Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just decide to say..to hell with it...I wants me a new R6...I got the credit to do it..don't got the money....but gots the credit...went over last weekend and sat on the 50th anniv. ed. yellow/white/black r6...couldn't believe how wonderfully lite it was...:drool

So I said to myself yesterday....tomorrows the day...I'm goin back and gettin it! First I deluded myself into thinking I could make it out the door $700 below MSRP...nope:crackup Then I thought...eh...it'll still be there...nope :crackup...and if it's not there...i can get the blue one...nope :crackup...

I went to interstate cycles over the summer to see what they could do on the 05 R6 and they said...out the door 7699...and of course my credit flopped that time...this time I ask him for the same deal expecting to get it...right...nope...$10.5k out the door this time..

I did find something interesting though...apparently they have a standard r6 and the special edition...(different exhaust packages, etc)...what caught me off guard was he said the standard r6 makes about 110 rwhp and the se will make about 121 rwhp...any truth to that? I haven't heard of any r6 models making anywhere near 121 stock?:confused

Anyways...I've decided that apparently God doesn't want me to have an r6...:(

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Lever said:
I did find something interesting though...apparently they have a standard r6 and the special edition...(different exhaust packages, etc)...what caught me off guard was he said the standard r6 makes about 110 rwhp and the se will make about 121 rwhp...any truth to that? I haven't heard of any r6 models making anywhere near 121 stock?:confused
The 2006 model isn't even making 121.:shake Unless they are using a crack head dyno.:D

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
10.5 out the door. OUCH.

I just had their sales guy on the phone, they seem pretty willing to wheel and deal. :shrug

·
The Henry Hill of the underground KTM Mafia
4,695 Posts
Sig of course they are willing to deal over the phone, thats just to get ya to the stealership and then they suddenly forget how easy going they were on the phone!:shake

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know someone who got a blue one out the door for 9800.00 . I may have a deal on a black one for alot less than that , if I can scrap the $ together LOL

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went there last year towards the mid/end of the summer riding season and got a $7699 out the door quote...of course i couldn't swing it credit wise :( I'll bet if you wait till mid'late summer, they'll let them go below msrp

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
BKR1 said:
I know someone who got a blue one out the door for 9800.00 . I may have a deal on a black one for alot less than that , if I can scrap the $ together LOL
How about you tell me where. :toothy

I stopped by team powersports today in garner....they wanted 10k. :rant

·
Registered
332 Posts
They dont deal to much , I have purchased my last 2 dirt and street bikes from them though . Thier service and parts dept. are tops . What color (s) did they have ?

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I read somewhere that they were going out the door at $9200 in some places.:shrug I don't think it was here in NC though.:(

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
BKR1 said:
They dont deal to much , I have purchased my last 2 dirt and street bikes from them though . Thier service and parts dept. are tops . What color (s) did they have ?
Awesome shop, good people. :thumb

They had just sold a yellow.....had a black on the way.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't get it

For $2000-$3000 you could buy a used YZF600R, GSXR600, F3, ZX6R, etc etc etc.

Most of the older models are easier to insure and are more comfy for the type of riding you'll be using it for anyhow. Who cares if it makes a few less horsepower at 12,000 rpm's anyway? You can't use it on the street, and even on the track on the new $10,000 sportbike, a better rider will hand your *** to you on a 10 year old GSXR that he got for $2400....:rolleyes

Not meant to sound like I'm bashing, but I have never understood this "I gotta have the latest greatist, coolest, meanest, etc" argument, considering 99% of these bikes NEVER do anything other than street riding (and often times slow street riding in the city) :shake

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
mine will probably never see the street, nor will it see insurance except for theft.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine may never see the street either . my r1 rarely does but will more than the Six . This will be my first 600 :toast

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
To tell you the truth a SV650 would probably be more then anyone would ever need on the street.:shrug

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
Sig your close enough, theres a dealer in Sanford that used to have pretty decent deals. Might want to check them out. They are right on Hwy 87 @ the split to go towards Ft. Bragg they are on the right. Sanford Honda is the name, cant remember if they deal in Yamaha or not. I know they have Suzuki.

Team Powersports has a Fayetteville location alooked on the website, they dont carry yamaha. But these guys do, and they always were known for the lowest prices in the area.

Yamaha of Lumberton
1-910-738-1454

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I'll definately give each of them a call. :thumb

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
The motorcycle world was awed when Yamaha announced that its radical new YZF-R6 sportbike had a 17,500-rpm redline, getting near to the lofty rev limits of Formula 1 high technology.

Well, it turns out that a streetbike engine revving to 17.5K is still nothing more than a dream. Independent dyno testing has revealed the R6's rev limiter kicks in shortly after hitting 16,000 rpm.

In response, Yamaha has announced its error in that its tachometer reads about 9% too high, showing 17,500 on the tach but not in actuality.

The following is a release on Yamaha's website:

"Yamaha introduced and marketed the new 2006 YZF-R6 motorcycle with a red line limit of 17,500 rpm, as indicated on the tachometer. After testing production units, we have determined that the actual red line limit is approximately 16,000 rpm, resulting in a tachometer error of roughly 9%. This has no affect whatsoever on the performance of the motorcycle."

While the R6's performance remains, there may be some buyers who bought an R6 in part because of its racy redline. For those people, Yamaha has sent out letters to all R6 purchasers offering to buy back their bikes (plus interest) if they are dissatisfied.

"We decided we'd better do the right thing and step up and put our money where our mouth is," explained Yamaha Motor Corp's press relations manager Brad Banister.

The R6 buy-back follows a similar precedent set in the car world when Mazda offered to buy 2004 RX-8s from owners once the claimed 247 hp of the manual transmission version was found to actually measure at 238 ponies. Automatics were downgraded 10 hp to 197. The difference here is that Mazda was forced to make this offer, while Yamaha is doing it voluntarily.

"It's an unprecedented thing in the industry," Banister added, "and it shows how committed Yamaha is to customer satisfaction."

In fact, this over-clocking of factory tachometers has been going on for some time. Yamaha's previous R6 was claimed to rev until 15,500 rpm, but our dyno testing proved that it hits its redline prior to 15K.

And this isn't uncommon in the world of sportbikes. Last year's Kawasaki ZX-6RR claimed a 16,500-rpm redline but revved to less than 16K when we put it on the dyno.

Yamaha hasn't publicly announced the reason behind the tachometer discrepancy, with Banister explaining that the cause is yet to be determined. He added that Yamaha doesn't expect to be flooded with R6 buyers trading in their new bikes.

"The R6 is exactly what we said it was - the most awesome, the most technologically advanced 600 ever built."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2988&Page=1

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
It's pretty asinine to really worry about how high the redline is, IMO - what real difference does it make other than a point of curiosity? :shrug

If course, it's even more asinine to calibrate the tach to indicate falsly & tout it as a marketing gimmick. :down

1 - 20 of 32 Posts