Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll admit I've been an off/on nail biter for a long time.
A couple weeks ago I had fake nails put on for hubby's company Christmas party. Low and behold when I took them off, I actually had nails! :laughing

Anyway, I've got some polish on them and want to keep them looking nice. I don't wanna have yucky looking hands anymore.

Any suggestions for nail polish, cuticle care, etc.??? I need help ladies, please!!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Get some "Hard As Hoof". It's awesome stuff. Working in a restaurant type setting, I wash my hands a million times a day. I got this stuff before my brother's wedding to help my nails grow and regain strength. When the wedding came around about 2.5 weeks later my nails were strong and growing nicely :) Granted, my nails do pretty oK by themselves... but with so much hand washing... *sigh*. I was putting it on at least 3x a day (outta the shower, mid morning, lunch, mid afternoon, at home after work, after dinner/dishes, bedtime :laughing). Got it at walmart... less than $5 for a jar... lasts forEVER!

PS - it's like a real thick cream lookin stuff... kinda hard to describe. not soft/pliable like lotion in a jar, but not HARD. You put a real thin layer on, and it helps your cuticles too! Can be used over nail polish as well ;)

·
Forum Leader,
18,928 Posts
Get regular manicures and take a file with you so when you get a jaged edge on your nail you can fix it. I am a big nail biter so I just get acrylics put on and leave it that way.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
1fastchick said:
Get regular manicures and take a file with you so when you get a jaged edge on your nail you can fix it. I am a big nail biter so I just get acrylics put on and leave it that way.
+1

I go the acrylics route as well. My nails don't grow as it is so I kinda have to. I also keep them rather short because of riding and doing a lot of typing.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
would be nice to get regular/periodic manicures... but some people don't have the time/money to do so... hence my previous post ;)

I had acrylics once.... they tore my nails up... took forEVER for them to get back to normal. never ever ever again. Note: nothing wrong with the rest of you girlies out there having them... that is strictly MY opinion of them on MY nails. I like the look of 'em... but they don't work for my nails.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
RE: manicures

Grrl said:
would be nice to get regular/periodic manicures... but some people don't have the time/money to do so... hence my previous post
+1
However, I found going once in a while really helps. You pick up "tips" watching them for self-care at home. I try to get a professional manicure once every three months.

Another option is the beauty schools, they need the near-graduation students to get practice. Cost less than a salon manicure.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Natural nails here. Keep 'em sporty short, but manicured. I posted a while back that my Joe Rocket Speedmaster gloves seem to chew them up. So I use a hard as nails type coat over them before riding. Seems to be helping alot.

I'd like to grow them longer, but they interfer with typing etc. And its hard to keep 'em all the same length when longer.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
i let my nails grow until one breaks then i cut them all off to the same length and start over. I used to get manucures before doing the rest. biz, but that wasn't worth it, and now that i'm a poor student I don't bother. :shrug Now it's just au natural. ;)

I did the acrilic nails too for a long time but I got tired of going in and dropping $20 every two weeks and spending an hour in there....plus i never thought them grinding my nail bed down was a good thing so...

BUT, if you do go to a nail shop, make sure they sterilize their equipment OR they assign you your own equipment. A news channel did an expose on nail shops around here and you can get nasty things like hep b and such from the dirty places. :shake For example, here in houston, the only place to go is the two Tulip nails places--one on westheimer (i think, never been to that one) and one in Rice Village.

·
Forum Leader,
18,928 Posts
I agree about getting regular manicures are expensive but like mentioned above the tips you pick up will let ya do it yourself. If I had the skill to be left handed I could do my own acrylics but I don't have those skills hehe. Hard as Hoof if you can't find it at the regular stores check out "Sally's" Or another beauty supplies outlets. ;)

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I do alot of typing and also wear contacts, so having 'em long is pretty much out of the question.
The thing that bothers me is that I can't find a decent polish that doesn't wear off the tips after a day of typing at work. I recall getting tired of polishing my nails every night, so then they start looking yucky at the ends, then I start picking at them and next thing I know I'm biting 'em again. :rant
I'm definitely going to look for the Hard as Hoof stuff, and check around for the costs of manicures. I heard that once you start doing acrylics, you gotta keep doing it and sometimes $$$ can be an issue.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
f4girl said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I do alot of typing and also wear contacts, so having 'em long is pretty much out of the question.
The thing that bothers me is that I can't find a decent polish that doesn't wear off the tips after a day of typing at work. I recall getting tired of polishing my nails every night, so then they start looking yucky at the ends,
As for the tips of the nails polished, paint the tips first then let it dry and then paint your nails as normal. Should minimize the chipping.

Nails are about the only healthy aspect on my body. I am not fond of long nails but mine grow rapidly and absolutely rock hard. But if they break its agony, skin rippage. I have heard that nutrition/vitamins/gelatin make a huge difference in nail growth and strength. I prefer shorter nails, less danger:p

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
I had acrylics for YEARS... and after breaking one pretty badly had them taken off. I now do the 'hard as nails' type of treatment every morning. Seems to work. Also, keeping a nail file ready and available if need be :thumb good idea!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have used some fake nails by Nailene from Walmart, kmart wherever and they are French manicure. I have got so many compliments on them it's unbelievable. They only cost about 5 bucks for 20 nails with the glue!!! I don't have to worry about fungus or anything else with them. One falls off, I just glue it right back. :redflip I wear them off and on. Right now not wearing them, have colored polish on for the holidays. But I just have better things to do with my time then paint my nails or go get them done that's why I use them. Plus my female friends that pay so much for their nails at a salon get pissed when I get more compliments on my nails than they do when we go out. From men and women!!! :nanana

Wish I had a pic to show you guys. I will have to search for one and post it up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
<<< lifelong fingernail and cuticle biter here.

When I quit smoking, I decided to use the money for manicures instead. Have discovered that as long as I go every two weeks, my nails grow like crazy and it's easy to keep 'em looking nice. My manicurist takes about 20 minutes, start to finish. I keep them a little shorter during the summer.

The downside to acrylics/fiberglass/etc. is that they don't allow the nail to "breathe", and if your nail tech isn't meticulous, you could end up with a nasty fungal infection. Also, they will leave your natural nails thin and weaker over time.

I've found NailTique to work very well for strengthening... the key is in regular use.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
:laughing My hands are completely destroyed. Scars from compound fractures and surgeries, and I work in a motorcycle shop, so they're frequently greasy or stained... I just try to keep my nails short and clean. It's about the best I can hope for.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, thanks girlies! :D

3 questions....
Where will I find "Hard as Hoof" at? In the area where nail stuff is at?
Where do they sell "NailTique" at? Like Wal-Mart?
How much should a manicure cost (approx.)?

·
Forum Leader,
18,928 Posts
Hard as hoof- Walmart I think carries it and usually you can find it in the lotion section, or near the shampoos I have seen it. Try CVS or walgreens also.

Dunno about the other

Manicures shouldbe around 12-20 bucks tops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.