Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the one thing that the MSF taught you that you remember the most?

Me? Countersteering. Push in the direction you want to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're in a turn and think you're in too hot; lean harder, give it gas and trust the bike to make the turn. Oh yeah, and don't stare at the guardrail while you're contemplating asphalt sledding :draggin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember that one too. :D

We had a few guys here who crashed doing that. From behind, they still had a ways to go before scraping anything, but weren't used to leaning in a turn.

Personally, I start freaking out when I think of what kind of forces act on my tires. he he he

I don't know if it follows the forces of an airplane, but if it does, that means that at a 45-degree lean, we'd be putting 2 g's worth of forces on our tires. Dont wanna think about 60-degree lean (30 from ground)! :eek

·
CF's Official Bookie and Trivia God
9,070 Posts
I remember my friend getting kicked out for "being a lost cause" who did noting wrong at all yet a girl who crashed the bike 4 times pass

Peace Out

·
Registered
716 Posts
ReyndoggRSV said:
slow, look, lean, roll :D

its been 11 years :confused
Ha old man... It's time to go back for a refresher course:redflip

Ditto on looking through the turn to where you want to end up, not where you're at.

·
Moderator,
2,475 Posts
I remember the insturctor telling us to look into rear view mirrors for any kind of eye movement.... damn that has saved my butt several times :eek

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yamahagirl said:
I remember the insturctor telling us to look into rear view mirrors for any kind of eye movement.... damn that has saved my butt several times :eek
For got about that one. Saved mine as well! :D

...Funny.... how you don't realize how much you really do until someone tells you!

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you're turning and need to stop, bring bike to an upright position before applying brakes. :D :D

·
1,480 Posts
Slow look lean roll

Countersteering (always did it, just never realized it).

Going wide? Push harder, and look where you want to go.

Don't brake and turn.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
On the street, keep your eyes moving using the SIPDE method:

S - Search for possible hazards
I - Identify the hazards
P - Predict how the hazard will affect you
D - Decide you escape route
E - Execute your plan...

This alone will save your ass in traffic..... :thumb

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Look through your turn was the most important for me. Even small little turns around those cones....I always looks down not through the turn. :D Sometimes I still do that but then I think of the class and pull my eyes up right before the turn comes up. :D

·
Fryin' Bacon Nekkid
974 Posts
"Look where you want to go"

I say that was the best single piece of advice one could give a new motorcyclist.

Oh yeah:

"Keep your head up"

It works well outside of the bedroom, too.

:toothy

·
Registered
469 Posts
My instructor had a method that he called 'panic monkey'. Panic monkey is squeezing the front brake and clutch, while downshifting, and applying the rear brake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts