Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Moderator,
17,102 Posts
I think the "coke dissolves teeh, nails, steaks, etc" garbage was started by teachers who wanted kids to stop drinking so much coke, back in the seventies and eighties, when they realized kids were getting fatter and more high strung, and it was still ok to lie to us.

Teacher: this'll teach the little bastids. (removes steak from bowl, grills it that night, places meatless bone in the coke the following morning...)

fat, hyper kids: I'll never drink coke again!

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
I used to drink a lot of Pepsi before. I mean a LOT. I stoped 2 years ago and I cant see why I did. I drink nothing but water now and it's great:thumb

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Drinking soft drinks every now and then isn't bad for ya at all. BUT, it isn't good for you either. The weekends are my "splurging" time, and I always have a few cokes. But I also make SURE that I get the very minimum 64oz of water thru the day too. I can easily tell when I haven't had enough water. I just plain feel like crap and I just want to sleep and lounge around the house. At the same time, I'll bet ALOT of you would start loosing weight if you'd replace water with whatever else you drink thru the day ;) :thumb

And a glass of OJ might be high in carbs, but it's still pretty good for you. At that, the sugars in OJ are fructose, not sucrose like coke. So the claim might be true that a glass of OJ has just as many calories as a glass of coke. HOWEVER, the coke will still pack on the pounds faster. Why? Because sucrose is VERY high on the GI (glycemic index). That means it absorbs into your body very quickly. What isn't used is stored as fat. Fructose is more in the middle of the chart, so it doesn't absorb as fast. That means it gives your body a better chance at burning the calories off. :D

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I am a former manager of a water purifaction equipment business. While there I have learned quite a bit of info on water among other things. I'm going to give some further info that has not been mentioned in this topic.

First of all let's talk about water shall we? It is agreed that water is good for you. The only probelm is not all water is. I have been testing bottled and tap water for some time now. My experience has proved to me that tap water in most of the USA should not be consumed. The first thing you should know about is "Trichloromethanes", or "THM's" as they are commonly referred to. You see Chlorine is the cheapest form of disenfectant that money can buy. While it works wonders in killing most bacteria, there is a downside to it. "THM's" are a product of chlorine and and orgaincs mixing togeather. Orgaincs are twigs,leaves, rotting vegetation and so on. When these two come togeather an oderless and scentless gas called THM's are formed. THM's are catagorized as a carcinogen wich means it causes cancer among other things. Just to let you know THM's are suspected to be the one of the leading causes of rectal and bladder cancer in humans. It is also belived that THM's are responsible for miscarriges in women. There is a multi million class action lawsuit taking place in Virginia on that right now.

If you want to stay THM free there are a few options for you. For consumption, any bottled water will be THM free. If you must drink it out of the tap then here's what you do to eliminate it. Remember that THM's are a gas. Fill up a pitcher of water and let it sit for 2 hours with the top off so it can breath. THM's are a gas and will disipate from the water in this time. You can now drink your tap water THM free! :D

Uh oh, THM's are still haunting you! You thought drinking it was bad? Well your not going to like this at all. Every time you turn on your tap water, run the dishwasher, take a shower, do the laundry, wash your car, etc., you are exposing yourself to THM's. Remember it's a gas and will rise into the air. Breathing THM's are 6 times worse than consuming them. All this time you thought you were safe in your own home.:eek Now I'm sure you would like to know or at least verify that I am not bullshitting you right? Okay no problem, I'm here to help. Go to your local Home Depot or pool store and buy a chlorine test kit for a swimming pool. Read the instructions, follow them and then test your tap water. If your results show up at .5PPM or higer, Sorry but your fucked.:( Wanna know how to fix it? If you do then let me know.

