Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

What kind of dog did we buy?

675 views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Smitty 
#1 ·
A couple of months ago we went puppy shopping.I wanted something good with kids and one that would make a great companion for my hubby and myself.After weeks of checking ads and visits to the animal shelters I came across an ad for Boston Terrior pups.I called the lady and she said they were not registered and she was letting them go for $100.00.My best friend has a Boston and I always loved that dog so I made a bee line to her house.When I got there I noticed the pups didnt look like the ones Ive seen before.She reassuered me that they do come in brindle and some have a longer snout and dont have the bug eyes.Well as my puppy has gotten older he looks less and less like a Boston and more like a pitbull.The mother and father where black and white but their features looked like my puppy.Anyone got any idea what kind of dog Ive introduced to my family?By the way he does seem to have an aggressive nature to him.We are working on that with him.:rant

#3 ·
hmmm....loks like a mixed breed to me.... probably werent;' registered cause the parents weren't both AKC and not even the same breeed?

I know one lady was selling a unplanned litter of labs AKC but with no papers and the price was only 500$ vs 700$ for papers..

did you see the parents?
check AKC for more info maybe?

#4 ·
well, it does have the same coloring as ours... so I bet one of the dogs was a boston, but I'm lookin' at the shape of the face and that is not a boston face. Their noses are flat and their heads are fatter.

It almost looks like a pit mix. Puppies go thru an age when they try to figure out where they "fit in" in the family. You need to establish dominance, and that's why training is important. Pits are good dogs if they are raised right, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just teach him manners and it looks like you'll have a great dog on your hands. :thumb

#5 ·
Here's a pic of our AKC bostons... the male is on the left, He's the grandson of a national champion... so he's a better "show" of how the breed should look. Millie is definitely the more feminine side of the bostons she's pretty dainty.

#12 ·
+1 on the boxer face

I would guess boxer/pit mix

boxers aren't aggresive at all, and pits can be aggresive, but if raised right alot of people swear by them.
If you don't feel comfortable give him to someone who will, your family safety should be your first concern.;)

#13 ·
Hes a good dog, runs around like he's on cocaine if he isnt sleeping. He is extremly aggresive for a young dog though. Where most puppies shy away from strangers and dont bark or act protective until they are older. He started acting this way by 2 months old:clap

BTW according to the woman when we went to get him, both parents were on site, and a few other Bostons. About 5 of them if I remember correctly. They were all a fair bit larger than most bostons weve seen since:confused

#15 ·
:laughing named him Tyson

I thought he looked like our last boxer and he bites................all the time!

He has calmed down a lot since we got him towards the family. We are going to keep him, just trying to get a better idea of what possible temperment he might have.

#20 ·
karl_1052 said:
not natuarlly. they are really passive unless trained to be aggressive.
+1

Mine is the sweetest dog you could ever meet. She never barks unless you play with her pretty rough.

She sits in your lap like a cat.

She's typically more curious about other animals and people and never is on guard.

I think you could train them to be aggressive but I've never met one that is.

#23 ·
I had two Dachsunds in college. Man could those dogs drink. :laughing

I loved them to death. They both slept with me every night. I had to give them to a friend because of my landlord. :(

Their names were Oscar and Myra. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.