Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weirdo snake-handling kinda thing?
Or ...
Just a less common way for certain people (mostly penecostals, but even less charismatic types) to worship/get into the spirit?

No kids gloves here, this aint Jabberwocky.

My personal opinion? Ive seen people do it, but never experienced it personally. Its kinda weird, but the people who do experience feel its a deep spiritual experience.

I think snake handling is dumb myself...its something that brings great personal risk for no reward, spiritual or otherwise.

·
Ladies love fatbuck's Cupcakes
17,553 Posts
My experience with those folks is that there are definite screws loose.
Personality issues or mental difficiencies usually crop up the longer you speak to them.

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have personal friends that speak in tongues?

Whats the data set your working with?

I've known personally (as friends) two people who have spoke in tongues before. One definitely has screws loose, the other definitely has not.

·
17,553 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
Do you have personal friends that speak in tongues?

Whats the data set your working with?

I've known personally (as friends) two people who have spoke in tongues before. One definitely has screws loose, the other definitely has not.
Like I said...personal experiences

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just of out of curiosity, since you think beleiving in God is bogus, why bother trying to argue on a subject that is mutually exclusive to your position?

·
17,553 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
Just of out of curiosity, since you think beleiving in God is bogus, why bother trying to argue on a subject that is mutually exclusive to your position?
Your assumptions limit you Steel...

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pauldun170 said:
Your assumptions limit you Steel...
dont make me dug up old PM's on discussions we've had

:redflip

·
17,553 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
dont make me dug up old PM's on discussions we've had

:redflip

The fact that we've had this room to ourselves most of today and that you hoard PM's from me will lead people to suspect something.

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that you have secret erotic dreams of indian bobble heads going "dude!"

·
17,553 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
Yes, that you have secret erotic dreams of indian bobble heads going "dude!"

I'm so glad that group left my office space....damn conference calls blasting on speaker phone....

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have had a couple friends who claimed to be able to speak in tongues. none of them had "screws loose." i personally do not believe in it as it takes the emphasis of worship off of God and onto themselves. it was also originally used to prophesy to others in a different language so that they could understand the message. there is no need for that today, therefore the "gift" of speaking in tongues is unnecessary.

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, im glad we cleared that up!
ill go tell the people I know that their speaking in tongues isn't necessary.

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dillpicklz said:
just thot id throw in my opinion. didnt really want the sarcasm. thx
no kids gloves in here. besides, your post alluded that it wasn't an opinion but a fact.

You said "as it takes the emphasis of worship off of God and onto themselves."

really? who are you to decide how everyone should whorship God in their own unique way? how does someone speaking tongues differ from someone praying out loud, or singing along with the music?

·
Registered
25 Posts
no it was my opinion that it takes the emphasis off of God. im srry if i made it seem like i thot it was fact. and as i previously said i had personal experiences with it, my friends said they didnt really know what they were saying. well, if they dont know what they are saying, how could they be worshipping God?

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
because whats in the heart is what matters, not the words coming out of your mouth.

I can sit down and pray, and speak in absoulte gibberish, God still knows what I am feeling/thinking

He doesn't need babelfish.altavista.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
well what is the point of speaking in tongues? there is no point in speaking if u can just sit there and let God listen to your heart

·
Registered
13 Posts
When in doubt, go to Scrpture. I Cor. 14:22- Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that beliieve not; but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which beliieve. Speaking in tongues is just one of the gifts given by the Holy Spirit and doesn't hold any more importance than the other gifts, see
ICor. Chapter 12. Also, I Cor. 14:27 -If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two. or at the most by three, and that be course; and let one interpret.
The Holy Spirit gives each born again person a gift; it's up to us to find out what it is and use it for His glory.

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dillpicklz said:
well what is the point of speaking in tongues? there is no point in speaking if u can just sit there and let God listen to your heart
whats the point if singing, or praying out loud? everyone communes with God in their own way. Just because you dont see value in it does not mean its inappropriate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts