Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am re-doing a lot of stuff on my bike and and am in the process of ordering a lot of the parts. I have my manuel for my 1991 kawasaki zx-6 and it says that the chain is 110 links long, what does that translate to, for instance, a DID chain. Also, what sprocket would work with that chain (or a chain) to give me a little more torque on the low end but a little less on the top end (+).

Thanks,

Grant

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
It translates to a chain that is, um, 110 links long. Whether it's a DID or a different brand.

If you want to alter the torque delivery you can select a rear sprocket that has a few more teeth than the stock sprocket, and if you really wanna alter it, also get a front sprocket that has one or two teeth fewer than the stock front sprocket.

If you do this, buy a chain that is NOT cut to length, and instead get one that's full length, typically 120 links. When you assemble the sprockets and chain onto the bike, use a chain tool, fit the chain up, then cut the chain to the correct length.

If there is a way to calculate how many links the new chain requires when changing sprocket sizes I haven't heard of it; I've just seen people buy them long, and cut them to fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts