Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine:
-Swerve left and right, find those 'blank' spots between cars.

-Try to avoid those lane-bumps when slowing down suddenly.

-Know your cars! Big trucks and SUVs have higher (obviously) places side mirrors. Sedans and sports cars have (obviously) lower than bike side mirrors.

-Always, always, after having a good idea of the immediate surrounding, keep a look out in front.

-Chain reactions is your friend, the red lights upahead signals the people going 50 mph around you are going to start swerving into empty spaces, which are most likely around you.

-When going from one lane to another, watch out for other motorcyclists!!!

These are only my observations gathered from my own daily Los Angeles freeway experiences. By no means am I giving advice, please feel free to share your own strategies on lane splitting.

Thanks!

P.S: Mine are all in traffic, no highspeed stuff. :squid

·
serenity now
6,055 Posts
mine?

-dont split lanes. you never know when the jackass in front of you is going to decide to change lanes as you attempt to split between them.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
it's very rare i split lanes.. and if u need to worry about the height of mirrors - i'd say you're cutting it a bit too close..

·
Registered
139 Posts
ninja_steve said:
mine?

-dont split lanes. you never know when the jackass in front of you is going to decide to change lanes as you attempt to split between them.
+1

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
cover the clutch and brakes for sure... fold mirrors in when lane splitting in NYC... try not to lose your friends who are following you... keep bike in low gear so there is power when you need it... and basically whatever you said lol

·
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden sto
1,920 Posts
ninja_steve said:
mine?

Yeah, especially in New York. Too many dumb ass, half educated soccer moms flying around in escalades, also theres just a lot of spiteful people who will probably run your ass off the road out of jealousy and anger that your getting through traffic faster than them... its also illegal... but I'm not perfect citizen as far as traffic laws are concerned on the bike, I just dont lane split, rather wait a minute or two longer to get where I am and half a much smaller chance of going through insurance claims and messing up my bike again. I can see if your in heavy traffic in LA or something, but on the Island here its not quite that bad yet.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
rockstar84 said:
Yeah, especially in New York. Too many dumb ass, half educated soccer moms flying around in escalades, also theres just a lot of spiteful people who will probably run your ass off the road out of jealousy and anger that your getting through traffic faster than them... its also illegal... but I'm not perfect citizen as far as traffic laws are concerned on the bike, I just dont lane split, rather wait a minute or two longer to get where I am and half a much smaller chance of going through insurance claims and messing up my bike again. I can see if your in heavy traffic in LA or something, but on the Island here its not quite that bad yet.
Try the belt pkwy down by the airport at rush hour on an 80+ degree day in gear. I only will do it in those situations and on roads/areas I know. I see these jackasses doing it on the crossbronx which is a trip to the ER waiting to happen between all the trucks and the crumy pavement.

Tom

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Go slow, cover brakes and clutch, and watch the driver's heads out of the corner of your eye for any indication that they might change lanes in front of you.

All you griping about how dangerous it is--passing stopped cars is really of zero danger. Like I said the last time I brought this up, people in the rest of the country seem to have a different view of "traffic" than we do. Traffic here means cars are STOPPED, the rest of the country people seem to think cars moving 35mph is traffic. It took me 40 minutes to go one mile in my cage last night; the whole trip was 2 hours. That's 17 miles.

Edit: and it IS legal here.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Mine is not to split lanes, but my advice is to be prepared to kick the ass of the fucking idiot who, 1) isn't paying attention, or 2) thinks it would be funny to open his car door, that is of course provided you and your bike aren't in the car with said fucking idiot.

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
Wow. I'm surprised so many of you think it's dangerous. I guess the first few times I did it I was somewhat freaked out, but those days are long gone.

I take it slow, keep the bike quiet so as to not wake up the sleeping drivers, make sure I'm aware of potential cross traffic or pedestrians.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
The thing here is people will try to shoehorn their cars into another lane to get 10 feet ahead of where they were:rolleyes and will do that without warning so thats what I usualy watchout for more than anything else.

Tom

·
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden sto
1,920 Posts
True tommy, but out here in Suffolk I'm barely ever passing any cars that aren't moving... I mean I wouldn't really chose to go out riding and get stuck in that kind of traffic so unless it was on a way home from a trip upstate or something I can't really say I have the chance to lane split much.

Also true that its not really too dangerous passing stopped cars, until one of the assholes in an old f 150 opens the door right infront of you out of spite.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
all this talk about people opening doors.. i have never seen it happen myself but I have seen people shut their doors and let you pass.... that stupid rumor is just what people use to scare people from lane splitting. most people dont have the balls to open a door!

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
rockstar84 said:
True tommy, but out here in Suffolk I'm barely ever passing any cars that aren't moving... I mean I wouldn't really chose to go out riding and get stuck in that kind of traffic so unless it was on a way home from a trip upstate or something I can't really say I have the chance to lane split much.

Also true that its not really too dangerous passing stopped cars, until one of the assholes in an old f 150 opens the door right infront of you out of spite.
True, out your way traffic isnt as bad as itis in nassau/queens/brooklyn. I do use the futura to commute so I know if I work certain shifts and its just too hot I take the car instead. Plus theres the odd upstate run where we hit an accident or rush hour traffic on the way up or back home, but I usualy try to plan our times to avoid that.

Tom

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
AV8OR said:
go really really fast......
+1 and on one wheel whenever you can. :laughing

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cagers opening doors - To me that's a sitcom feature. Unless someone really wants to hurt you or change drivers or a bear got in the car (they can always flip you off, which they might, or squeeze the car right/left as to not let you pass to take out their aggression).

All the not lane splitting - ah... that is not so possible in L.A. It isn't about getting 10 ft. ahead. This is like you valeted your bike 30 mile in to a parking lot and you have to get it out.
My commute to work/fro is about 30 miles one way. Getting out of work, the traffic jam begins RIGHT out of the parking lot to the end of the freeway near my home! :shake

The bikers I see squeeze through these tiny spots with their big 1100's with the lunch box strapped in back. Wow! All while maintaining a good speed. :clap

I know there's the 'stay safe' rule, but as I mentioned with the traffic there is no option but to do it unless I take a helicopter. In other countries it's actually all normal for bikes to go through traffic zigzagging, infact that's what the bike is for.

:giddy motorcycle talk always gets me all excited to ride!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts