Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

What's that stuff called?

924 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  karl_996 
#1 ·
A neighbor of mine has an old kawaski stand-up jet ski, and it's running rather poorly. We've come to the conclusion that there's to a lack of compression in the front cylinder due to a mild case of blow-by. I seem to remember there being a product that is used to help seal the rings and cylinder. But can't remember what it's called...or even if I'm thinking of the right application for the stuff I can't even remember....hrmmmm....Can anyone help me out?

Otherwise we'll have to go with oversized rings or worse yet a bore-out job and pistons and rings. He just wnts to get it running for cheap so we can ride it a few times and then sell it.

#2 ·
the only thing I can think of that would swell piston rings is Tranny fluid...
I wouldnt pour that in there...

#3 ·
Well these rings are metal, so I dont think they would swell. I seem to remember there was some sort of liquid or gel you could put in/on/around the piston that would help form a seal between the piston and cylinder wall/sleeve.:confused

#4 ·
Oh we have pulled the heads off. The rear piston is solid, but there is some slight movement in the front cylinder.
I'm just trying to think of a cheap temporary fix.

I wan't going to pour anything into the carb....the stuff I'm thinking of, I think you just pour it into the cylinder and let it sit.

#5 ·
cappy said:
Oh we have pulled the heads off. The rear piston is solid, but there is some slight movement in the front cylinder.
I'm just trying to think of a cheap temporary fix.

I wan't going to pour anything into the carb....the stuff I'm thinking of, I think you just pour it into the cylinder and let it sit.
the cheapest fix is to hone the cyclinder and throw in another set of rings.
you could probably fo it for less than $50.

#7 ·
fuel and what not is escaping around the piston...
the piston isn't big enough to seal against the wall of the cylinder...
so stuff just goes around it...
at least I think...

#8 ·
ziadel said:
fuel and what not is escaping around the piston...
the piston isn't big enough to seal against the wall of the cylinder...
so stuff just goes around it...
at least I think...
basically you are correct, but it is more sttributable to ring and cylinder wear.
do it right, or do it all.;)

#9 ·
Yeah, we'll probably have to get it done right. I guess we'll start lookin' for a machine shop. I don't know if the Kawi dealer would do a bore job but if they do it'll be an arm and a leg there.

karl, $50US might get the job done in CANADA, but I think it'll probably be a bit more than that down here. If he does go that route, he might as well do both cylinders. And $50 is LITERALLY 50% of the cost of the jet ski:laughing It's an old ass one, I think it's around '86-'87..it's a 550cc.

espresso. Am I totally off my rocker? AM I thinking of something used to swell oil-rings in four strokes? Please tell me I'm not a total Lune.

afog05 Blo-by is where soe of the ignited...or unignited charge "blows-by" the piston(around the edges) and into the crankcase.

#11 ·
Yeah wait a minute...oil rings are metal in 4strokes too what was I thinkin?:shake

Anyway, he only paid $100 for the ski, he had to drag it out of some old dudes garage and dump all the bad fuel and clean the carbs. When I first saw it I was like WTF? cause the fuel cell has been replace with a ordinary(3gal?) palstic fuel can. He's had it for about 3-4 months and has ridden it quite a bit, but performance started going downhill recently until it no longer pulls.I'll talk with him tomorrow about it. I doubt he'll spend the cash for a complete engine, but he'll probably spring for a bore-out and new rings.
espresso, what would you estimate the cost to be for a bore out for two cylinders, and a new set of rings? Is karls guess of $50 or less right? That would be cool if it is.

#12 ·
Dustyn19 said:
cappy, are you thinking of that stuff called Engine Restore? I think it's the stuff that is suppose to fill the minor scratches in the cylinder walls to improve compression. I doubt it actually works though.

Dustyn
Yeah I think that might be it. Where have you seen it and how much did it cost?
I think the problem might be beyond the capability of that stuff though? But if's cheap($9.99 or so?) we might give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.