Now on to other wonders of water. I think it was stated that coke along with other soda's are in the 2.0 PH range. Now 2.0 is very acidic and will do tons of damage to lot's of stuff. What you need to realize is this. The PH scale runs from 1-14. 1 being the most acidic and 14 being the most alkyline. Now 7.0 on the PH scale is nuetral. 7.0 is the center of a PH scale, Lower than 7.0 is acidic and higher than 7.0 is alkyline. Make sense to you? If so read on, If not then your on the internet and can surely find more info on it. Well you would think that drinking an acidic beverage would eat our stomach up right? Well did you know as humans we are naturally acidic? The PH of a human being is in the 5.0-5.5 range. Now if your water's PH was at 5.0-5.5 and you had copper pipes, They would be destroyed within 6-7 years. Labratory studies by universities have proved that. I'm not saying that soda's wont effect you or your internals in the long run, but the stories people put out there about it eating up everything don't show the other side.

Oh geez now you guys are really going to hate me. Ever heard of Cryptospirridium or Gauirda Lambia? Sounds like a bad horror movie right? Well these are 2 types of Bateria that Chlorine has no effect on. There have been several ongoing occasions in public water (And well water) where these nasty bastards have shown up. They won't kill an average healthy adult, But they will make you sick. If your elderly, very young, weak immune system, or an animal, this can kill you. You ever heard of, or had a boiled water advisory? If you did these 2 types of bacteria were the culprit of them. You still craving for a glass of tap water? How about bottled water? LMFAO!!! Don't worry peeps, just keep reading.

Now these small waterbourne items I have mentioned only scratch the surface of whats floating around in microscopic form in your water supply. Another item I will tell you about is minerals. Now most people think minerals are good for you. Well in all honesty they are, if it's in an organic state. What I am talking about is iron, calcium, magnesium, and so on. These are only good for you if they are in an organic state. When you eat foods you are getting minerals in an organic state. When you drink water you are getting them in another way. Most every water supply contains minerals in the water, only they are from inorganic properites such as rocks. As a human you can't digest inorganic materials. It is in no way possible to do so. The minerals in your water are compared to swallowing a rock. You cannot digest a rock. So where do all these minerals go when you drink water? Ever heard of a kidney stone? Yup that's right, your kidney has no way to remove inorganic minerals. Sorry to be the grim reaper here.

How about that bottled water? Shit bottled water is way better than tap water right? Uh sorry that's not the case 99% of the time. I have tested most bottled water on the market. It contains everything short of THM's. It does add a bonus sometimes though. You see when the bottles themsleves are manufactured, They are shipped to the water supplier without a cap in the back of a 18 wheeler. What happens in some occasions is that airbourne bacteria gets into the bottles before the water is added. Isn't that a bitch? To make it worse, It get's very hot in an enclosed trailer and bacteria thrives on warmth. Bateria grows and multiplies at a rapid pace in a warm enviromemt. Think aobut that when you pop the top on that water you just paid $1 for.

I guess you want the solution now right? Ya I figured that much. If your going to drink bottled water then I reccomend only 2 brands. Aquafina wich is manufactured by Pepsi is nothin more that the purest water you can buy. They use a process of filtration called "reverse osmosis" which is the best form of drinking water filtration known to man. The latter of my reccomendations is Dasini which is made by Coca-Cola. The only downside to this is that minerals are left in the water. On the bottle they claim it is for the flavor. My opinion is that they do not want to pay for "Reverse Osmosis" filtration. In any event don't go outside of these brands.

What about fixing your tap water? How can I rid my entire house of THM's? Well there's a few ways to do this. A quality drinking water filtration system is a great idea. Reverse Osmosis is the Best, and Carbon block filtration systems fall in right behind them. For your entire home, there are "Whole House Filtration Systems" available. Your needs will depend on your specific water quality and your water should be tested by a professional before you decide to make a purchase. The Home Depot and Sears brands are merely a feeble attempt in fixing your water situation. If you are going to buy some type of water filtration then use a reputable and professional company that specializes in water filtration. Do not give yourself a false sense of security by running to Home Depot and getting one of their "General Purpose" filters. The prices will differ greatly from the local home store and a professional water treatment company, but you will only get what you pay for. If you need further help on this let me know.;)

That about sums it up for this edition of "Water Quality 101" I have spoken with tousands of people about water quality and allot of questions arrise. Feel free to ask and I will answer them for you.

Razor.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
This coming from a guy whose job it was to make you fear your tap water...:rolleyes

·
Stress Relief 101
13,580 Posts
I don't like pop so thats fine.

Razor I love water and now your wrecked it for me. Please don't say nothing about milk, oj or lemonaid or I'll have nothing else to drink.

James

P.S. Hmm. More toys for the bike or R.O system for my house. :confused Damn you Razor. :redflip

James

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
CitizenTony said:
Never tried in Coke but it works in Viniger.
Hmm, maybe I'm confused, but I since I hate the smell of vinegar I'll stick with Coke until I remember otherwise. Any acid should do the trick.

The pH of normal human blood is around 7.4 which is basic, iirc. The stomach and other organs may be acidic. :confused

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
What about Brita Water Filters? I use one and it SEEMS to work good.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
EpyonXero said:
This coming from a guy whose job it was to make you fear your tap water...:rolleyes
No not in the slightest. After spending countless hours with EPA, Water Quality Assn., and general water tech seminars I have a treatment system in my own home. Knowlege is the hey here. Don't take my word for it, do some research on your own. You will thank yourself in the longrun.;)

Razor.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Flexin said:
I don't like pop so thats fine.

Razor I love water and now your wrecked it for me. Please don't say nothing about milk, oj or lemonaid or I'll have nothing else to drink.

James

P.S. Hmm. More toys for the bike or R.O system for my house. :confused Damn you Razor. :redflip

James
Sorry bro, just keeping it real for the CF peeps.;)

Razor.

·
Stress Relief 101
13,580 Posts
akatherazor4 said:
Sorry bro, just keeping it real for the CF peeps.;)

Razor.
I know. :D Thanks for the info.

James

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
redrider2k2 said:
What about Brita Water Filters? I use one and it SEEMS to work good.
Well Brita sells allot of units. While they help slightly, They don't cut the mustard. Brita filters consist of Granulated carbon as the filtration method. There are many different grades of carbon and Hysulex carbon is the best and most efficiant. Brita does not use that grade due to cost. Brita filters use a loose granulated form of low quality carbon. I do not recall the the claimed efficiancy of a Brita fliter, But it's not that great.

Carbon flitration mainly serves the purpose of removing "THM's". This is true in a loose granulated carbon filtration method such as the Brita filter. Carbon acts basically like a sponge and it's job is to absorb things. As I said before you can eliminate "THM's" by allowing tap water to sit in an open pitcher for 2 hours. You can prove that to yourself by buying a chlorine test kit and checking for yourself. I never expect anyone to take my word on anything if they don't know me.;)

In order to eliminate Bacteria you need a compressed "Carbon block filter" of high qualtiy to do so. Anything that can trap particluate matter in the .5 micron range or less is what you want. I don't mean to speak in terms otside of the layman, but if you aren't familiar with the size of a micron then please look it up. I'm way too lazy to track the info down for you and I don't have a good comparison for you at this time. Anyway it is also a good idea that the carbon block filter is "Nickel plated" or "Imbedded with nickel". The reason for this is that nickel prevents the growth of bacteria. If there is no Nickel mixed in with the carbon then you basically have created a new home for the bacteria to grow and multiply.

Brita filters don't remove minerals either, The only way to remove them is with an "Ion Exchange" Basically Ion exchange works like this. Imagine the small filtration beads ("Ion Exhange Beads") having a positive magnetic effect, Now imagine the minerals in your water having a negative magnetic effect. What happens is that the minerals attach themsleves to the Ion Exchange beads, thus trapping them and not allowing them to pass through. Thats the only way to elimate this and Brita doesn't have it. Most whole house and drinking water reverse osmosis systems have this technology.

The best choice when it comes to drinking water is to purchase a QUALITY reverse osmosis system. These are hands down the Ferrari of drinking water filtration. Again the Home Depot units are not what I am speaking of. You need one from a reptuable manufacter who has tested your water quality first. There are different grades and sizes of R.O. systems. You need something that fits your specific needs, No more, No less.;) You wouldn't buy clothes that didin't fit, Why buy a water filtration system in that manner?

In my opinion someone who owns a Brita is at least intelligent enough to realize that a problem exsists in their water supply. Most of the time they are not aware that it's not doing the job that they think, or expect it too do. So I commend you on wanting to make a difference in your water quality. I only hope my experience helps you along to the path of great water.

Lastly I want ot bring this up to you. Almost every public water supply adds Flouride to the water. Some people like this idea and some don't. Here's the basics. Flouride in moderate and controlled amounts strengthen the bone structure in your body (Your teeth are made of bone). You can also overdose on Flouride. Any amount greater than .002 exceeds the EPA's limits. Most water supplies exceed this smount on several occasions throughout the year. The downside to excessive amounts of flouride are as follows. Too much flouride causes bones to be brittle and can be a leading factor in osteoporosis, that's what make old people hunch their backs over. Now imagine that if you are a meat eater, all the meat you eat (Cows and the like) drink the same water you do. you not only eat their floride infested meat, but you also have flouride in your toothpaste and your drinking water. It's amazing isn't it?

Razor.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Homeslice said:
All I can suggest is that you test your own Brita pitcher and proivde us with the results. I know I have tested at least 500 of them.;) I have nothing to gain by sharing this knowlege with you other than knowing I have attempted to make a difference in your life. You may also take note of the disclaimer on that Brita website in question, see the qutoe below.:D

Certified to Reduce These Impurities.1
Razor.:confused

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Homeslice said:
Most people don't even use any filter at all, and you don't see them dying off at a quicker rate than filter users, do you? :shrug Show me one scientific study comparing the death/disease rates of filter users to non-filter users.
I've heard that response many times before along with "Everything Causes cancer these days". All I can tell you is that you need to do research for yourself. I'm not here to convince you what your water qality is. I'm only stating facts backed by scientists, medical professionals, the EPA, water treatment industry, and my personal experience. Get on a search engine and start learning. I would never expect anyone to take my word for it if they don't know me.

Razor.;)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Geeze....Soft drinks contain sugars, carbohydraytes, sodium and h2o. SOME do contain caffein.

The worst parts of drinking it are caffein, carbs and sodium.

As far as "tap" water is conserned, it all depends on wher you live.

Sure, if your sole hydration is soda or "pop" (for your northerners)....it is bad for you. But in moderation, it ain bad.

I will say an ice cold glass of filtered water is great for you, it'll burn callories and keep you hydrated. That is the best for you.

BUT a coke once in a while is not bad. I am looking at the nutrition facts on a bottle of caffeine free Diet Coke, it has 0 calories....0 total fat, 30 mg of sodium, 0 grams of carbs, and 0 grams of protein. :rolleyes

·
MotoGP World Champion
21,790 Posts
akatherazor4 said:
You may also take note of the disclaimer on that Brita website in question, see the qutoe below.:D

Certified to Reduce These Impurities.1
And here is the footnote to that quote:

1The contaminants or other substances removed or reduced by this water treatment device are not necessarily in all users' water.

:shrug I don't see anything wrong with that. All it's saying is that those contaminants are not in everyone's water.

I think I'll go along with their statement that it is certified to reduce those contaminants listed. Even though the word "reduce" might be open for debate, at least they reduce it by SOME amount, unlike the zero reduction that you claimed when you said that Brita filters "do not" reduce minerals.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts