Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do people ask other people what bike they should get?

why don't you get what you want, not what others want?

these guys on these boards will not be riding the bike, you will.
Go to the ride days(if possible) and ride them. Form your own opinion, get the bike YOU want. not the popular bike.:thumb

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
It's called asking for advice. It's an easy way to get information about the different kinds of bikes.

Too much information never hurts.

·
Master Debater
3,090 Posts
taking advice from experienced riders. and maybe finding out if the bike has any problems

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I bought the Katana, I hadn't been on a bike in years, and the last thing I owned was a cruiser. I had been involved in bike racing for several years, and knew I didn't want to go back to cruisers, but I also knew I didn't want the fastest thing out there. Asking friends of mine, who raced and who also worked at dealerships, gave me a good idea of which models to look at and try out. I ended up getting the one I wanted, the one that fit me the best, and I've never regretted that decision. It was nice, however, to have an idea of what to try out for size when I walked in the door.

·
19,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
syk0path said:
taking advice from experienced riders. and maybe finding out if the bike has any problems
good point, but all the questions seem to revolve around the R6, the ZX6R(R) and the CBR600RR. Bikes that nobody would have reliability issues with yet(or have ridden).

My point is that bikes in a particular category are so close in performance, comfort, reliabilty and style, that it seems like people are asking which one they would look coolest on.(JMO)

I think get the bike you want, because they are all awsome bikes.:thumb

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just ask to get better insight. Many others have read about/ridden/worked on/had sex on/raced/wrecked more bikes then I have and have some valuable information to share. I do want a bike for my self and I alone will make the final decision but I want to make the most informed decision I can so 6 months later I am not cussing my self for not buying another bike. Also being that most dealers do not let you test ride I am hoping to get some insight on how it will behave on the road. The best way to do that is ask someone who owns or has ridden one. True this doesn't hold water with the new models but you can get some idea of how similar bikes have been in the past.

It's not to be a mind less sheep following the crowd, but a calculating predator carefully selecting its prey. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did it because I've never ridden the bikes in question, and I wanted to hear about them from people who have ridden them.

God knows a dealership wouldn't let me walk in a test out an RC-51...or maybe they would?

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
JGard18 said:
God knows a dealership wouldn't let me walk in a test out an RC-51...or maybe they would?
I agree....and it's too bad test rides aren't allowed. I'm sure that would eliminate a lot of the comfort/ergonomic questions that we see. It's hard to figure that stuff out just by sitting on the bike in the showroom.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Now a days I dont think reliability is an issue, but for me comfort is a big issue, just how a bike feels when you ride it. I would try to find out the subtle differences between them as well. I know when I bought my TL it was a toss up between the R the S and a ZX-9. Even though I like full faired bikes I went with the S because it felt the most comfortable, and I have not regretted it since.

I know a lot of people may do it for the poser factor, just trying to look cool for the curb monkeys,:confused

Tom

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Sometimes I don't think that the questions are as bad as the answers. If somebody posts a question "Which bike should I get" with the intent of gathering informed opinions, it isn't a bad idea. What we usually see in the way of answers are "Kawasaki's suck, get the Yamaha".

I also think that usually the people asking these questions don't know enough about the bikes to realize how close they are. I know when I was looking for my first bike, I had no idea that they are all so close.

·
19,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JGard18 said:
I did it because I've never ridden the bikes in question, and I wanted to hear about them from people who have ridden them.

go to a bike bike show(honda hoot, daytona, and eve local smaller shows). manufactuers usually have demo rides set up.:thumb

I have ridden: Hayabusa, ZX9R, R6(twice in two years, the exact same bike), VTR1000, RC51, F4i, and 929 all from ride days from the manufacturers.
your local dealer might have details on future events, or check manufacturers web sites.;)

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
LeanAngle said:
Sometimes I don't think that the questions are as bad as the answers. If somebody posts a question "Which bike should I get" with the intent of gathering informed opinions, it isn't a bad idea. What we usually see in the way of answers are "Kawasaki's suck, get the Yamaha".

I also think that usually the people asking these questions don't know enough about the bikes to realize how close they are. I know when I was looking for my first bike, I had no idea that they are all so close.
This is a good point, sometimes the people asking the questions dont know too much either. I always try to take it with a grain of salt. Fortunately I know enough now to ask the right questions and can weed out a lot of the bs.

Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think its good for people to ask good questions and find out specific information about the bikes beofre they get one. But if they are general what bike to get questions, those are pretty stupid. well, unless it is a "what dream bike does everybody want?" Cause those are fun to dream about.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Just remember, there are no stupid threads, just stupid people who start threads. :twofinger

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
TRC51 said:
I tell ya, that would be a tough call. I am very impressed with Kawi and my 12R, and that new Zx6RR is SWEET. But, I am also familiar with the R1 Ian has. If the R6 has the capability of the R1 with less motor, than MAN would I be swayed that way. Then again, you can't deny that Honda has the best fit and finish in the industry. And based on my history with my RC51 and Ian's old black bird, Honda builds some pretty tough bikes. In the looks department, they all are great IMO. The R6 turns my nut because the headlights are sweet and Blue is my favorite color. The Honda looks good because of its similarities to the GP machine (front fairing and undertail exhaust). The Kawi is all new this year and has some really trick options that come with it (shift light).

I wouldn't base the decision on power if I were you. You will never see a difference on the street. If you lose to a different bike on the street, they were a better rider.... probably applies mostly on the track as well.

In other words, I don't envy you. I would try and find a place that carries all four brands of bikes and try and compare them all at once. Sit on them, put your feet on the pegs, get behind the windshield (if you can), and see which one just plain looks better to you. You want to buy the bik that drives you crazy when you open the door to get it out. It's all about what makes you happy as far as your eyes are concerned, because like I said, on the street the performance of all these bikes are so close, it will never matter.

I just read this reply from TRC51 in BigBoySlim's "Which would you choose" thread. I think this illustrates my previous point. If all the answers in these threads were like this, the questions wouldn't seem so stupid. ;)

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
LeanAngle said:
Just remember, there are no stupid threads, just stupid people who start threads. :twofinger
:D :D :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everytime a friend asks me what bike to get, I give my opinion. But in the end they all say "whateva, whateva I'll do what I want!" And they buy what they wanted in the first place:confused

1 - 20 of 31 Posts