy a quad someone killed themself on?

TIA :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
WELL, I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE 426 REALLY. I HAD A WARRIOR FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS AND I LOVED IT! BUT THE NEW YAMAHA 450 CAME OUT AND I FELL HARD FOR THAT ONE. I RIDE ON THE TRACK, SO THE WARRIOR WASN'T THE BEST MACHINE FOR ME.
I WOULD PROBABLY BUY A QUAD KNOWING SOMEONE WAS KILLED.. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. JUST BE SAFE( AND AVOID ANY AND ALL STUMPS..LOL) AND WEAR THE RIGHT GEAR..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just got home from her house. The 426 is in awesome shape but its a motherfuvker to start. [I've never owned a kick start before....there has got to be some trick] The back fender is tweaked a bit to one side, but other than that I found nothing wrong with it.

The Warrior was in fair to good shape. The front bumper is completely toast and it actually ripped the frame lugs it bolts to partially off the frame. I have a buddy that can TIG weld and think he can fix them. I'll probably replace the bumper with a new one...but thats only $100 or so. It also has a White Bros pipe on it.

Other than that they both just need some TLC.

So like.....what do you guys think???

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
yamahagurl450 said:
WELL, I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE 426 REALLY. I HAD A WARRIOR FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS AND I LOVED IT! BUT THE NEW YAMAHA 450 CAME OUT AND I FELL HARD FOR THAT ONE. I RIDE ON THE TRACK, SO THE WARRIOR WASN'T THE BEST MACHINE FOR ME.
I WOULD PROBABLY BUY A QUAD KNOWING SOMEONE WAS KILLED.. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. JUST BE SAFE( AND AVOID ANY AND ALL STUMPS..LOL) AND WEAR THE RIGHT GEAR..
:p

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
426s are fast/powerful w/a pretty harsh power hit from those i've talked to that owned them. I've heard they make awesome motards too :D

you could probably get 3k+ for that 426 if it's in good shape...there is a trick to starting them, that's for sure.

I suggest asking this on www.thumpertalk.com in the yz426 forum as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yep, definitely a finely tuned skill required to start the 426. My bud has one, and he seems to be able to start it no problem. just takes getting used to I guess. If you drop it, it is a bear to start. I love the 2 strokes...loop it out, pick it up, kick a couple times and it starts right up. The new four strokes are awesome bikes though (wr, yz, and ktm. from what I hear the DRZ is sub par)

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
14,005 Posts
Reyndogg said:
426s are fast/powerful w/a pretty harsh power hit from those i've talked to that owned them. I've heard they make awesome motards too :D

you could probably get 3k+ for that 426 if it's in good shape...there is a trick to starting them, that's for sure.

I suggest asking this on www.thumpertalk.com in the yz426 forum as well.
Oddly enough, I had this discussion with a guy today that has owned a YZ400F, YZ426F, CRF450, YZ250F and now pimps a YZ450F. He said the 426 is very powerful but very smooth...almost as smooth as his CRF was. Also said it was a bit more rowdy than his 400 and he equates it to riding a 250F on roids. I've only ridden the YZ400F and YZ426F on trails. The 426, to me, seemed very user friendly, aside from the whole magic start routine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, she wants $4k for the pair.....seems like a steal to me. From what I have been able to gather the 426 is worth between $3.5k - $4.2k. good deal???

·
I miss my daggone stars
12,002 Posts
Go down Piedmont past the cemetery....go to the end of the road down by the all the trailers. At the bottom of the hill a trail goes off into the woods on the right. Take that trail and make every right till the trail leads into the creek and under 311 thru the tunnel. Come out and to the left go up the hill and follow the trail till you come to the back of landmark construction on ridgewood rd.

Take their gravel drive out to Ridegwood and cross over to the gravel road that goes behinde the big grey warehouse...should be chained off but go around and to the end of the little gravel road overlooking the last lot back there.....Small transformer hut..go around it and follow the trails. You'll come out at the sewer right of way. follow it and take the RIGHT when it "T"'s follow the path till you come to 40. Take the path parrallel to 40 till you come to the road that crosses 40 then you have to hit pavement and cross 40 on the bridge and them immediatly take the road to the left into the industrial park. Dodge over into the dirt and hit the trails and BOOM you're there at the playground (40-311 split)

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I had a 426 and hated it.

- PITA to start
- VERY fast, but had a vicious hit that was hard to control, esp. since I was much less skilled at the time
- oil changes required removing the header, and took well over an hr. :(
- felt top heavy

Squidward, in no way would I compare the 426 to either a CRF450 or a 250F on steoids. It was a bad, mean beast of a bike best suited for more experienced/fit riders IMO.

No way you're gonna get $3500-$4200 for it...they're kind of considered dated vs. the current 450's. My CRF450 is easier to ride and work on, more fun, and less fatiguing - IMO, a HUGE improvement over the 426F.

Still sounds like a good deal, though!

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
14,005 Posts
Chris S said:
I had a 426 and hated it.

- PITA to start
- VERY fast, but had a vicious hit that was hard to control, esp. since I was much less skilled at the time
- oil changes required removing the header, and took well over an hr. :(
- felt top heavy

Squidward, in no way would I compare the 426 to either a CRF450 or a 250F on steoids. It was a bad, mean beast of a bike best suited for more experienced/fit riders IMO.

No way you're gonna get $3500-$4200 for it...they're kind of considered dated vs. the current 450's. My CRF450 is easier to ride and work on, more fun, and less fatiguing - IMO, a HUGE improvement over the 426F.

Still sounds like a good deal, though!
Rode both the YZ450F and the 250 F on the track yesterday....the 450 is a much harder hitting bike than the 426 was....but the 426 was still much harsher than a 250F....don't have adequate playtime on a CRF450 to make that comparo, but I agree that a 426 could be intimidating, but I find it much more controllable and easy to ride than my KX....the top heaviness was noted...feels more like it falls in than gets leaned.

BTW, average selling price for a clean 2002 426 in stock form runs about $3800 here....some people want a 4-stroke but just aren't willing to cough up the change for a newer better 450.:shrug

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input - I told her today I would take them. I appreciate the pluses and minuses...am still not certain if I will be keeping the 426 or not. I guess time will tell. I am definitely planning on riding it some though :D [and I cant wait]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CasterTroy said:
Go down Piedmont past the cemetery....go to the end of the road down by the all the trailers. At the bottom of the hill a trail goes off into the woods on the right. Take that trail and make every right till the trail leads into the creek and under 311 thru the tunnel. Come out and to the left go up the hill and follow the trail till you come to the back of landmark construction on ridgewood rd.

Take their gravel drive out to Ridegwood and cross over to the gravel road that goes behinde the big grey warehouse...should be chained off but go around and to the end of the little gravel road overlooking the last lot back there.....Small transformer hut..go around it and follow the trails. You'll come out at the sewer right of way. follow it and take the RIGHT when it "T"'s follow the path till you come to 40. Take the path parrallel to 40 till you come to the road that crosses 40 then you have to hit pavement and cross 40 on the bridge and them immediatly take the road to the left into the industrial park. Dodge over into the dirt and hit the trails and BOOM you're there at the playground (40-311 split)

Troy-
I heard that area was being policed hard and riding was frowned upon. I used ot see trucks/trailers out there in the 311 curve all the time, but not in 9 months or more....

I have ridden the area you are tralking about though - just not all the way to the merge. We didnt go down Piedmont, but went in thru the new development off union cross a little ways away at the high tension lines. The tunnel under 311 are pretty damn cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts