Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting to be a real pain in the ass having to tip-toe on the F4, I was looking at all the options I have to be able to flat foot:

Lowering links
Shave the seat down
Lower the suspension

Just looking for some advice to make the right choice

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
Well unless it was really bad I wouldnt do anything but if you feel you must I would go with the seat first.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've shaved the seat down on my SV650 and that was surprisingly effective at creating the sense of a lowered bike.

Another thing to keep in mind is the profile of your tires. A 120/70 front tire can be about half-an-inch taller than a 120/60 tire - net effect.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you feel you have to, then have the seat shaved. Anything else screws with the bike's intended handling geometry.

Scott :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had the same problem with my bike (GSX-R600). I went with shaving the seat. It's easier and doesn't cost a cent. I was too afraid to mess with the suspension because I didn't want to upset the handling.

Here's what I did/learned... Instead of cutting pieces of foam out, I melted the foam down. I started to cut pieces out, but it made the seat uneven and bumpy. So I took a long metal rod that was laying around in the garage... heated it up and melted the seat down about an inch. My seat is as smooth as the stock, but thinner.

And RACER X is right too... you get used to it after a while. But its still a pain when you are trying to reverse the bike out of a parking spot.

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
14,005 Posts
I have the stumpy leg syndrome, myself. At a statuesque 5'7" I tip toe virtually every bike ever made. As Racer X has said, you do get used to it. Don't mess with lowering links, etc that will alter the suspension geometry unless you are willing to have it done right by getting your shock and forks shortened by a reputable suspension tech. just bear in mind that doing so will lessen your potential lean angle and during extremely aggressive riding could lead to the dragging of hard parts.....generally not a good thing.

If you absolutely need to get lower than stock, start with shaving the seat and go from there.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
karl_996 said:
he said he is 5'3", that would make his inseam alot less than 29".:nanana
Z has longer legs then me, and she's 5'-3".........so he may or may not have longer legs then me......:shrug

:redflip

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I agree with the others...definitely start with the shaving of the seat before you do anything! Or as Ed said, just adjust. It is tricky, but can and does get easier. I seem to be a lil taller then those that have posted(5'8'')but I am not all legs either..:laughing Good luck!!!

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
karl_996 said:
he said he is 5'3", that would make his inseam alot less than 29".:nanana
I'm 5'3" and I have a 28" inseam. :shrug I can't even flat foot a Ninja 250.

Yes, not being able to reach is something that you get used to. But, as a vertically challenged person myself, I can say that not being able to comfortably reach caused many "OH SHIT" instances that could have been avoided had I been able to get both feet down. You have more to overcome/learn as a new rider when you cannot comfortably get both feet on the ground.

BronxPlaya05, shave the seat first. The F4 has a ton of extra padding that can be removed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Keep an eye out for the next generation of Gixxer 600s or you can just hop on a 2005 Gix1000 (riding level should be adequate). That bike is tiny. The seat is very low to the ground when compared to other sport bikes, and the seat is also very narrow.

Sit on it for kicks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am 5'6" and when I first started riding, it bothered me not being able to touch down, but now it doesn't. I know I am three inches taller, but I am still veryshort.

When sitting at stop lights just use one leg and lean the bike into it. Don't try to back your bike up with you on it, that just gets embarassing. I always park where I don't have to back it up, and if I do, I have become quite good at spinning the bike on the kick stand.

Remember anything you do to lower you bike will cost you ground clearance. you start riding aggressivily you are going to be touching down early, especially on a F4. Seems the seats on honda's are already really flat arn't they. I couldn't imagine the plywood if you cut the foam out.

Learn to deal with it, is my vote.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
In retrospect, of the 10 bikes I've owned so far ground clearance has never been an issue on the street for me. And if it begins to become an issue for you it can be somewhat mitigated by hanging off or modifying your lines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.