Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have found a gem of a bike! It is a 1998 Red and White R1, with 5140 miles on the clock. This bike was realy taken care of... It has been sitting in this guys office for the last 2 years.( Bad for the original tank...It rusted out!) The bike is mint...Looks like the day it was on the showroom floor. I saw it localy advertized and was like ok, maybe it was a wreck bike brought in to this area! But after talking with the owner, I had to go and see it for myself....Well I have been looking for this particular bike for about 5 years. It all started back in 1998 when I bought my 97 YZF 1000R ( Thunderace). The sales man asked if I had ever owned a Sport bike? I told him that I wanted the Red/White R1. He convenced me to buy the YZf 1000 because it was not as radical as the R1....So the story goes..I didn't buy the RED/White R1.....

Well guess what? I bought it this time.....$5,600

The bike has its original tires, warning stickers and the oil has only been changed once! I did change the fuel filter, and oil last night . I was amazed when I took off the lower fairing. The exhaust pipes look like brand new, no rust or grime what so ever! Overall the bike need a little whipe down and some wax.

Well enough of this... on whith the picts.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Nice find thats a great deal :thumb

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
he found time to polish the frame though? :confused

Nice.. That is my favorite of the red/white/black combos...

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
congrats man, funny how things work out huh? I was looking for a 2K R6 red/white and black for a while. one day i check CF classifieds and saw one contacted the owner and he lives 5 minutes from my job. Went to check it out and bought it right there!!!! :banana Adult owned and well taken care of, it was a great find!!!! Again congrats on ur bike, it looks hot!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ian said:
he found time to polish the frame though? :confused

Nice.. That is my favorite of the red/white/black combos...
Yeah...that makes me wonder. But what a price.

·
Kid in a candy store
720 Posts
92f2 said:
5k miles and only 1 oil change? that aint good.
That's the first thing I thought of when I read it. If he changes it a few times over the next 1,000 miles or so, will he be OK? Does anyone have any ideas on this? I see a lot of low mileage bikes for sale and always wondered about the routine maintenance. I guess if it were me I'd probably go for a bike that was ridden more and maintained properly as opposed to one that was barely ridden and then just stored. What do you guys think?

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
It will be fine I'd guess. I wouldn't want to do that for every vehicle... But I'm sure the odds that the engine suffered some sort of damage is probably pretty low.

·
Registered
361 Posts
nice deal.wish i could have my 98 blue back.i really miss that thing.your bike looks very nice and clean.although i think i would have put the stock colored tank back on it.the red doesn't fit it imo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like a great deal, the bike looks great as well! Just go through the bike and make sure nothing is dry rotted! Looks great!:clap

·
Registered
182 Posts
WOW... love the red and white!!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Dude first thing is change the brake fluid, tires and oil. Then have a leak down test done. I would also treat it like a new bike and break it in accordingly. A bike that sits that long with the same oil may develop issues. Problem is that no matter what you are going to be dealing with moisture issues.....especially in the brake fluid.

Nice bike by the way..:thumb. I prefer the '02 Superbike colors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts