Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being the holiday season, we are hosting many dinner parties at our house. On all the invitations, I list the menu for that evening. I do this because, there are certian times when I've gone to other people's dinner parties and the food was :barf

I have this thing about ham.......... I HATE the stuff!!!! At one dinner, it was ham with okra :barf.

BUT.... I was a polite guest and I ate it. Not a lot of it (I had eaten before I went ;) ;) , not really, but that got me out of having to eat a lot!)

So........ are you a polite guest; eat what's served in front of you?

·
One Of God's Own Prototypes
8,300 Posts
I try to do the best I can. If the food is just downright disgusting Ill just try and get small portions, and shortly after eating proclaim that I'm stuffed. There's no telling how long it took a host to make the meal they prepared so I always want to seem gracious.

·
Friend of sinners
3,714 Posts
This was drilled into me as a kid, largely because my parents were missionaries and we didn't want to offend "the natives" (for lack of a better word) by not liking their food.

Generally, though, I don't have to be "polite" because in most cases, I have developed a very broad palate and I'm often the only person at the table that actually likes what's been served. :laughing We had a guy visiting from India, and he brough these odd, sesame cookies---no one else liked 'em. My wife and I finished 'em off!

There is, of course, the polite hostess, who asks if any of her guests have any allergies or aversions---and I will gratefully acknowledge my total dislike for celery and any combination of tomato and egg.

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
I try to be polite and at least try something that I don't like. But often I just end up not eating very much. I'm a picky eater and it comes with the territory. But if anything is said about it I bring the jokes out at my own expense and always point out how picky I am.

·
Beati pacifici
3,067 Posts
The key to eating something BAD is taking smallish portions and eating it quickly.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I've perfected the "wash down". It's better if there is a beverage other than water (lemonade is perfect). Take a bite, grab a swallow of liquid and wash it down almost whole. Bad for digestion, good for social situations where you just can't say "I don't eat that ". :laughing

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[jacking my own thread]

Nice to see you, thundercat! ;)

[/jacking over]

·
The Bible Thumper
1,797 Posts
I am the pickiest human being I know when it comes to food. I'd rather just politely pass on the food than make a scene. :laughing People understand...

In Him,
Matt

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm a wicked guest....

Comes from having parents who traveled and lived in various places...

Their moto was "you have to at least try it"...

And that's what we had to do as kids - as such, I've eaten things I wish I never had - but didn't know any better until after the fact....

I do however have one food I cant really stand - I'll get sick with the smell...

Cooked liver, rather, any organ meat like kidney, liver, etc....

No mushy blood filter organs....

Gimmie the hottest pepper you can find... But no chicken liver please

KIRSTY!!

·
Banned
11,983 Posts
If it's something I'm certain I won't like, liver (or any internal organ meat as Kirsty said), escargot, oysters, anything involving beets, as examples, then no, I won't eat it. If I'm not sure, I'll try a little bit.

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
There's also the "not too hungry" line (true if the food makes you lose your appetite).

Or the, "I'm full" line.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Onions, by God you better not make anything with onions in it for me. I get sick almost instantly if I smell them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used to be the good guest, I would eat some of everything. As of the last few years I have developed a couple of food alergies that make it difficult. Most of my friends and family know about them though and are understanding.

·
Beati pacifici
3,067 Posts
No onions? That pretty much rules out almost all Latin (italy, latin america, etc.) food.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Well, I could eat them if that person wants to see me get really sick.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Man, why's everyone hating on chicken livers? Breaded and sauteed w/ gravy and rice on the side. I guess I shouldn't throw any dinner parties unless it's a cookout.

·
Moderator,
17,102 Posts
"Oh I wish I could enjoy a piece of stuffed ham with you, but pork just doesn't agree with me. It looks yummy though."

"Ohhh, Yams with, what? What is that? Raisins and marshmallows. I might have to try a little of that... *dammit*"

The trick is, pick the most horrific dish, and be allergic in some vague way to that. The problem with the vague allergy is it pretty much commits you to have a nibble of the damned Waldorf Salad and other unholy concoctions involving mayonnaise and other things that Do Not Belong in Mayonnaise.

I'm serously thinking about skipping the party circuit this year. bleah. bad food.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts