Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
MotoGP World Champion
21,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SV650S right now, and it's OK in the twisties, but it absolutely sucks on concrete city streets or over bumps.........because it doesnt' have a true cartridge-style suspension.

What I'd like is a bike that is firm enough for the twisties, BUT absorbs bumps with as little jerking (vertical motion) as possible. All that jerking/bouncing gets really tiring on the elbows/shoulders/back/crotch.:(

So what bikes do you think are smoothest? Like in the 600-750 class especially. I've heard some good things about the ZX-7R, because people say it absorbs bumps mid-corner and is really stable (maybe because it's 450 lbs :laughing ). What do you think?

·
Registered
111 Posts
From what I"ve read....Gixxers are supposed to be super stable over bumps. Dad can't say enough about how well his 1k tracs.

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
CBR954
When only the best will do!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Avery said:
CBR954
When only the best will do!
Ditto on that one Avery!:thumb From power delivery to general ride it's pretty darn smooth.:D

·
U.S.A. #1
522 Posts
The CBR1100 and the Hayabusa are both excellent rides.

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
Kevin01'Busa said:
The CBR1100 and the Hayabusa are both excellent rides.
Because they are sport/touring bikes! :redflip

·
Huh?
7,412 Posts
Avery said:
Because they are sport/touring bikes! :redflip

:laughing still faster and more comfy than you :biggrin

:hail to the CBR XX

Dave

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
Krypt Keeper said:
:laughing still faster and more comfy than you :biggrin

:hail to the CBR XX

Dave
No argument there! 954 was not designed for comfort!!:D

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I also have to say the 'busa(it's not nicknamed the bus for nothing :)) and the XX. The VFR also but I'd say that's more touring than the above.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard that a SV is harsh over bumps. The suspension is very mushy while in the corners and that is the major complaint.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Hans, what's up dude??? As far as the smoothest, I think mine is damn smooth over the bumps. I'll let you take it for a spin and you can decide.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Also I always thought that a cartirdge fork would ride a little more stiff. Definitley a 929, R1, GIX 1000 or any SS will ride more stiff than the SV (Ihave ridden a few of them for comparison).

·
MotoGP World Champion
21,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
StrickSVS said:
Also I always thought that a cartirdge fork would ride a little more stiff. Definitley a 929, R1, GIX 1000 or any SS will ride more stiff than the SV (Ihave ridden a few of them for comparison).
Well, I am not looking to get a liter bike. I'm talking about the 600-750 class. As for cartridge forks, they SHOULD ride better, because a cartridge is designed like an automotive shock absorber --- it has shims that "open up" over potholes to allow the oil to get past them. The SV doesn't have that.....so it has no way of adapting to different road surfaces. Riding this thing over concrete slab highway is like being shaken to death......I can barely use the mirrors because they're shaking so bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Homeslice said:
As for cartridge forks, they SHOULD ride better, because a cartridge is designed like an automotive shock absorber --- it has shims that "open up" over potholes to allow the oil to get past them.

but they don't, the suspension is setup to be sport first then comfort. my 02 gixxer6 is a lot more harsh and vibrates more than my SV650S.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think any Supersport you buy will be a stiffer ride. Those bikes are meant to race, and a race bike will have a stiffer suspension. If you want something a little more plush, but still want performance I would look at a VFR. I would want the previous model though because I am not into the V-tec.

·
MotoGP World Champion
21,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
k27-R said:
but they don't, the suspension is setup to be sport first then comfort. my 02 gixxer6 is a lot more harsh and vibrates more than my SV650S.
Really? Forget about vibrations for a moment, what about simple bumps and cracks, and going over curbs & driveways? Which bike's fork absorbs them better?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts