Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as of last week I was preparing to move to Pennsylvania in June to pursue an aviation career, but two days ago I went to my grandmother's in Oklahoma, to spend the new year, and it turns out I might have the opportunity to move to Kansas City very soon--hopefully. It turns out that my aunt, who dated this man 32 years ago in high school, came back to their(my grandma and aunts) hometown in oklahoma after her recent divorce (where they dated in High school) of 10,000 people and got a job working as a waitress at the local truck stop. Well, this guy she dated in high school got divorced as well this past summer, called up the local paper in this town my grandma/aunt live in, and placed an ad in the paper asking one of them (my aunt or grandmother) to call him if either person read the article as he wanted to catch up on old times.Anyway, my grandmother reads the article, calls my aunt, tells her about it, the man drives all the way from KC to see her, they date for 6 weeks, get married and now the man says he owes it all to my grandmother and owes her BIG!

Well, my grandmother tells me on tuesday that he owns one of the largest train manufacturing companies in KC and told me to call my new uncle up, remindl him who I was, and ask him if he has any positions open for me to possibly go to work for him. She says he has about 200 employees, and that he "owes her one"(those were his words and told her to never hesitate to ask for anything), and to give him a call as she says he would offer me a position in a heartbeat.

Well, im a little relunctant to call, but wouldnt mind moving to KC at all---think I shoud make the call? Or would you think I should have my grandmother call my aunt and test the waters first about the possible job with his company? Is KC a decent place to live? Any KC peeps in here?:D Just wanted everyone's thoughts on whether I should make the call and hope he remembers me from the one time we met, have my grandmother call first to test the waters about the idea of me working for his company or just let it go and not use my new uncle as a means of gaining employment. What you think--pursue the lead or not?:D I want to, but want to get a few other opinions about it just to make sure its cool to do.......

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
KC's pretty cool, but you would have to deal with me being close by. And Bashnir lives there so you would have to dress up like a woman to keep him away :redflip

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Kc is a cool place to live. It's really green in the summer. It looks alot like the south east. (I lived in Georgia a few years, and it looks just like it.) The winter is relatively mild. Even though it's cold for 3 months or so, there are warm days mixed in. It was 60ish today. We dont get much snow at all. It snows maybe 4 or 5 times a winter. There are lots of things to do. There is a clubbing area downtown, called Westport. We have the Chiefs, Royals, T-bones(AAA ball), and the Kansas Motor Speedway(Nascar, and Indy). In Topeka(30 minutes away), there is Heartland Park. AMA used to race there. They still have several track days a year there. Prid. runs his Star School there annually. There are tons of pretty girls. Oak Park Mall is like walking through a modeling agency.

As for the train thing. Burlington Northern/Santa Fe hubs out of Kansas City. There are thousands of railroad workers here. The rail head is huge. Alot of coal is transported in and out of the area too. I think you'd like it here. :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Northeast Kansas isnt flat and farmy. It is the starting point to the Ozarks. It is relatively hilly, except in the river bottoms. :)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Well...

N.B. I worked full-time in Overland Park for a few months, and didn't particularly care for it. I'm glad that my company picked up and moved -- I wish it was to Austin, TX, but it turned out to be Burlington, VT.

On the opportunity - take it, and see where it leads you. If you're hesitant to cold-call him, ask your grandmother to place a "... my grandson is considering moving to the area, but wants to find a good job. Would you take a look at his resume and see if you might have a good fit for him?... " sort of call. If he has something that might be a fit and has his HR Department call you, go out for an interview and and check out the area for yourself -- especially where you'd be working and "living". Remember, if the opportunity isn't right, you can always say 'no thank you' to an offer, and continue onward.

KC is a very large metropolitan area -- are you asking about KC, MO or KC, KS or one of the outlying burbs attached to either (e.g. Overland Park, Leawood, Olathe, Lee's Summit, etc.)?

I think that most of the rail related activity is either north of the "City Center" or due West of the same. The traffic sucks, but it's a fairly well defined "rush hour".

Cost of living can be high depending on where you choose to rent, but the rest of it normal.

If you go visit the area, and happen to be in the Overland Park / Leawood area, check on a bar/restaurant called Nick & Jakes. :D

Oh, yeah, two more detail. (1) Most of the area is AS FLAT AS A SHEET OF PLYWOOD! (2) STAY WELL CLEAR of the LEAWOOD DIVORCED WOMEN - They're likey carrying more "baggage" (emotional and otherwise) than a fully loaded 777 going non-stop from LA to Tokyo. :shake :redflip

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
There is a resturaunt called "Kansas City BBQ" here, in dowtown San Diego.

Damn good BBQ there....it is also where the scene in "Top Gun" was filmed where "Maverick" and "Goose" were singing "Great Balls of Fire" on the Piano.

Never been to KC, but if the BBQ is half as good as that place :drool :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
There's two kinds of BBQ here, vinegar based, and malasis(sp?) based. I like the vinegar based sauces. Im not big on sweet BBQ

If you think Southeast Kansas is flat,,,, you obviously didnt see western Kansas. :laughing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts