Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to waterproof leather? I know that it won't be as waterproof as goretex or the equivalent, but would regular leather waterproofing stuff (like the kinda I got from wilson's for my regular leather jacket) keep me dry if I get caught in a brief downpour, or if I want to take a ride in light rain?

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
I would think it would make you leather water resistant/not water proof. Should be fine for what you are looking for. If you try it let me know how it works.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
As long as it wouldn't discolor the leather any of them should be OK. But, it's not the best thing for the leathers health. Waterproofing/resistant will close up it's pores probably shorting it's life.

·
STONERISTIC
4,001 Posts
I have been waterproofing my leather for years and it helps repel water and actually keeps the leather clean. Just make sure you stay away from products for patent leather. Im not to familiar with the poors of leather I know its a factor for gortex membrane because the poors let out moisture but im not to sure that leather has the same concept. Like my Combat boots I have been polishing and water proofing them for my entire 11 years in the Army and they are still truckin. But my Winter gortex boots cannot be polished because it hurts the gortex membrane's ability to release moisture. Just my 2 cents.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
The people at Vanson told me when I picked my suit up that waterproofing products are equivelant to snake oil. Leather is somewhat waterproof and there is nothing you can do about anything more than that. :shrug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts