Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
EGYPT
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GUYS I'VE BEEN popping some nice wheelies on my 98 ninja 500r, but i'm popping them in first gear, some peeps are telling me that i can ride the wheelie alot easier in second....you think thats possible, and what would be the easiest way of doing it! another thing, every time i pull a good wheelie, i get a little freaked out and try to put my foot down, i start thinking that i'm going too far back! is that just fear kicking in!:confused

·
Registered
119 Posts
RUFF_RYDA307 said:
GUYS I'VE BEEN popping some nice wheelies on my 98 ninja 500r, but i'm popping them in first gear, some peeps are telling me that i can ride the wheelie alot easier in second....you think thats possible, and what would be the easiest way of doing it! another thing, every time i pull a good wheelie, i get a little freaked out and try to put my foot down, i start thinking that i'm going too far back! is that just fear kicking in!:confused
although some wheelie wizards might disagree, Im pretty sure that bike will ONLY come up in 1st, therefore you'll have to shift..
and when you say you're putting your foot down.. do you mean putting it on the brake or what? cause if you're trying to put it down on the ground thats pretty dangerous..

-matt *6

·
Registered
104 Posts
You have to pop it in first and power to second. Otherwise, I don't see it coiming up. (but I've been wrong before..many times too) Have you tried bouncing it at all? Again, I can only imagine it in first. If you get it up in first and power to second you'll go alot further and you may be able to get third if your at your balance point and not rev'd too high. Then you're rollin. Then again, and I pretty much suck, you can ride a wheelie in any gear you want if you balance yourself correctly. I always speed up continuously, but some people ride mono all day in gears most people have a problem gettin up in the first place. I bet it's scary though..

·
EGYPT
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
foot down

sadly to answer your question, yes i try to put my foot down on the GROUND, i just get scared a little bit, i'm probably not even that high up, but whenever i do a good one i just think i'm gonna loop it! and my reflexes set in, to lean forward, or tighten up on the handle bars, or even put my foot down on the ground!:mad

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've got a 96 Ninja. I could never pop one in first then a lot of people told me to try second. After many attempts I finally popped a foot high wheelie about 2 months ago. It was an awesome feeling. I still can't ride it out or anything. It just pops up and then comes down. I'm still trying to figure out what to do to keep it going.

I did a clutch wheelie, took it to about 9k and let off the clutch. And up she went.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the best tool you can get is have someone video you doing it...it will show you that you are not anywhere near looping...i have been trying rear peg standups on my 929 and i thought i had them pretty high to the point of maybe going over till i lookled at them and now i know i got alot of work to do on getting my height up

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Re: Re: Wheelie A 500r Ninja

Zero Descendo said:
although some wheelie wizards might disagree, Im pretty sure that bike will ONLY come up in 1st, therefore you'll have to shift..
and when you say you're putting your foot down.. do you mean putting it on the brake or what? cause if you're trying to put it down on the ground thats pretty dangerous..

-matt *6
Although I've never rode a 500, I'm sure it's possible with a bit of clutch and bounce. Bring it down, let me try.

Jaxon, be careful with the rear peg wheelies. They are nasty. I wont even try them

·
EGYPT
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
soooooooold

well guys i just sold my ninja, so now i'm getting a 600 in 3 or 4 months.......that worries me a little!! but i think i'll be ok if i respect it! I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD THREAD GOING IN THE PIT AREA HERE IS THE LINK TO IT http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2398

PUT YOUR 2 CENTS IN THAT THREAD, I NEED ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Wheelie A 500r Ninja

nags said:
Although I've never rode a 500, I'm sure it's possible with a bit of clutch and bounce. Bring it down, let me try.

Jaxon, be careful with the rear peg wheelies. They are nasty. I wont even try them
Yeah, I remember Blake telling my dad about what you said about them. But my dad does them anyway. He said he does something that prevents the rear pegs from folding up. He's getting pretty good at them:

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
You can wheelie a 250 if you want to......

·
Registered
67 Posts
lol no way thats a real pic man:shake...lol...if it is all i can say is WOW where ya hidin the bottle of NOS....:eek...p.s. i wheelied daltons ex500 in 2nd gear and was doin some sweet endos on it too....not too far maybe 30-40 ft....but for a ex 500 thats distance...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts