Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just built one last night,and im curious as to what kind of hardware you are running. I wonder how much hd space is enough for recording shows and whatnot, as well as what kind of case you have and all that. currently i have a huge ass case, loud ass fans, and whatnot. also where did you get your decoder? what works best? i got a cheap video card that can output to tv via svideo or component i dont think it can do hd tho... i dont know really its all new to me. so lets start a thread!

here are some of my problems :D
i got a 250 gb HD, boot times are crazy long now, i have some things ill try tonight such as pretending its scsi and removing jumpers from the drive

my fx 5300 video card (i think thats it) crashes when outputting to tv when i select live tv........ (woops im using the xp driver not the mce driver)

is media center edition good for playing games on? like can i use it as my main pc? this is currenly setup on my 2nd string pc, as my main currently has a fried array and is unusable, but i may switch it to my main machine when its repaired and then do all my gaming on it and shit... or is media center not a good os for doing everything? (vid editing, gaming, and shit) thanks fuckers!

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I bought a pre-built Dell system, so I can't remember exactly what's in it. I added a different video card (NVidia, but again, I don't remember which model) and have no problems with it. I'm also running MCE on the PC in my home office, but it's just a server for my extenders.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
PM Dirty_Dave!

Those media centers are very cool, and hes had his for a while & knows quite a bit about them. You can try asking Lzzybeth too, but I'm not sure if she knows much about it.

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nakedjig said:
I bought a pre-built Dell system, so I can't remember exactly what's in it. I added a different video card (NVidia, but again, I don't remember which model) and have no problems with it. I'm also running MCE on the PC in my home office, but it's just a server for my extenders.
extenders are something im interested in, how do they work? can you make your own?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
No, you have to buy them. They use remote desktop for the media center UI and a secondary network stream for A/V data. You can either buy an extender device, pick up the Media Center Extender software for the Xbox or buy a 360 -- the extender client is built in.

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting... getting my old xbox to do that would be sweet! might as well as i already have the hardware

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I have 400 gigs total storage on my PC, and that's about enough for me, for now. I have an older Dell machine, MX4400 vid card with DVI out. I'm just running VGA to my projector though. I'm also not running Media Center Edition... yet. This setup works pretty well for me, though I don't do any gaming on it. It also struggles to play full HD rez video, but that's not really an issue at this point in time.

I'll probably upgrade the whole computer this year sometime, at which point I'll go with a prebuilt Dell again, with MCE, decent video card, 5.1 audio, and maybe a TV tuner card. Don't really need anything too special. I'll drop my current hard-drives into the new machine.

I use my Comcrastic HD cable box for DVR duties, so I'm not really interested in recording shows to the hard drive right now, just movies and tv-on-dvd.

·
the fruit of my loins
6,518 Posts
bobanti said:
All I know is you should get this case http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc18.htm

7" lcd touch screen display!
IF you want to DIY, you can use a Sony PSOne screen, alot cheaper, but have to build that case yourself at that point. Also, no touchscreen, but I am not sure how I would even use a touchscreen panel, mebbe just mirror the desktop?

I have never seen media center xp so I am not sure if it even has a normal desktop lol

PSOne hack:
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004/07/07/psone_lcd/2.html

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
i've got one homebuilt from a left over machine. amd 1400, so it's pretty old. 512 megs ram, and well over 400 gigs of disk, happauge 150 MCE, and an ATI 9600 SE. I'm not using the TV out, but rather a monitor. I've also built one for my dad, but again, no TV out, just straight DVI out to his plasma. if you record at high quality, you can burn through 300 gigs suprisingly quickly. I'd recommend two disks, one for the OS and whatnot, and a seperate one for the TV. Normally, you don't need very high spec machines (esp vid cards) to make into media centers, so they tend not to make good gaming machines. That said, if you build essentially a gaming machine and put media center on it, everything will likely work smoothly. however, you don't want to be playing a game and recording something. i'm also running an extender via the Xbox, and i'm a fan of just setting up the main machine up in a closet, else buying $$$ silent components. going through an extender actually lets you take advantage of the extender's components for output to the TV as well. they are a bit slow, but liveable.

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how do you enable the xbox as an extender?

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
wingzero said:
how do you enable the xbox as an extender?
xbox 1 or 360? for 1, you get the kit drop in a cd in the main machine and a cd in the xbox. the xbox will give you a code that you enter into the main machine and that's it. oh the kit comes iwth a remote as well. the extender has nearly full control over the main machine's media center functionality.

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah xbox 1.. i guess you can just get it at best buy? or the microsoft store?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Spec said:
PM Dirty_Dave!

Those media centers are very cool, and hes had his for a while & knows quite a bit about them. You can try asking Lzzybeth too, but I'm not sure if she knows much about it.
Nope, I know nothing. As often as I find myself fumbling with that machine, I cuss that I'm going to get a TiVO!!! :laughing

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
wingzero said:
yeah xbox 1.. i guess you can just get it at best buy? or the microsoft store?
Yup. You get the disc, remote and the DVD dongle in a kit.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts